Teensyduino 1.31 Beta #1 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.31.

Edit: old beta test linkes removed. Full non-beta release is here:
http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

The only change since 1.30 is support for Arduino 1.6.12.

Arduino 1.6.12 has a faster build process (caches include dependencies) and supports Mac OS-X Sierra.

I compiled encoder lib, bounce and ili9341-t3. I still had to apply KurtEs hacks to ILI9341_t3.cpp and avr_emulation.h to be able to use pin 27 as alternate SCLK(0). Otherwise all compiled fine on WIN10-64.

Last edited:
Hi, I tried to upload the code to a teensy 3.1 and it builds but teensy loader doesn't detect the teensy, I tried to push the teensy program button. I have used dmesg in terminal and it says:

AMFI: allowing exception handler for 'Arduino' (7295) because the process is not restricted.

Also, in the port selection menu, the teensy doesn't appear. I'm using Arduino 1.6.12 with teensyduino 1.31-beta 1 in macOs Sierra. :(

Edit: I have tried "system_profiler SPUSBDataType" on terminal and the output doesn't change when I plug the teensy.

Last edited:
I compiled encoder lib, bounce and ili9341-t3. I still had to apply KurtEs hacks to ILI9341_t3.cpp and avr_emulation.h to be able to use pin 27 as alternate SCLK(0). Otherwise all compiled fine on WIN10-64.
I would not necessarily call them hacks, they are simply changes to add those pins as valid options. In some cases it made the code slightly more complicated in that, before there were only two options for MOSI or MISO or SCLK, now there are three. So the code that encoded this can no longer use 1 bit to say which one you are using, now it requires 2 bits per each...

There are still outstanding Pull requests to fix this which include:
Cores: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/cores/pull/173
ILI9341_t3: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/ILI9341_t3/pull/31
SPI: https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/SPI/pull/20 (actually not sure if Wozzy used this one, added another valid CS pin)

I have now downloaded 1.6.12 and installed this beta and used winmerge to verify that the only things different in my two trees is the above changes, which I then reapplied.

Note: One change that I see made this beta was the fix to core_pins.h which fixed the problems with the count of Analog pins and PWM pins.

Kurt

Also, in the port selection menu, the teensy doesn't appear.

Can you look at Arduino > About to double check the version of Arduino and Teensyduino?

If no Teensyduino version is shown, seems likely Teensyduino didn't actually get installed to this copy of Arduino. Maybe try running the installer again? Perhaps double check the location of Arduino before installing. During install, the "?" button can show you how the installer is detecting Arduino. Maybe check that it's really seeing 1.6.12?

Odd - my 1.6.11 won't complete a build of audio memoryandpu test. I must have munged a file - it is dying in SD . . . building for T_3.6. Will clean up and try again later for T_3.2.

Don't have time to look - I wonder if one is building with a local sketchbook/lib and the other is not?

I did see the error 5 seconds faster on my SSD copy during Verify build at 26 versus 31 seconds.

On my SSD 1.6.12 it completed in 33 seconds.

There is a difference in the INCLUDE indications? IDE 1.6.11 is picking up SDFAT from sketchbook\libraries and 1.6.12 is not using that at all? And 1.6.11 is giving me this batch of errors. Same machine - same sketch - Windows 10.

Notes:
SKETCH - unchanged :: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\MemoryAndCpuUsage
That SDFAT I think is the BETA_T_3.6 thread version.

IDE 1.6.11::
Code:
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:25:57: error: 'void (* SdFile::dateTime_)(uint16_t*, uint16_t*)' is not a static member of 'class SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:33:28: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::addCluster()' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:46:35: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::addDirCluster()' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:61:44: error: no 'dir_t* SdFile::cacheDirEntry(uint8_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:74:27: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::close()' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:91:71: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::contiguousRange(uint32_t*, uint32_t*)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:130:44: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::createContiguous(SdFile*, const char*, uint32_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:158:36: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::dirEntry(dir_t*)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:178:50: error: no 'void SdFile::dirName(const dir_t&, char*)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:201:46: error: no 'void SdFile::ls(uint8_t, uint8_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:245:58: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::make83Name(const char*, uint8_t*)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:284:57: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::makeDir(SdFile*, const char*)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:384:74: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::open(SdFile*, const char*, uint8_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:476:68: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::open(SdFile*, uint16_t, uint8_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:502:64: error: no 'uint8_t SdFile::openCachedEntry(uint8_t, uint8_t)' member function declared in class 'SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:550:26: error: 'uint8_t SdFile::openRoot' is not a static member of 'class SdFile'
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:550:26: error: 'SdVolume' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:550:36: error: 'vol' was not declared in this scope
C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD\utility\SdFile.cpp:550:41: error: expected ',' or ';' before '{' token
Multiple libraries were found for "SD.h"
 Used: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD
 Not used: C:\arduino_16_11\libraries\SD
Using library Audio at version 1.3 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio 
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI 
Using library SD at version 1.0.8 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD 
Using library SerialFlash at version 0.4 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash 
Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire 
[U][B]Using library SdFat at version 2016.7.24 in folder: i:\tcode\libraries\SdFat [/B][/U]
Error compiling for board Teensy 3.6.

IDE 1.6.12::
Used: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD
Not used: C:\arduino-1.6.12\libraries\SD
Using library Audio at version 1.3 in folder: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI
Using library SD at version 1.0.8 in folder: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD
Using library SerialFlash at version 0.4 in folder: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash
Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino-1.6.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire

Last edited:
As far as TIMING - I removed the i:\tcode\libraries\SdFat - BOTH take 33 seconds to compile!
IDE 1.6.12 :: 33 seconds
IDE 1.6.11 :: 33 seconds

IDE 1.6.12 :: 33 seconds ::
Using library Audio at version 1.3 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio
Using library SPI at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SPI
Using library SD at version 1.0.8 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SD
Using library SerialFlash at version 0.4 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\SerialFlash
Using library Wire at version 1.0 in folder: C:\arduino_16_11\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Wire

IDE 1.6.11 :: 33 seconds ::

I haven't noticed any speed increases when compiling. I mostly use libraries like SDfat, Ethernet, ...

I did see a lot of improvement when upgrading from 1.6.8 to 1.6.11 though.

Last edited:
I did not notice much (any?) change in speed. Are we expecting it on the first compiles of the program or more on subsequent compiles?

Can you look at Arduino > About to double check the version of Arduino and Teensyduino?

If no Teensyduino version is shown, seems likely Teensyduino didn't actually get installed to this copy of Arduino. Maybe try running the installer again? Perhaps double check the location of Arduino before installing. During install, the "?" button can show you how the installer is detecting Arduino. Maybe check that it's really seeing 1.6.12?

OK, problem solved. It was a faulty teensy 3.1. I have tested with other new teensy 3.2 and it works perfect. Thank you for your help :).

FASTER 1.6.12 :: RECOMPILE TIMES - no code change :: MemoryAndCpuUsage
// #include <Audio.h> #include <Wire.h> #include <SPI.h> #include <SD.h> #include <SerialFlash.h>

4-5 seconds on 1.6.12 [ Win 10 pro - i7 from SSD - TD_1.31b1 ] - tested 3 times. :: Versus first compile 33 seconds noted above.

12-13 seconds on 1.6.11 [ Win 10 pro - i7 from SSD - TD_1.30 ] - tested 3 times (and repeated).

On a T_3.6 default compile with
Sketch uses 108,080 bytes (10%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1,048,576 bytes.
Global variables use 14,676 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 247,468 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262,144 bytes.

I did not notice much (any?) change in speed. Are we expecting it on the first compiles of the program or more on subsequent compiles?

opps - I didn't do that - the first compile would being exhaustive isn't a surprise - speed up would be on subsequent rebuilds.

Last edited:
subsequent compiles?

Subsequent compiles are supposed to be faster.

It's also supposed to do this for multiple windows. When you open another window, the first compile of that code might redo everything. But as long as you don't change the board, usb type, cpu speed or keyboard layout, each window is supposed to reuse compile work from its previous builds.

Arduino 1.6.12 appears to be the first version of Arduino to ever really get this fully working as it should. Maybe?

I tried compiling the vocoder which has a fair bit of data and, of course, a fair bit of the audio library. I deleted one blank line in the .ino file so that it would force a recompile of that particular module. It is a wee bit faster the second time around.
First time compile 52 seconds
Second time 7 seconds.
In previous versions of the IDE, the second and subsequent compiles seemed to take almost as long as the first time.

Pete

On Mac OSX 10.9.5 (Mavericks) with Teensy 3.2

updated
to: 1.6.12 and 1.31-beta1

No problems at all, very clear on Teensy side.

Recompiles of 'Audio/Tutorial/Part_1_03Playing-Music' after changing only volume went from over 30 seconds to less than 1. Yaaaah

Opening second window with 'Audio/Tutorial/Part_1_04_Blink_while_playing', 1st compile about 11secs (because same library's ?), then switch between windows with same Teensy and recompile again less than 1 second !

Last edited:
Beta 1.31 works perfectly with arduino 1.6.12
I use
Code:
#include <SPI.h>
#include <ILI9341_t3.h>
#include <EEPROM.h>
#include <I2Cdev.h>
#include <i2c_t3.h>
#include <ADS1115.h>
#include <TimeLib.h>
#include <ADC.h>
#include <CapacitiveSensor.h>
#include <FreqCount.h>
#include <PID_v1.h>
#include <medianFilter.h>
in my project. To be noted I2Cdev lib support perfectly i2c_t3 lib and offers a large choice of devices/sensors libraries.

Please check the direct pin accessing is not accepted.

/*
Blink
*/

#define LED 13

#define LED_ON (PORTC |= (1<<5))
#define LED_OFF (PORTC &= ~(1<<5))

void setup() {
pinMode(LED, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
LED_ON; // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
delay(1000); // wait for a second
LED_OFF; // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
delay(1000); // wait for a second
}

I'm using 1.6.12 with T 1.31 it works! (macOs Sierra)
it compiled correctly:
#include <ADXL345.h>
#include <L3G4200D.h>
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

this evening I'll try to use this complied....

Teensy 3.2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back