Change Micro USB Female to USB Male

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless

Is it possible to change the female Micro USB Connector of Teensy 3.2 to a USB Male plug (so I can directly plug in Teensy to computer)? Actually it should be possible, isn't it? Just need to desolder the female Micro USB Connector and then connect a USB plug to it, making sure the 5 connections from Micro USB go to the correct 4 connections to the USB plug? Am I right or am I off the track?

Am I right connecting the 5V connection of the USB plug to "VUSB" on Teensy 3.2? Can't really see on the picture... And I'm still not sure about the process of changing it, of course, I can solder the USB plug to the specified solder pads, but can I just unsolder the Micro USB Connector and leave it as it is, or do I have to change something there as well?

The Power/Gnd pins are easy enough, and yes you want your new USB 5V going into VUSB. Data wise you can 'probably' leave the existing plug or remove it at will, though the results there will depend on how robust the rest of the USB chain is, since it'll have a little stub on it in this case.

My suggestion would be to do at least the first one as a flying lead without removing the existing plug as a test, since once you try to lift that existing jack you are committed. Some of the linked posts above note that the tiny pads need a gentle had to avoid lifting them off as you solder them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back