Teensy 3.6 and UDA1334A I2S Right pinout? - White Noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzalf

Hi guys

I am working on a big Audio project that aims at processing audio signals coming from a PDM microphone preamplifier.

The I2S device that I am using is a cheapo UDA1334A that works pretty well with Teensy 4.0 (so far)

I recently started my first steps wiring up a Teensy 4.0 (with the help of this thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/57925-Teensy-4-with-UDA1334A-I2S-decoder-MCLK-not-needed) with success. The example from the previous thread with some minor tweaks works like a charm.

Now, I want to replicate the same result on a Teensy 3.6. The reason being that I tried to compile the following PDM test code for the Teensy 4.0 without success. However, when I do it for Teensy 3.6 it compiles with no errors.

When compiling for Teensy 4.0 I get the following errors:

Code:
C:\Users\XXX\Documents\test_pdm/test_pdm.ino:38: undefined reference to `AudioInputPDM::begin()'

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_593556\sketch\test_pdm.ino.cpp.o: In function `loop':

C:\Users\XXX\Documents\test_pdm/test_pdm.ino:68: undefined reference to `AudioInputPDM::update()'

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_593556\sketch\test_pdm.ino.cpp.o: In function `AudioInputPDM::AudioInputPDM()':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio/input_pdm.h:37: undefined reference to `AudioInputPDM::begin()'

C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_593556\sketch\test_pdm.ino.cpp.o: In function `AudioStream::AudioStream(unsigned char, audio_block_struct**)':

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy4/AudioStream.h:130: undefined reference to `vtable for AudioInputPDM'

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I am pretty sure that I am missing something or I simply don't clearly understand how the whole library works.

Code:
#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>
#include <Bounce.h>

#define MUTE_SOUND HIGH
#define UNMUTE_SOUND LOW

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
AudioInputPDM            pdm1;           //xy=242,248
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=614,247
AudioConnection          patchCord1(pdm1, 0, i2s1, 0);
AudioConnection          patchCord2(pdm1, 0, i2s1, 1);
// GUItool: end automatically generated code

Bounce button0 = Bounce(0, 10);
Bounce button1 = Bounce(1, 10);  // 5 ms debounce time
Bounce muteButton = Bounce(2, 10);  // 5 ms debounce time

const int mutePin = 13;

bool mutedFlag = false;

void setup() {

Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("********* Initialising Audio I2S Moudule: UDA1334 ******************");
  Serial.println(" Asisgning pins...");

pdm1.begin();
  pinMode(0, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(1, INPUT_PULLUP);
  pinMode(2, INPUT_PULLUP);

pinMode(mutePin, OUTPUT);

Serial.println(" Asisgning Audio Memory...");
  AudioMemory(10);

Serial.println(" Turning output ON...");

digitalWriteFast(mutePin, UNMUTE_SOUND);

}
void loop() {
  pdm1.update();
  button0.update();
  button1.update();
  muteButton.update();

if (button0.fallingEdge()) {

Serial.println(" Button 0 pressed...");

}

if (button1.fallingEdge()) {

Serial.println(" Button 1 pressed...");

}

if (muteButton.fallingEdge()) {

if (mutedFlag == false) {

digitalWriteFast(mutePin, MUTE_SOUND);
      Serial.println(" Muted Sound!");
      mutedFlag = true;
    } else {

digitalWriteFast(mutePin, UNMUTE_SOUND);
      Serial.println(" Unmuted Sound!");
      mutedFlag = false;

}
  }

}

I am having a lot of trouble trying to understand this thread: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/46719-Finding-I2S-Pins-on-Pinout-Diagram

My apologies but it is NOT clear at all to me what pins are the adequate ones for connecting a Teensy 3.6 to the I2S decoder.

Right now I have the following connections:

Pin 9 (Teensy) to BCLK (UDA1334)
Pin 22 (Teensy) to DIN (UDA1334)
Pin 23 (Teensy) to WSEL (UDA1334)

The only signal I can hear is white noise! (Meaning that I am reading random bytes only, as I understand)

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Stay safe and thanks in advance

dzalf

Hi guys

So I found a solution to my problem.

TL;DR: Add a 10 nF between Mute pin and GND from the UDA1334.

Troubleshooting process:

After checking my connections for the 1000th time I realized that I should also check the extra wiring that I used for testing the decoder with the Teensy 4.0.

It turns out that when wiring the Mute Pin from my UDA1334 to, say Pin 13, from the Teensy 4.0 and using a button to mute the sound everything worked normal.

However, doing the same with Teensy 3.6 caused tremendous white noise that I solved by adding a 10nF capacitor to the Mute Pin. This is extremely odd to me since the connections are identical with both microcontrollers and the issue only occurs with the 3.6 Board.

So, there it is. The example code works with the previous pinout but be aware that you might need to connect a capacitor to ground in order to filter out any noise present on that particular pin.

Now, I am having problems with the PDM microphone that I mentioned before but I will explain that in another post.

Thanks and have a good one!

dzalf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back