Refining touchRead on an LC - and Connecting to mac USB keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

notbart

Background;

I have been able to have true NKRO on a custom-keyboard using tactile switches directly from pin to ground w/o resistor; I decided that capacitive touch would be better..

I now have a capacitive touch keyboard consisting of "brass paper clips" directly connected to each Touch pin on the LC. It works great; outstanding and it does send true NKRO.

Here is the code I am using as a reference; (PS I am an economist w/o programming exp of any kind)

Code:
int numkeyspressed = 0;
byte keys[] = {KEY_W, KEY_A, KEY_S, KEY_D, KEY_SPACE, KEY_Q, KEY_E, KEY_R, KEY_I, KEY_J, KEY_K};
int touchit[11];
int tuning = 2000;
int xcount = 0;

void setup()   {
Serial.begin(38400);

}

void loop()
{

Keyboard.set_key1(0);
  Keyboard.set_key2(0);
  Keyboard.set_key3(0);
  Keyboard.set_key4(0);
  Keyboard.set_key5(0);
  Keyboard.set_key6(0);
  numkeyspressed = 1;

touchit[0] = touchRead(A9);
  touchit[1] = touchRead(A8);
  touchit[2] = touchRead(A5);
  touchit[3] = touchRead(A4);
  touchit[4] = touchRead(A3);
  touchit[5] = touchRead(A2);
  touchit[6] = touchRead(A1);
  touchit[7] = touchRead(0);
  touchit[8] = touchRead(1);
  touchit[9] = touchRead(3);
  touchit[10] = touchRead(4);

xcount = 0;
  for (int i = 0; i <= 10; i++) {
    if (touchit[i] > tuning) {
      xcount = xcount + 1;
    //  Serial.println(i);
      switch (xcount) {
        case 1:
          Keyboard.set_key1(keys[i]);
          //Serial.println(touchit[i]);
          break;
        case 2:
          Keyboard.set_key2(keys[i]);
          break;
        case 3:
          Keyboard.set_key3(keys[i]);
          break;
        case 4:
          Keyboard.set_key4(keys[i]);
          break;
        case 5:
          Keyboard.set_key5(keys[i]);
          break;
        case 6:
          Keyboard.set_key6(keys[i]);
          break;

}

}
    if (xcount > 6) {
      xcount = 6;
    }
  }

//Serial.println("xcount");
  //Serial.println(xcount);
  Keyboard.send_now();

delay(100);

}

1) Can use touch on more than the selected pins? (or are those the only touch pins)
2) I set a variable to be adjusted in the called called tuning to set a sensitivity threashold. I would like to set it with a variable resistor I guess I go from 5v to analog pin and then do a val = analogRead(0); (economist seeking a benchcheck here)
3) I want to make the touch function more sensitive because I want to put the touch sensor (the brass clip or some copper tape) under a graphic or under plastic. Would a resistor make the touch pin more sensitive? If so would would be a good resistor to use?
4) My setup works great on the PC but sucks on Mac. a) the mac is looking for ctrl to recognize and confirgure a new keyboard b) It sees the key commands but stutters (I am guessing because it does not know what kind of keyboard I have. Is there anyway to shake hands with the mac code wise; so it knows I am coming
5) I want to use this mini keyboard on laptops (I understand they may not be grounded); should I hook the ground pin of the teensy to an aligator clip for attachment to a physical ground?

Regards Bart

1) Those are the only native pins yes. The MCU may have more that are unwired. You may also use an analogue pin to mimic a touch sensor in software. See this
2) 5V -> Hside of Pot. Analogue pin -> Wiper of pot. GND -> Low side of pot
3) The higher the resistance the more sensitive but the lower the response. Think RC constants. Try a 1MOhm
4) Can't help you here
5) Laptops aren't grounded to Earth mains. But the USB ground and power ground will be joined so you won't need any extra connectors

Thanks Xenamour

1) Those are the only native pins yes. The MCU may have more that are unwired. You may also use an analogue pin to mimic a touch sensor in software. See this
2) 5V -> Hside of Pot. Analogue pin -> Wiper of pot. GND -> Low side of pot
3) The higher the resistance the more sensitive but the lower the response. Think RC constants. Try a 1MOhm
4) Can't help you here
5) Laptops aren't grounded to Earth mains. But the USB ground and power ground will be joined so you won't need any extra connectors

Xenamour.. thanks!

The only issue for me remaining is the Mac problem.

I think the LC cannot withstand 5v in. (the 5v support is for driving leds).. So I think I am going to go from the 3.3v pin not the 5.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back