Line level converter between pi and teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomen

Hi Im going to try serial to serial comms between a pi and teensy and I was wondering if I needed a line level converter between the 2 to drop 5v to 3.3v for the teensy?

And sorry I know it is General but in what other instances would I need to use the 5v to 3.3v dropper
Thanks
Tom

Which Teensy are you using? Most of them already have 3.3V signals. Voltage conversion is only needed for Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ 2.0.

Which Teensy are you using? Most of them already have 3.3V signals. Voltage conversion is only needed for Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ 2.0.

Hi Paul sorry should have been specific! I'm using a 3.6

I was wondering in what instances you'd need to use a line level converter? I'll be getting the pi to chat to the teensy and then the teensy back to the pi but the teensy will mainly drive servos and steppers etc via a pca9685 and stepper motor controller and some neo pixels

I should get my lecturer to post up his project he did a neural network of teensys and some modular synths generating cool oscilloscope patterns

Both Teensy 3.6 and Raspberry Pi use 3.3V signals, so you can just connect then directly as long as the wires are "short". Under 6 inches is probably considered short wire for this purpose.

For long wires, you'd use a converter to RS232 or RS485 signal levels, which are meant to communicate longer distances.

For a board like Teensy 2.0 with 5V signals, or Intel Edison with 1.8V signals, you'd need to convert voltage levels. But in this case, both are 3.3V signals, so it's fine to just connect them directly.

Both Teensy 3.6 and Raspberry Pi use 3.3V signals, so you can just connect then directly as long as the wires are "short". Under 6 inches is probably considered short wire for this purpose.

For long wires, you'd use a converter to RS232 or RS485 signal levels, which are meant to communicate longer distances.

For a board like Teensy 2.0 with 5V signals, or Intel Edison with 1.8V signals, you'd need to convert voltage levels. But in this case, both are 3.3V signals, so it's fine to just connect them directly.

Thanks Paul,
Really appreciate you taking the time..

my next assignment is involving a teensy and ableton live through max.. I was wondering if you could suggest the best way to interface? just usb direct to pc/mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back