[queued] Teensy Pixel Pusher (DuotrigesimalWS2811)

bamos

I just want to share a breakout board I've been working on for a couple of years. This is a takeoff/expansion of the octoWS2811 for the Teensy 4.1, that brings 32 pins out to the RJ45 sockets instead of the 8 available on the octo board. It also pulls out the ethernet onto the board for ethernet access. I designed this to run my christmas lights. It can also run a matrix, or any other WS2811 project. The code linked to below is specific for E1.31 data, but could easily be modified to receive commands via another method, such as USB, or from a file on an inserted SD card. Since the T4.1 has so much more built in capabilities than the other PJRC boards, especially with the onboard ethernet, I needed a breakout board that would access more of the power of this board than the octoWS2811 was capable of. This board is primarily an expansion of that awesome board. I want to thank everyone on the forum who has helped me get this working, and especially Paul for giving us all the awesome Teensy 4.1 board to play with.

2022-01-08T03-53-26.803Z-DTG_0.2.jpg

The main improvements on the octoWS2811 board are:
  • 32 Pinouts
  • Onboard Ethernet
  • Onboard Power Regulation (6-12v input, 5v delivered to chip)

The sync pin wasn't brought out, as I didn't need to sync multiple boards. The math says this board should support up to 32,000 pixels. In practice, I've only got it up to about 4,000.

github: DuotrigesimalWS2811 board design
github: Example code for e1.31 input data
youtube: project video

I've made my prototype production extras available on tindie.com. If there is interest, I'll keep the store stocked.

This is awesome! Added myself to the tindie.com waitlist, so I hope you'll consider stocking more :D
I've been looking at options to upgrade my light show from a Teensy 3.2 to a Teensy 4.0 or 4.1. This would give me a ton of room to expand and has the horsepower to run my show at 60fps (or higher).

I have more boards on order. Just waiting for them to show up. I’ve been working on a few changes to the board so once I get the ones in I’m waiting for, I probably won’t order more til I’m done making changes. Mostly just making it work with easier to get parts.

I’m also working on a splitter board that takes rj45 (signal) and power in and has screw terminals to connect light strands. I have a few prototypes available on tindie as well. I won’t create a new post about it here until I have the full kit built and tested. I just soldered everything to the prototype board for my show this year. You can see them in the build photo on this post. I do have a few of those available, and more in production. The new ones in production have a fuse holder on them for some power protection as well.

Back