sample/manipulate/jam instrument w/ Teensy. Possible???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

Hey gang!

So I am considering building a audio sample/manipulate/jam (SAMAJA?) type instrument with the Teensy3.5 + Audio Adapter. You can think of the instrument as a crude mashup between the volca sample and the op1 and the electribe 2. But obviously much much much simpler than those. The goal is to create a cheap, simple, minimal instrument with decent sonic abilities and great jam potential.

I have not done any teensy projects since 2012 so I am a bit behind on things.

Here are some of the key features I am hoping to achieve with this instrument.

HQ Sampling from either line in or on board mic. Sample length max 15s.

Sample Manipulation. Each sample can be manipulated with two encoder knobs. Sample manipulations I am after: Volume, Pitch, HP filter, LP filter, Amplitude Modulation, Pitch Modulation, Filter Modulation, Delay, Reverb, Chorus, Distortion, Attack/Release.

Sample Save. Samples can be manipulated one effect at a time and then, when complete, saved to the sample bank. Would be cool if the entire sample could live in memory until saved to the bank.

Jamming/Mixing. Samples from the sample bank can then be triggered and added into a 4 channel looping timeline (kinda a pseudo sequencer). You can add the sample to any one of the four layers. All four layers play at the same time and loop according to the tempo. Some quantization would be helpful too.

The interface I have in mind uses a 3.5" TFT display, 4 encoders, 9 switches, 3 pots. (Hopefully not too many to use up all the Teensy 3.5 I/O)

My question to the community is what seems hard/impossible/red-flag/etc. How much of this is turnkey given Paul's rad audio design GUI?

:cool: THANKS! :cool:

15 seconds is a really long sample. At full 44.1 kHz 16 bit, even Frank's memoryboard gives only 9 seconds.

I've been considering adding record to RAM and external RAM objects, and expanding the play from memory object a bit. So many ideas.... just need more coding time....

Most of those effects exist in the library today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back