Midi and Serial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Having great fun with my Teensy 2 in arduino, but this MIDI usb stuff is a little bit of black magic. Yesterday everything was working fine and then suddenly I was unable to access the serial monitor when in midi usb mode, getting Error starting teensy_gateway. I've reset everything I can think of to reset but nothing. When I make it a serial usb device it works fine. Any suggestions? Feel free to treat me like I have no idea what I am doing.
Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, it's not possible to use both MIDI and serial data transmission at the same time. I might be wrong, but that's what I remember. Perhaps you could explain your project a bit more and we could come to a different solution?

EDIT: Wow I didn't realize this was such an old post, my bad.

When you use MIDI, or any of the non-serial modes, Teensy emulates a serial channel using HID protocol.

The "teensy_gateway" program is the other half of that emulation. When you open the serial monitor, teensy_gateway is supposed to run automatically, listening for the HID protocol and making it available to the serial monitor.

I don't know why your system is no longer able to run the teensy_gateway program.

Maybe try with a fresh copy of Arduino and install Teensyduino. Also, reboot, in case your operating system is somehow holding memoory-based resources in use or locked. Maybe a fresh start with a fresh copy will let teensy_gateway run again?

As a side note to this question: Is teensy_gateway open source? It seems like it would be a handy way to write some custom drivers that can also interpret the faux-serial data and use it for other things. Right now I just use the emulated serial for development/debugging purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back