Male jack cable + connector for line-in

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjrcbear

Hi,

In my project I need to hook up Line-In to a cable that will have a male jack at the end. I currently solder the wires from my cable which requires a bit of manual labor and risk. I'd like to get rid of that and stick in headers so I can simply "plug in" the jack/cable into the Audio Adaptor.

What I'd like ideally is something like this, where one end is the male jack, and the other end is a female header connector.

However, due to the physical layout of the connectors on the board, I can't use the header above, which seems to be common on PC hardware (at least that's how I remember it from the days I used to build PCs with good old SoundBlaster cards!). For the audio adaptor I would need something like a 2x2 connector instead.

Does that exist? (I couldn't find it)
Is there another way I'm missing?

How do folks do? Solder the wires to the board?

If the Audio Adaptor was going to get a new rev, would it make sense to adopt a 3x1 header layout for Line-In?

Thanks for any insight!

Those pins inside the header are attached to the wire and typically just latched inside the header with a small spring of metal. If you had one of those you should see open holes on one side and deftly pressing the spring tab should release the female crimped pin end (before tugging it out). You could then - perhaps after putting a sleeve of shrink wrap over the exposed metal - press those onto pins as needed without the 'inline header' shroud.

Those pins inside the header are attached to the wire and typically just latched inside the header with a small spring of metal. If you had one of those you should see open holes on one side and deftly pressing the spring tab should release the female crimped pin end (before tugging it out). You could then - perhaps after putting a sleeve of shrink wrap over the exposed metal - press those onto pins as needed without the 'inline header' shroud.

Cool! That's pretty creative!
I wonder if those crimped ends would fit in Pololu's connector housings... It would be great if it was interoperable...

Quite probably looking at those they may latch in - but you can see though those have a flex lock on the housing unlike the last ones I looked at. On those that plastic 'leg' lifts up to let the crimped end pass. They release more easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back