How to describe the teensy 3.6 more than a review ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cedrick

Hello everybody, I'm a futur teacher of technology in middle school in France, before to start the job I have to pass 2 exams. I have succed to the first but for the second one I need to make a technical file presenting a objet than can be use for educational programming purpose. I'm new too programming and choose to present the teensy 3.6 intead of a arduino commun board. So I take a look to PRJC site, and found some documentation but I don't know how the mcu k6 serie work I don't have time to find the info in 2000 pages. I need some help to try to expose all the technical parts of the teensy 3.6, benefits use it for teaching.
And sorry if my english is not correct.

Sorry I am not sure what type of information you are looking for. Maybe others have a better understanding of types of information and details you want for this.

You might try looking through the information on the KickStarter page for the Teensy 3.5 and 3.6: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paulstoffregen/teensy-35-and-36

You might take a look at the page on the PJRC website that compares all of the Teensy boards: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/techspecs.html

Then you can look at the technical documents: As you mentioned one is about 2000 pages long, but you get get a lot of information in the first few chapters, plus look at the start of many of the other chapters.
There is also a second document which gives you some of the electrical like information which is something like 88 pages long.

But again it is hard to know what else to say. You have all of the obvious things here like:
a) It uses the Arduino IDE and while the internal architecture is very different than the AVR processors of boards like the Arduino UNO, a lot of work has gone into making the software be as compatible with the AVR code as possible.
b) Speed? Architecture? ... Not sure what you are wanting here.
c) Lots of standard protocols and the like: Things like 6 uarts, 3 SPI buses, 4 I2C, CAN, PWM, Audio support, SD...

Good luck

Thanks for your reply, it's help.
But I trying to be more precise, I have to produce a technical file (40 pages max) in whitch I describe the manufacturer, the product with all parts like this on the arduino : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/bb/e6/5e/bbe65e24bd15e46302e2c14440b4dc0d.jpg, and also their performances and functioning, and finaly the IDE with some educational projets.

After sending my file I need to defending it oraly in front of a jury.

What is your time frame? Sounds like you need to get some Teensy 3.6's and get some "hand's on" experience.

The linked item is a blow up picture with pin and part labels. Those are available for Teensy - each ships with 'The Card' - those images are on the PJRC website as is a full Schematic showing the electrical connections. Other have posted spreadsheets of pin functions and details - they are scattered on the forum.

Another thread that may be of use is this one that collects some scattered info links: Wiki-Coming-Please-link-worthy-posts
It covers a variety of topics and features.

Other resources could be Hackaday or similar product reviews published showing how Teensy does what an "Arduino" can do - but faster and better. Once you get an outline of the features and functions you could ask specific questions or find them here on the forum in existing posts perhaps.

As it is your graded project we'd appreciate seeing the final paper - but cannot do the work. Anything any "Arduino" can do Paul has generally made the Teensy able to do in a compatible way. The goal of that is making the hardware uniform with all the complexity/capability expressed in the software which leads to the IDE. 40 pages sounds like a lot - but longer books are out in large number focusing on Arduino from IDE to Hardware, so 40 pages likely won't allow for broad coverage, but require some focus. Perhaps looking at the published books would show where no book covers what you are looking to accomplish?

Thanks again. I'm going to check this link out. I don't have a lot of time (all must be ready for monday at 8:00 am), I know I'm in late, I had 15 days to do it but I did not find a product that people don't talk about much intead of arduino. So I can show my final work here, but I will "google translate" it before, because it's in french. In the first part I'm going to talk about the project PRJC, I don't get enough infos on it (the starting of the company, the employes, the manufacturer...) but keep investigating. Then before describe the hardware part of the teensy 3.6 (specs, I/O, mcu, speed clock,...) explain brievely how a arm cortex-m4 functioning (don't know how actualy, becausse I keeping looking for some info to understand it first and explain it with technical word, like suppose to do) and finaly expose the arduino compatibily libriries and IDE for programming in middle school in France. I study iniatialy Networking, and maths and never go to programing because I was thinking, it was too hard for me, but now in France it's a obligation to teach programming and robotics. So here we are...

With 10-15 days coming up with a good end product would have been do-able - given a Teensy and some Arduino IDE experience.

Good luck
+1

Much of what you could hope for is in the posted links above and https://pjrc.com/teensy/index.html { open and follow all the left pane links }. Paul did provide a history of PJRC on Kickstarter as I recall. Between the Teensy 3.0 and 3.6 Kickstarter documents and the associated updates there is a great deal of info for an overview of the technical details we started with leading to the forum where everything else happens outside the source code.

I think the Teensy is a bit more advanced than what I would recommend for a starting group in programming. It is a very powerful board, and has so many advanced features that you would need to spend years to understand them all. Teensy's 3.6 are for DSP functions, and it requires a lot of learning before you can really use the hardware correctly. Do not get me wrong it is a awesome product. However your students need to learn the basics first. Plus you state that your not a programmer, so how are you going to teach the awesome of the teensy if you don't even understand an Arduino??? Just my 2 cents go for it if you want but I think your students have to learn to walk before running...

Never heard an update - a couple days to generate a proper paper?

But The T_3.6 does blink and anything simple as well as the slowest most minimal Arduino out there - a perfectly good place to start - and more room to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back