Oscillator performance on Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlux

I've been running some tests with 5 Teensy 3.1s to measure the onboard oscillator performance. I have a FS725 Rubidium source which puts out a 1pps tick that I run to pin 3 on the Teensy, and running a modified version of the FreqMeasurement example (to just put out raw counts, which is typically about 48,000,0000). Over a few hours, with the 5 boards sitting on my desk, they hold within a few tenths of a ppm, after a few minute warm up. If you subtract out the linear trend, it's slightly better. The fluctuations are almost certainly due to the air conditioning cycling on and off in my office, especially since they track pretty well.

Some plots are attached.

Attachments

• 5teensyfreqhoursvar1.jpg
    5teensyfreqhoursvar1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 280
  • 5teensyhoursavar.jpg
    5teensyhoursavar.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 5teensyhoursfreq.jpg
    5teensyhoursfreq.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 371
jimlux, are you aware of Constantin's work tuning the time and temperature features? I'm no time expert myself, but there are a few folks around here who seem pretty knowledgeable. Also there has been some detailed exploration into chasing down all the variability due to standard interrupts and running code out of flash vs RAM. Sorry to say, I didn't find a good links.

characterizing the performance of the teensy oscillator

jimlux, are you aware of Constantin's work tuning the time and temperature features? I'm no time expert myself, but there are a few folks around here who seem pretty knowledgeable. Also there has been some detailed exploration into chasing down all the variability due to standard interrupts and running code out of flash vs RAM. Sorry to say, I didn't find a good links.

In this case, the FreqMeasure library uses the K20's FTM to latch a counter whenever the 1pps comes in, and then it's unloaded by a (timing non-critical) ISR.

I was prompted to do this by a comment on the time-nuts mailing list (http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts where folks are interested in precise measurement of time and frequency) that mentioned the FTM module. What would have been more interesting is the ability to use an external clock (e.g. a stable 5 or 10 MHz) rather than the processor clock, but unfortunately, the external clock input pins are also used as the 16 MHz crystal pins.

There's an approximate block diagram in the K20 manuals, but it's always nice to get some real data. There can be extra resynchronizing stages between external pin and internal latch, for instance, which can add some non-determinstic delays. And if you're interested in nanosecond kind of timing, there's always the whole metastability issue in the synchronizer. The K20 appears to have a standard "two D latches in series" synchronizer driven by the 48 MHz internal clock at the input to the FTM logic.

In any case, I was interested in the relative performance of the on-board crystal too. I have a system which uses 5 teensys, and an application which relies on them being synchronized. Knowing the magnitude of the clock differences lets me figure out how often I need to synchronize them. For instance, if they need to be synchronized to within 1 millisecond, a 1ppm oscillator frequency difference will drift out of sync in 1000 seconds.

And, of course, I'm just curious. I don't know the part number for the crystal so I can't go look up it's nominal type. I suspect it's a AT cut (most common).

The idea of measuring the temperature to compensate for frequency shifts in software has been around for a while, and particularly with cheap CPU or FPGA horsepower, it's attractive as an alternative to a TCXO. A TCXO uses a temperature sensitive hardware component to "pull" the crystal frequency and compensate. That means the Q of the crystal has to be less (so it's pullable), which means the close in phase noise and jitter will be worse. The challenge is getting a sufficiently accurate temperature measurement (the most accurate thermometers are quartz crystals). A halfway decent crystal will have a frequency variation of 10s of ppm over 10s of degrees, so that implies that to get better than 1ppm (which is easy TCXO territory) you need to have temperature measurement to small fractions of a degree, which is difficult. In any case, if you're driving a digital direct synthesizer (DDS) with the oscillator, it's easy to program in a new frequency.

In fact, one of the cleverest schemes is to use a crystal that oscillates at both the fundamental and the third overtone, and compare those two frequencies. As temperature varies, the overtone doesn't go in strict x3 of the fundamental, and the difference is very predictable and can be used to accurately measure the temperature of the crystal. (This is called a MCXO in some of the literature).

Interesting idea Constantin had there of putting the 32kHz crystal on and using the difference to figure out the temperature.

In any case, the crystal is probably an AT cut (since that's popular for room temperature), and the frequency vs temp curve can be very well represented by a cubic function. So with, say, 5 different temperatures, one can solve for the coefficients and do pretty well at compensating.

That Epson crystal is either 10 or 30 ppm over the full temp range. If the former, you get about 5ppm in 5-10 degrees, or 1ppm/degree slope around 25C.

More interesting data.
I have a 15 hour run on the 5 teensys where I logged the temperature (measured by the on chip sensor) and the frequency. The attached plots show the frequency and temp vs time, and then vs each other. There appears to be some hysteresis (which is typical). in ppm terms, for a 48 MHz clock, 48 Hz would be 1ppm. So with a 7 degree temperature change, we're seeing a frequency change of about 90 Hz, that's about 1/3 ppm/degree which is quite large (but not unexpected).
com27longfreqandtemp.pngcom27long freqvstemp.png
I'm doing a 4 day run right now, with the processors in a cardboard box (to eliminate fluctuations in temperature from a/c blowing on it) to get a better Allan variance measurement, and with a temperature probe in the box, as well.
avar5long.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back