Is Teensy right for a full electronic drum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I'm working on an electronic drum and I'm hesitating between a Teensy and a Raspberry PI as the master. I would strongly prefer using a Teensy as I'm more comfortable working with microcontrollers and C rather than Linux.
I was hoping the master could handle the audio, communication with slaves and LCD interface.

Each drum pad is built from multiple piezo sensors and has its own atmega328P controller.
Each drum pad microcontroller is connected to the master through RS485.
The master is pooling the slaves for information about strikes.

I'm wondering if the Teensy will be up for the task. My main concerns are:
-there might be many simultaneous strikes at once, wondering if the teensy audio can handle it. I've read that 4 sounds can be played at the same time. What happens if a cymbal sound has a pretty long duration, and many of them are struck one after the other?
-lcd refresh rate, I've seen the Optimized ILI9341 library, and I think the delays are very impressive. The screen is more about configuration, so I don't think it would hurt during playback as I don't want to focus on showing pad strikes effect/info on screen. I was also considering using a RA8875 DRIVER BOARD as a bigger screen would feel nicer.

Thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back