Pins Available on Teensy 3.2 with Audio Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hutchcmu

Is anyone aware of a quick reference that shows/tells how many analog and digital pins are available to use on Teensy 3.2 after soldering on the audio board? I know this can be figured out referencing the schematics but just wondered if anyone knows or has done this so I can use as a second check.

Also, any opinions on best practice for using the analog input solder pads? Solder wire directly? Bend a flat pin and solder? I'm a newbie so I apologize if this is an elementary question.

I wrote this document for my own use (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...4ZridMGn-Yw2zyfYeeePysx2DKE/edit#gid=89568765).

In summary:
  • 0-5 available;
  • 6 is available if you don't solder the memory card to the board;
  • 7 is used by the card;
  • 8 is available;
  • 9-14 (A0) are used by the card;
  • 15 (A1) is the trimpot that can be soldered on the card for use as a volume switch;
  • 16-17 (A2-A3) are available;
  • 18-19 (A4-A5) are used for the i2c bus (I didn't record what i2c addresses are used by the card);
  • 20-21 (A6-A7) are available;
  • 22-23 (A8-A9) are used by the card;
  • A10-A14 are available;
  • 24-33 are available.

Last edited:
I have a copy of the postcard that I've marked up.

teensy-audio-pins.png

• X's are pins used by the I2S interface.
  • Squares are the SPI interface.
  • The dashed X's are for the onboard trimpot

Digital 0 through 5, 8, 16, 17, 20 and 21 are all available.

If you're not using the extra memory or SD slot, you can also use 6, 7, 10, 12 and 14.

As for the pads on the back side, they're laid out to take a 2x7 surface mount header, which you could then plug into something else, like a ribbon cable, or pad-per-hole protoboard.

So at a bare minimum it looks like:

9 DIGITAL
5 ANALOG
10 DIGITAL or ANALOG

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

In summary:
0-5 available; 5 DIGITAL
6 is available if you don't solder the memory card to the board;
7 is used by the card;
8 is available;
9-14 are used by the card;
15 (A1) is the trimpot that can be soldered on the card for use as a volume switch;
16-17 are available; 2 ANALOG or DIGITAL
18-19 are used for the i2c bus
20-21 are available; 2 ANALOG or DIGITAL
22-23 are used by the card;
A10-A14 are available; 5 ANALOG
24-33 are available. 6 ANALOG/4 DIGITAL or 10 DIGITAL

So at a bare minimum it looks like:

9 DIGITAL
5 ANALOG
10 DIGITAL or ANALOG

Well in addition, if you want to use a serial line, only Serial1 (pins 0/1) is available by default. You can use Serial2 if you use the alternate pins underneath the Teensy.

If you use SPI, you need to validate that it will work with the SD card, use an unused pin for CS, and use the alternate SCLK pin (A0/14).

The Audio card uses the I2S bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back