Teensy 4.1 Stereo + Analog in possible?

donperryjm

Hello Paul and friends,

I am a long time user of the teensy 3.5. I use it in my audio device to process sounds along side 2 analog inputs. I have to be careful not to use the same analog input bus as the bus dealing with the audio processing.

But that leaves me with mono sound only. Question is, does the 4.1 support stereo while doing analog input? Is there a way to do this? I only need 2 analog inputs with this.

Audio input on the ADC pins is still a work in progress on Teensy 4. So far only mono exists, and it's best described as "experimental" at this point. It will eventually improve, but perhaps not until sometime in 2021 to be realistic.

On Teensy 3, you can't make use of the ADC with analogRead or the ADC library while the audio library is using it.

Teensy 4 has a peripheral called ADC_ETC which is meant to allow multiple threads or unsynchronized programs to share the ADC. I'm happy to say the (still very experimenal) audio library code is making use of ADC_ETC. But so far analogRead() is not. I also hope to eventually update analogRead() to access the ADC through the ADC_ETC rather than directly using the ADC's registers. In theory that could allow use of analogRead() on the same ADC hardware as the audio library is using. It might also allow for very reliable use of analogRead() from both interrupts and main program context.

So to specifically answer your "Is there a way to do this" question, on Teensy 4 we do have this pretty amazing ADC_ETC hardware which (probably) does provide a way to reliably have both audio and main program share access to the same ADC hardware. But the software support to easily make use of that hardware is still in its infancy.

If you want to explore the ADC_ETC hardware, it's documented in chapter 67 of the IMXRT1060 reference manual (rev 2) starting on page 3371.

The Teensy 4 audio library code using it can be found in input_adc.c starting on line 216. The basic idea is one of the timers sends a sample rate trigger pulse to the ADC_ETC, which is programmed to access the ADC and send trigger events to the DMA controller. One of the other fairly experimental aspects of the code is capturing (oversampling) at 4X the audio sample rate and a low-pass filter. Removal of DC offset, details of that filtering, dealing with slight mismatch between the timer and audio sample rate, and setting the overall audio level after all this processing are still things in need of much more work and testing.

Eventually I will do more work on this stuff, but that is unlikely until well into 2021. I'm currently working on a variety of things involving the bootloader and new hardware. I'm just 1 guy and I can't do everything all at once. I need to prioritize my dev time. Sadly, that means this ADC stuff isn't going to get a lot of work until well into next year.

But for some good news, the answer to "does the 4.1 support stereo while doing" is good. Quad I2S works, and it's fully independent of this ADC stuff, so it can indeed be used while doing the currently-limited ADC input.

Quick note: There are some places in the ADC library for T4 that does use the ADC_ETC stuff.

In particular, if I remember correctly it is when we were adding in the trigger by a Timer (Note: we overlap in both using QTIMER4 timers...), it also uses XBAR to glue it together.

Note it is all very crystal clear 8) in the Reference Manual how all of the pieces work ;) Maybe at some point we should update some of the PWM file to show others are using the timers.

Edit: In particular I used Quad Tiimer 4:0 and 4:3 as they did not have any IO pins associated with them.

And you can see some of this code in ADC_Module.cpp in method: ADC_Module::startQuadTimer(uint32_t freq)

Also I know that @mjs513 also had an example setup for this where we setup the ADC_ETC chain to be able to read more than one ADC Pin...

All I can say is thanks for the work you have done so far, and I await the external trigger control support whenever it is ready :)

Back