Cannot get Arduino IDE to talk to Teensy 3.6 (Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

regrehan

I apologize if this question has been asked before and I have not found the associated thread.
I cannot seem to get Arduino + TeensyDuino to work with my Teensy 3.6 board.
I am running on an HP Pavilion, Linux Mint 18.1 (Ubuntu Xenial), Oracle JDK 1.8.

Steps I took (following instructions in the PRJC Teensyduino area as best as I could):
* Downloaded 1.8.8 Arduino IDE code for 64-bit Linux.
* Installed Arduino IDE (install.sh)
* Ran the arduino-linux-setup.sh script.
* Rebooted (as it requested)
* Copied the 49-teensy.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d
* Installed TeensyDuino
* Installed the new pde.jar file (to get rid of the Java exceptions ... found that tid-bit via Google)
* Selections on the Tools menu show:
Board: Teensy 3.6
USB Type: Serial
CPU Speed: 180 MHz
Optimize: Faster
Keyboard Layout: US English
* I note that "Port" is greyed out at all times

I bring up the "Blink" sketch. I click the "Verify" button. The Teensy Loader window opens with "Press Button on Teensy to manually enter Program Mode". I note that "Auto" is highlighted.
If I push the button on the Teensy, the LED turns off, and that's it. There is no indication that the sketch was uploaded.

I would have thought that I would see a /dev/ttyUSB0 entry with the Teensy plugged in ... but I do not. I have a USB-to-TTL serial adaptor that I've used to communicate with my Raspberry Pi Zero, and when I plug that in, I do see a /dev/ttyUSB0 device (and 'Port' in the Arduino IDE is no longer greyed out). I don't know if that's meaningful or not.

Have I missed a step? I am happy to entertain any ideas.

--rg

If I push the button on the Teensy, the LED turns off, and that's it. There is no indication that the sketch was uploaded.

Are you sure your USB cable is good? This is exactly what happens with charge-only cables, which have only power wires but no data wires.

On all Linux systems, you can get info from the kernel syslog. It will print info as USB devices connect & disconnect. I don't use Mint, but on Ubuntu the command is "tail -f /var/log/syslog". Mint might use a different way, but the concept is the same. You want to watch the kernel syslog messages.

Are you sure your USB cable is good? This is exactly what happens with charge-only cables, which have only power wires but no data wires.

Whoa ... do I feel like a klutz ...
I had (I thought) eliminated the USB cable as the problem. During testing, I grabbed a second one from my Big Box O' Cables ... seems I just swapped one charger-only cable with another. So, based on what you said, I got my trusty Kindle cable and -- BINGO.
Problem solved. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back