SGTL5000 signal routing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I poked around a bit with the audio tool and searched the forum a bit and haven't found the answer, so I'll ask.

In the SGTL5000 datasheet it states that it's possible to route the mic input to the A/D and D/A to the line output while simultaneously directly routing the stereo line in to the headphone amp. Has anyone attempted this? This would allow (in a musical instrument application) the ability to route a mono signal in and have an "insert" before the stereo headphone amplifier for external stereo effects.

If it is truly possible it opens a huge door for me!

Furthermore, the SGTL5000 datasheet seems to indicate that there is some amount of internal equalization/filtering available in hardware. Again, does one of access to this with the existing Teensy audio libraries?

Thanks!

Jamie

Yes, the audio library supports quite a lot of the SGTL5000 functionality, mostly that's to Rob's efforts in 2014.

It's all documented in the design tool when you select the SGTL5000 control object. Look at the right-side documentation panel:

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/gui/?info=AudioControlSGTL5000

Rob's earliest work mostly just exposed the chip's many features as functions. Then he moved to the route() function. But when I wrote the documentation, that part was just too complicated. I reduced it to three functions, audioPreProcessorEnable(), audioPostProcessorEnable() and audioProcessorDisable(). The assumption is the chip's quite flexible routing is really only useful for certain usage cases.

I must confess, I personally have not used the SGTL5000 digital audio processor much. It's not nearly as powerful or flexible as the audio library, but maybe you can make some good use of it. If you do find any rough edges in the documentation, or if you come up with anything interesting and want to contribute, I'd love to merge pull requests that add more examples of how to actually use this stuff. The examples we currently have in File > Examples > Audio > HardwareTesting > SGTL5000 are from Rob's work a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back