Standalone Drum Machine with Teensy3.5 + Adafruit's MAX98357A I2S Amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigslo

Hello, I wanted to build a drum machine with the following specifications in mind:
  1. The sensors would be piezo which would be hooked up to the analog inputs and a couple of switches hooked up to the digital inputs of the Teensy3.5. At the moment, there would be a total of 11 piezo sensors for the pads (2 for snare and rim, 3 for toms, 2 for hihats, 4 for cymbals) and 2 switches (1 for closed and open hihat, 1 for base drum).
  2. I want it to be a standalone module, with no requirement for laptop/computer.
  3. I want it to be able to play multiple samples at a time, maybe up to 6-8.
  4. It doesn't need to be very loud as this is meant for practicing at home.

I have built one earlier with an arduino which is basically a MIDI device, requiring a computer/laptop to generate the sound. Though the device works, it is not very practical as setting up a laptop with the softwares takes time and sometimes would not work properly. I looked around online again for suitable alternatives but since my knowledge on electronics and budget are quite limited, most of the standalone projects I found are just not feasible for me.

Then I found the Teensy3.5 and thought this might work. I was thinking I would load the drum samples on the micro SD card, play the appropriate samples when a sensor is detected on the inputs of the Teensy. Would this be possible especially with the 3rd requirement (playing multiple samples at a time) I mentioned above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back