Teensy 3.6 Bricked? Any way to do a system reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw

Hi there!

So I was uploading a pretty basic program (AnalogReadSerial example I believe). Not the first program I have uploaded, as I've been using the board for about a week now. But just wanted to play around with some analog input stuff.

Halfway through uploading, I made the mistake of opening the serial monitor. I've noticed in the past you can't have the serial monitor open while you program, so I'm guessing some conflict must have happened in this case, as once the upload would have "finished", I couldn't see anything on the serial monitor.

Now, I cannot upload anything to the board :( even the blink program won't upload succesfuly. The Arduino IDE keeps prompting that "Teensy did not respond...please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch", as it usually does the first time you upload. However it keeps doing this again, and again, and the teensy loader program does not have any change once I press the program button. I have tried with my Teensy 3.2 and the blink program uploads fine, (and yes I am changing the right Teensy board back and forth in Tools > Board).

Any help? :( I'm in Australia and so the 3.6 costed me nearly $55 to get here in my hands, so would be a shame if I have properly bricked it and there's nothing I could do.

I see on the schematic, the USB programming lines are routed directly to the processor - so I'm hoping there may be a way to reset the chip. I could be wrong but :(

first make sure serial monitor is closed. suggest using teensyduino 1.42 beta 5 from announcements section of forum.

Unplug teensy from usb. Try to compile (compile, not upload) in the IDE the led blink example. when teensyduino app opens, click on Auto to put it to manual mode. While holding the program button on teensy, plug it in the PC. You will see 2 new buttons enable on the teensy app. click upload. when its done, click reboot.

if the led starts blinking you should be fine

Tony

Opening SerMon during program shouldn't be able to harm it. Sounds very odd but - not related to the USB lines { those only work when the Teensy is healthy } the on board 2nd MCU has been provided a way to do a reset on the T_3.6.

Get a stop watch handy.

Plug in the T_3.6

As the Button is pressed start timing 15 seconds - after 15 seconds release the button.

If nothing else was wrong and the timing was right that should have the Teensy fully flashed and reset to a usable state - no factory blink - but bare and ready to run.

Open the IDE to a simple blink and see what happens when programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back