PDA

View Full Version : stymied by a bug in my teensy audio object ...

mykle
03-13-2016, 07:31 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to implement a simple Karpluss-Strong object for Teensy Audio, and I'm having a hard time.
I suspect that something I'm doing is crashing the audio library, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

The object has one input, which is hooked to an AudioSynthNoisePink object, to use it as a source of
excitation for the KS buffer. Normally the KS object would take a small sip from that and then
start iterating on its own buffer from there. However, to simplify debugging, I whittled down my
update() method to the point that all it *should* be doing is copying its input to its output. And then
I reduced it to simply retransmitting the block it receives. Either way, I'm still getting the same problem.

The symptoms are:
-- When I trigger the KS object, I hear a brief burst of noise, then no audio.
-- On the second & subsequent calls to my object's update() method, the receiveReadOnly() method always returns NULL. (Why, I can't say. The gain is still set to 1.)
-- Once this has happened, I hear no more sound out of the library until I reset the Teensy. Completely unrelated objects that work before I trigger the KS object go silent afterwards.
-- All of my midi-event-managing code continues to run, and I get debugging lines from my object which assure me that update() is still being called regularly.

Other things I've tried:
-- circumventing almost all of the audio network & plugging KS directly into the i2s output did not help at all.
-- circumventing the KS object & running the noise directly into the rest of the network seems to work just fine.

... Anyway, I'm going to presumptuously post the current (messy, incomplete, in-process) code here, in the hopes that someone might have time to play spot-the-bug. Thanks in advance! -mykle-

B.Jacquot
03-14-2016, 07:19 PM
It sounds like it could be a buffer exhauation problem. A few things to check:

How many buffers are you allocating with AudioMemory() in steup()?
Are you calling transmit() and release() on the block?
You can check the number of buffers that have been used simultaneously with AudioMemoryUsageMax(). You should leave some margin between this number and the number allocated in steup.

----

Edit: I just took a peek at your code.

You need to call release() at the end of update().

PaulStoffregen
03-14-2016, 07:50 PM
You *must* release your hold on the audio block after transmitting.

Transmitting does not release your hold on the block.

mykle
03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
You mean I need to release the block I get with receiveReadOnly()? That's probably the problem, because I'm definitely not doing that. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

mykle
03-14-2016, 11:12 PM
Yes, that was exactly the problem. Much thanks!