Mini T3 BaseBoard for the Teensy 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

t3andy

Mini_T3_BaseBoard.jpg

Mini T3 BaseBoard for the Teensy 3

I was talking to my next door neighbor and mention to him that I needed
a smaller version of the development T3 BaseBase for the Teensy 3.
He said "you mean a reverse evolution of the T3 Baseboard?"
A few hours later, the Mini T3 BaseBoard was born. A tiny mini baseboard for the Teensy 3 which
still contains a solid modular connection system.
With this new mini PCB form factor, the Teensy 3 could be launched into the wild
blue yonder using the Teensy 3 as a low cost solution. DIYDrones are U listening?

Mini T3 BaseBoard Features:

20 4 pin modular JST connectors used for the Teensy 3 GPIO.(SeeedStudio Grove compatible)

1 amp +3.3 VDC power regulator with reverse polarity protection for extra bus power.

2 SPI modular connectors with chip selects.

3 I2C modular connectors with power and ground.

10 digital modular connectors with power and ground.

4 analog modular connectors with analog ground.

2 1x14 stacking female headers for breadboard testing OR

2 1x14 sip female headers for breadboard testing.

1 power-on green LED for bus power indication.

2 silver dome Tac switches. One for MPU reset and the other for the program bootloader.

A very flexible power setup configuration with only two jumpers.

All thru hole components for easy user assembly except for 4 surface mount 0805.

Pads for RTC backup. (VBAT and ground)

50% PCB form factor reduction reduced the board cost by ~50%.

Board size = 1.9" x 2.5 " or 4.826 cm x 6.35 cm

The Mini T3 BaseBoard does not have the following features like the bigger development T3 BaseBoard:

No series current limit protection.

No current limit protection for the Teensy 3.

Missing 1 extra SPI and I2C bus modular connectors.

Missing the user test LEDs and spare JST modular connectors.

No PCB mounting holes and extra GPIO for the bottom of Teensy 3 module due to board size constraints.

Development on-going ... waiting for offshore parts. :cool:

Great work! Looking at the picture, at first I thought the board was surrounded with lego blocks. Looks like you are well-connectorized!

The key to both the T3 and T3 Mini BaseBoards PCB designs are the 4 pin, 2 mm (.079 inch pitch) solid, latching, inexpensive connectors. (10 cents from SeeedStudio):(
Also, special two layer ground and power planes were designed into the T3 mini for better noise rejection. (The first image [above] is not the same as the finished design)

Last edited:
I never intended to make a commercial product out of these boards. It was designed by my next door neighbor for my work on my Teensy 3 projects.
BTW ... What PCB board are you talking about? Mini T3 or the developmemt T3 Baseboard ?

You do have several options.

1. Get the T3 Baseboard PCB design file(s) and download expressPCB. Import the file and send it to ExpressPCB via Internet with
your Visa or Mastercard info and you will receive 3 PCB boards, in 5 days, on your doorstep. This is extremely expensive!
$84 for 3 boards for T3 Base board or $84 for 6 mini T3 Baseboards.

2. Get together with other forum members to see if they can buy in quantities of 100 which will reduce the price substantially.

3. The schematics were posted for both boards. Just replicate the PCB designs using the schematics to another cheaper "offshore" vendor.

4. If you are a somewhat skilled "C" programmer and you modifiy an Arduino library for the Teensy 3 and post it here then
I can see what I can do to provide a board for you. PM me.

OSHPark.com, they'll make you 3 boards with the design files listed here. (edit: Maybe they're not listed here? I don't see a link. anyways...) The Mini board would be like $25 or less for 3.

I sure would love to purchase this board as the prototype platform for my new project. Or - if it was available in a common format that I could import into a layout that would also work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back