Alternative FastLED and PWM 3.3v to 5V high speed digital isolators

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I need to have only two channels of isolation, one for WS2812 Fast LED signals and the other for a PWM signal to a motor. The motor is variable Hz to demo the effect of going too high and too low on the controller.

Using the Teensy 3.5 but may switch to the 4.1 later.

So I think I need a pretty fast Isolator. I found this HCPL 9030 for the two channels. https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/AV02-0137EN

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how I should make this work? Is it powerful enough to drive the LEDs? They are 1m away and only 60 of them. The Mosfet Driver chip TTL at 5v and has inbuilt resistors.

I think I dont need a resistor on the input, but still need 100k on the output for the LEDs.

These are CMOS isolators, not opto-isolators, so standard CMOS input and output behaviour. Outputs good to 4mA from
what I can tell, fine for any logic input. The WS2812 input is just CMOS logic signal.

Each side is isolated and needs its own logic supply matching what its connected to.

Internally there are tiny pulse transformers to provide the coupling across the isolation barrier. They are driven for
2.5ns or so at high current on each logic transition, so don't forget decoupling caps mentioned in the application
section of the datasheet.

These are CMOS isolators, not opto-isolators, so standard CMOS input and output behaviour. Outputs good to 4mA from
what I can tell, fine for any logic input. The WS2812 input is just CMOS logic signal.

Each side is isolated and needs its own logic supply matching what its connected to.

Internally there are tiny pulse transformers to provide the coupling across the isolation barrier. They are driven for
2.5ns or so at high current on each logic transition, so don't forget decoupling caps mentioned in the application
section of the datasheet.

Thanks for the quick reply - it is quite a learning curve designing a controller for a schools F24 Greenpower electric car, trying to make it super efficient and demo the limits! There is more than one team looking at the Teensy to do the controlling since I put it on the FB page to share!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back