Use of single pin for serial TX and RX on T4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinC

Hi,

I am trying to connect an SRF01 range finder to a Teensy 4.0. This uses a single serial line for send and receive. It also needs to be able to send a long break to wake up communications. Full tech details here: http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/srf01tech.htm

The example with the device (which works on all other Arduino type boards I have tried) uses SoftwareSerial with the same pin for input and output. From there input output is pretty easy. I've put this sample code further down this post. This does not seem to work on a T4.0. I've tried various pins (2,3 11 and 12). No joy.

I have read that HardwareSerial is to be preferred. I can see that lets you change the attached pins - but not sure if that will work attaching TX and RX to the same pin. I also need to be able to send a long break by temporarily switching to an output pin and going LOW (see sample code below). Will this work?

Finally is the any more documentation on the T4.0? Most Teesyduino documenation misses the T4.0 except for a few exceptions. For example, where can I find which pins work with HardwareSerial other than the default pins on the pinout card.

Or any better ways to get the SRF01 working with the T4.0?

Code:
#define SRF_TXRX         2                                      // Defines pin 5 to be used as RX and TX for SRF01
#define SRF_ADDRESS      0x01                                       // Address of the SFR01
#define GETSOFT          0x5D                                       // Byte to tell SRF01 we wish to read software version
#define GETRANGE         0x54                                       // Byte used to get range from SRF01
#define GETSTATUS        0x5F                                       // Byte used to get the status of the transducer

SoftwareSerial srf01 = SoftwareSerial(SRF_TXRX, SRF_TXRX);      // Sets up software serial port for the SRF01

void setup(){
  srf01.begin(9600);
  Serial.begin(9600);
  srf01.listen();                                         // Make sure that the SRF01 software serial port is listening for data as only one software serial port can listen at a time

delay(200);                                             // Waits some time to make sure everything is powered up
  Serial.println("SRF01 Example 2");

byte softVer;
  SRF01_Cmd(SRF_ADDRESS, GETSOFT);                        // Request the SRF01 software version
//  while (srf01.available() < 1);
//    softVer = srf01.read();                               // Read software version from SRF01

}

void loop(){
  byte hByte, lByte, statusByte, b1, b2, b3;

SRF01_Cmd(SRF_ADDRESS, GETRANGE);                       // Get the SRF01 to perform a ranging and send the data back to the arduino
  while (srf01.available() < 2);
  hByte = srf01.read();                                   // Get high byte
  lByte = srf01.read();                                   // Get low byte
  int range = ((hByte<<8)+lByte);                         // Put them together

Serial.println("Range = ");
  Serial.println(range, DEC);                                // Print range result to the screen
  Serial.println("  ");                                      // Print some spaces to the screen to make sure space direcly after the result is clear

SRF01_Cmd(SRF_ADDRESS, GETSTATUS);                      // Request byte that will tell us if the transducer is locked or unlocked
  while (srf01.available() < 1);
    statusByte = srf01.read();                            // Reads the SRF01 status, The least significant bit tells us if it is locked or unlocked
  int newStatus = statusByte & 0x01;                      // Get status of lease significan bit
  if(newStatus == 0){

Serial.println("Unlocked");                              // Prints the word unlocked followd by a couple of spaces to make sure space after has nothing in
  }
   else {

Serial.println("Locked   ");                             // Prints the word locked followd by a couple of spaces to make sure that the space after has nothing in
  }

delay(100);
}

void SRF01_Cmd(byte Address, byte cmd){               // Function to send commands to the SRF01
  pinMode(SRF_TXRX, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(SRF_TXRX, LOW);                        // Send a 2ms break to begin communications with the SRF01
  delay(2);
  digitalWrite(SRF_TXRX, HIGH);
  delay(1);
  srf01.write(Address);                               // Send the address of the SRF01
  srf01.write(cmd);                                   // Send commnd byte to SRF01
  pinMode(SRF_TXRX, INPUT);
//  srf01.listen();                                         // Make sure that the SRF01 software serial port is listening for data as only one software serial port can listen at a time
  int availbleJunk = srf01.available();               // As RX and TX are the same pin it will have recieved the data we just sent out, as we dont want this we read it back and ignore it as junk before waiting for useful data to arrive
  for(int x = 0;  x < availbleJunk; x++) byte junk = srf01.read();
}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back