Sourcing JST-PH connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
My google and digi-key searches are coming up with fewer results than I'd like, so I'm hoping someone around here may be of more use :)

For my project, I'd like to make it a bit more modular, so I don't have to solder things together while trying to assemble it, and so it's easier to replace a part or two in the event of failure. It's all in a pretty tight space, so I believe the JST-PH connectors are my best option.

Specifically, I'm looking for a set of 6-pin (2x3, preferably) male/female pigtails. Either half of the connection will be soldered directly to the boards (I'm using existing components, so using male board-mounted sockets and female-female cables are not an option). I can find m/f pairs of 2-pin assemblies all over the place, but it seems that anything above a battery connection is eluding me.

Any links or more specific/proper search terms would be great!

Thanks!

Well Adafruit sells these: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1665. I suspect if you search around, you might find them cheaper. I would prefer if the wires had different color coatings, to make it easier to solder the appropriate wire to the appropriate connector.

If you don't need the locking of the JST cable, you could go with a pair of 2x3 crimped connector housings, and male/female crimp pins, making your own connections and soldering the wire on the board:

I use these from time to time. I do have to check if the crimp pin is fully through the crimp connector when I'm attaching cables. There is no locking, so if your cables are stressed, they can come apart.

Alternatively, just get female/male 'dupont' wire cables, such as: https://www.adafruit.com/products/826, and cut the cables in half, then soldering the wires to your board, and use the male end to connect to the female end.

I've thought about using multiple protoboards (https://www.adafruit.com/products/1214 among many other boards), and re-create Arduino style shields using stacking headers. However, I don't recall seeing 3 pin stacking headers. You can cut down larger stacking headers to the size you need. If it is just connecting 2 boards, and you don't need heights, you can solder female headers on one, and male headers on the other.

You can get IDC cables that have 6 wires and go out to 2x3, and cut/solder the cable, but it is probably simpler to use custom crimped cables above.

I could imagine using tooless RJ-11 (6P6C) jacks (connecting the 6 wires to the jack) and using cat3/phone cables. Or use the RJ-45 (8P8C) connectors with cat5 cables. However, these are likely too big for your application. But it might be useful if the two boards are not close.

Last edited:
Try S2B-PH-SM4-TB at Digikey for one that mates with the connectors Adafruit puts on their Lipo batteries.

For 6 pins, just change the 2 to a 6, as S6B-PH-SM4-TB. Notice Digikey lists the mating connectors at the bottom of their products page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back