Using two Teensy as one

Status
Not open for further replies.

apt2b

Hi all,

My project requires numerous analog outputs, for this reason I'm going to use 2 Teensy 3.6's and 2 Audio Adapter boards - I'm told with these I can achieve 8 unique analog output signals.

How would I go about programming two separate teensy's and their audio boards so that they operate as one, allowing me to achieve precise timing in when each output is activated. I apologize if this question is vague or trivial, but I'm a beginner at making multiple devices communicate.

Thanks!

-apt2b

What's the application? What's the level of accuracy on the timings and why? How accurate do you need to read/write your signals? How often do you need to refresh the output?
Using two audio adapters will give you four inputs and four outputs, is that what you want?

The only answer to your question is that there are numerous ways to synchronise the operation of two devices. It's certainly possible, and can be done quite accurately (and precisely), but needs context.

Hi all,

My project requires numerous analog outputs, for this reason I'm going to use 2 Teensy 3.6's and 2 Audio Adapter boards - I'm told with these I can achieve 8 unique analog output signals.

How would I go about programming two separate teensy's and their audio boards so that they operate as one, allowing me to achieve precise timing in when each output is activated. I apologize if this question is vague or trivial, but I'm a beginner at making multiple devices communicate.

Thanks!

-apt2b
You need 2 Teensies and 4 (four) Audio adapters for 8 channels.
To synchronize the whole system, one of the teensy is the master for I2S MCLK, frame sync, and bit-clock, the other teensy acts as slave,
Suggest however, to start with one teensy and one audio adapter, later get 2nd adapter added, before addressing an 8-channel system.

They're always going to be 2 separate processors. You can program in various ways to coordinate their actions. This will involve communication between the boards, and how it's done will depend heavily on the details of your project. There isn't any one magical answer. It's all about the finer details.

Communication between the boards is the key. So is communication here on the forum, and it seems you've put even less info into this new thread that your prior one.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/42035-Multiple-Phase-Shifted-Mono-Outputs-(8-)-Possible

If you want help on this, it's important to talk about the details, like exactly what the phase shift or time delay is, how it varies (or if it even varies) over time and relative to each channel.

One pitfall you should try to avoid, which we see novices sometimes make, is starting many new threads here on the forum. That's not against the rules, but it is counterproductive. We're real humans here who have the ability to understand and help answer based on experience. But when you start new threads and ask only a narrow question, without the background info and without much explanation of your project and what you're really trying to accomplish, at best you can get only narrow technical answers. But without context, without giving us the ability to truly understand what you need, usually the results aren't very useful or helpful for your project.

Sorry, I didn't realize my other thread was still floating at the top of the other sub forum. In trying to collect my thought I hastily made this one, and that was a mistake.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back