New Teensy 2 isn't detected and blinks fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogged

I'm only using the Teensy for a keyboard, so nothing crazy and no source code to post really.
Right out of the box the Teensy blinks fast instead of slow when plugged in. Hitting the push button turns the LED off as it should, but the Teensyloader still doesn't recognize the board.
Verbose info doesn't give me anything when I plug in the board or hit the push button.

If I try to flash the blink example from teensyduino verbose info gives me:

status data sent
remote cmd: "status"
remote connection closed

then teensyduino says that the restart command failed and to hit the push button. Nothing changes after this.

I've tried different cables that work with other devices, different user profile, different computers running Win10 and Win7, restarting the computers, and following the troubleshooting steps of holding the button then plugging in and releasing the button.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I got it from falbatech.pl along with most of the rest of the keyboard components. They seem to be reputable enough. I'll take a close look when I get home to try and find out if it's counterfeit.

I did a bit more digging and couldn't find the teensy in my HID devices even when it's in halfkay mode.

Well I think this case is closed. Looks like I got a counterfeit. It never really crossed my mind that someone would go out of their way to make fakes of a chip that's ~$20. Here's a link to a pic of the "Teensy 2.0":
http://imgur.com/R3RfSOP

Near the USB port the components don't match up to the teensy pinout. In the bottom left corner the components are laid out incorrectly. There are also a couple areas where the components aren't quite in the right place.
It's probably safe to say it's a fake. Thanks for the help!

Yup, that's definitely a counterfeit. :(

If you bought it just recently, contact the seller. Or contact Paypal or your bank and maybe they can recover your money if you show them you were sold a fake.

Yeah, I'll probably try to get my money back. If I can't it isn't the end of the world, like I said it isn't a costly component.

It's probably possible to do ISP programing on the thing, though if you only have one wouldn't take long for the time for looking up the pins, wiring it up and working out the build environment to add up to more than the cost of the new part.

And yes would be fascinating to know the process behind the existence of multiple different Teeny clones, each of which must have had a non zero design and setup cost and would have needed a serious production run to give economy of scale and would have been chasing a pretty narrow margin.

All customers who have received defective "clone teensy 2.0" will get new original pjrc. We apologize for any inconvenience. We changed the part of the supplier. So the problem will not be repeated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back