Activate CAN termination resistor using software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

Hello,
I have a project that will use CAN. In CAN network there must be 2 (and only 2) resistors called "termination resistor", or ZT. These ZT are 120ohms resistors mounted between CAN_H and CAN_L.
I want to allow the user to use, or not, the ZT in my project by selecting this "parameter" in the software.

I plan to use an opt-isolator drive by an teensy digital output (here D21). The purpose of using a opt-isolator is to isolate the CAN network from the logic. Do you think my schematic will operate ?

Thanks,
Manu

Attachments

• zt_teensy.png
    zt_teensy.png
    10 KB · Views: 112
i would assume the opto will pass HALF the time as the signals switch, i'd rather use something like a 74HC4066 analog switch, you just need a 1 CH chip similar instead of 4-CH. this will close the contact to enable the resistor flow both directions similar to a relay (without clicking) :)

also, if you can detect the resistance already on the bus, you could have it automated instead of using a gpio.

Thanks Tonton for this answer.
The opto will pass ALL the time as a signal switch ;-)
I wasn't aware about this kind of analog switch. I'll will inquiry about it soon. A quick look at datasheet show a Lon ON resistance of 50ohm. This will be take in account to have a 120ohm final resistor.
Regards,
Manu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back