Teensy 2.0 ++ USB Mass Storage variable mounting time

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter222

Hi,
i'm working on my thesis and as a project i want to demonstrate some HID attacks. Some of the attacks need the teensy to be both keyboard and USB Mass storage, i have the SD card Adapter soldered. The problem i'm, having is that on the windows 7 the Generic USB Mass Storage is taking too much time to be recognized and mounted. At first i had a teensy 2.0 that i think at first was mounted below 10 seconds, then it slowly gone to 50 seconds and then it bricked (it was a ebay clone, lesson learned!), now i have purchased a official teensy 2.0++ and i'm seeing the same thing, the usb mass storage mounting time is not consistent.
To summarize i want to reliably have the mass storage as soonest possible from when i plug the teensy
So what i'm asking is:
a) Is the mounting time supposed to vary on each use?
b) I read somewhere about windows caching the usb devices, is that a thing? can i delete something to make it faster to mount?
c) can i edit some .h files to speed things or optimize the process?
d) Will it help if a change vendor,product id?
e) can set a "priority" and tell teensy to run the code after is been recognized as Mass Storage.

Most of the attacks execute scripts and save the output on the teensy Mass Storage, so sometimes i have to wait more than a minute to complete.
Tested on 3 win7 machines.

Note: If i put a delay somewhere(top,bottom) in the setup() it usually affects the mounting time.

Details:
Teensy 2.0 ++
SD card adapter
Samsung Evo 16gb HC U1
Arduino 1.0.6
Teensyduino 134

Last edited:
The problem i'm, having is that on the windows 7 the Generic USB Mass Storage is taking too much time to be recognized and mounted.

I'm afraid you probably can't do much about this. Long ago, many low quality USB drives were made which did horribly wrong things if accessed too soon (even though the USB spec says all USB devices must be ready 10ms after the USB reset pulse). Microsoft responded by adding a fixed delay before they begin accessing the device.

Whatever you're up to, I hope it's legitimate security research being performed to the highest ethical standards.

Off course it's legitimate if want to do pen testing i would buy a rubber duck or something plug & play. I am documenting the flaws and demonstrating the attack process.
Do you remember at the time you were testing it, if it had the same behavior?
What is the difference with the simple USB flash drives that is recognized in 5-10 seconds versus the teensy that it takes 40-50 seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back