Eagle library with Teensy 3.0 footprint

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnaClocker

I'm working on a board that will have a DIP socket that the Teensy 3.0 can simply plug into. I've found the Teensy 2.0 and Teensy++ footprints, but haven't found a 3.0 one yet. I'm using Eagle for this project. Has anyone got one already made?

Ok, I just whipped up a Teensy 3.0 part. I've never tried creating a part in Eagle (or any other program) before, but I followed a nice guide (which was semi irrelevant for this particular part). I'd appreciate a peer review of this, especially if it saves me from making a bad board based on it. ;)
I assumed the pins were .1" spaced, 14 down each side, 5 between the rows. Not sure what the one by the USB jack or the 3 below it are for, so I left them out of the schematic. I also didn't do anything with the solder pads on the bottom of the board, this is just for the pins that seemed to be most important.
I made the hole sizes good and large (just over .038") so even the large breadboard friendly pins should fit.
http://www.neonsquirt.com/una.lbr

And then I looked at the other side of the card.. I see what those pins are for now.. It'd be worth adding them. I'll do that in the morning. :)

yes, I would suggest breaking out all of the pins on the Teensy. You may not need them now, but that could change later.

yes, I would suggest breaking out all of the pins on the Teensy. You may not need them now, but that could change later.

I have taken UNAs library and modified it to include all easily-accessible pin holes. I did not include the pads on the underside of the board because I consider them very hard to interface with (other than a bed of nails rig like Paul built). I did take some liberties in re-arranging pins on the symbols part, appended the GND1 and 3.3V1 pins, and changed the pin/pad symbols to only show the pin symbol.

I have yet to try this out in a development environment, please let me know what you think.

Possible improvements: stagger the pins like sparkfun does to make PCB header retention (prior to soldering) much easier. I didn't know how much you all would like such an arrangement, I happen to find it useful.

I uploaded a version earlier tonight that had digital pins 24 and A10 as well as digital pin 25 and A11 combined in the symbol. That has been fixed. Now only A10 and A11 appear in the symbol block.

EDIT: The attachment has been updated again to cover the Teensy 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.5, 3.6 and LC series of boards.

Attachments

• Teensy_3_and_LC_Series_Boards_v1.4.zip
    9.4 KB · Views: 405
  • Teensy_DIY_v1.0.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Awesome, thanks.
And yeah, the sparkfun staggered pins thing seems childish to me.. Never really cared for it. Could always put both versions in the library though. I was thinking it'd be nice to have 3 versions of the Teensy in this library anyways.. A simple DIP28 version that can use a standard DIP socket. The "plus 5" version that I had done, and now this full featured "plus 9" version with all the extra pins.

Ok, I tried out the revised library you posted, Constantin. Looks good except that you had two pins on top of each other in the symbol, made it difficult to wire up in the shematic edittor, so I fixed that.
teensy_problem.png

Latest revision posted on my server.

Good catch! Also, since this was intended for non-breadboard applications, I made the holes 38 mils wide and with rounded edges. An updated library is attached.

Attachments

9.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Teensy_DIY_v1.0.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Updated Eagle Library

EDIT: New eagle board library was releases, so updating the below. The library now includes the boards for the 3.x series and the LC. Outline options include:

1. All Pins includes all pins (i.e. including AREF, A11, A10, VUSB).
  2. All Pins and Pads (Teensy 3.x only - includes all pins and pads. My presumption here was that you'd use a SMD pin header on the Teensy and a standard through-hole pin header on the mating PCB.
  3. DILJust the DIL-equivalent outer row of pins (i.e. breadboard style)
  4. DIL+4Just the DIL-equivalent outer row of pins plus AREF, A11, A10, VUSB.
  5. Outer Row just includes the outer pins.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

9.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Teensy_DIY_v1.0.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Hey Doug, I liked the one you published earlier but I feel it is a bit incomplete since it doesn't seem allow for the possibility of a SMD pin header on the underside of the unit, for example. Am I missing something?

The current library includes 7 versions of the Teensy 3.0 footprint, allowing for different combinations of footprints that people might be interested in using. I did omit all the pin numbering as some people might need that space for other things and the Teensy can only really be inserted one way correctly. But I can also see the argument in including said port numbers, all depends on the end-user.

I am currently using the "All-Analog" version, which allows me to also access the two Analog Pads on the underside. This in turn opens up the use of DAD3, the other differential analog input (pairing A12 and A13) for this unit. I plan on using both and I'm quite excited about the possibility of 200kSPS+ 16 bit sampling, even if the ENOB is only 13.

Last edited:
Constantin.. What on earth were you thinking with the pin size? I just had a batch of boards made using this library. When I made this library, I made the holes big enough to fit standard pins. When you revised it, you made them microscopic. What pins were you thinking people would be using to connect the Teensy with this footprint? As it sits, I think I'd have to use snipped leads from resistors, I can barely even fit an LED leg through these holes.
I'll be updating the library on my server, for now, everyone be warned. :)

Last edited:
According to my screen, they're 23mil diameter holes.

That is bizarre! I updated those files months ago, uploaded them here, and even I had boards made in the meantime that fit standard pin headers just fine. I will re-check tomorrow and I apologize for the issue.

Brian, could you be so kind and download the new file and see if that works better (i.e. the pin diameters are right!)

I have gone through the preceding posts and removed the 'bad' versions of this library and replaced them with the current one.

Attachments

9.4 KB · Views: 3,312
  • Teensy_DIY_v1.0.zip
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,241
Last edited:
Is there a confirmed good Eagle file for Teensy 3.0 ? Maybe this page should link to it?

I don't use Eagle, so I can't help with this.... so please do let me know?

Hi Paul, I have successfully used this library with two pcbs so far. The original file had smaller holes due to an oversight on my part. I thought I had it fixed but I got confused by the uploading system here. Hence my appending the version number to the file name and replacing all versions here with that one.

FWIW, you can download eagle for free and add this library to see if its good. I have ten different sets in there, depending on whether the user wants the basic set (exterior pins) the all through-hole pin set (+4), the all analog set (ie +4 version and 4 SMD pins from the pads on the underside) or the all pin set which also needs to have a bigger SMD header soldered onto the underside.

I use the all-analog version with the power meter I'm working on and a full version for the DAQ module. Both fit, work great.

I find the learning curve for Eagle to be too steep and I intend to use Fritzing to create my first PCB (home etched!). If you would be so kind as to convert it to a Fritzing part (I actually don't really care so much for the breadboard, I only need the schematic and PCB view), that would be perfect!

I find the learning curve for Eagle to be too steep and I intend to use Fritzing to create my first PCB (home etched!). If you would be so kind as to convert it to a Fritzing part (I actually don't really care so much for the breadboard, I only need the schematic and PCB view), that would be perfect!

Not easy to do, as best as I can tell since fritzing seems to expect a DIP form factor that fits into a breadboard. The teensy 3.0 has pins and pads for pins all over...

Not easy to do, as best as I can tell since fritzing seems to expect a DIP form factor that fits into a breadboard. The teensy 3.0 has pins and pads for pins all over...

Fritzing does not require parts to be breadboard compatible (but does expect the pins to be on a 2.54mm (0.1 inch) grid). So it is more veroboard/stripboard compatible than solderless breadboard compatible.

Fritzing does not require parts to be breadboard compatible (but does expect the pins to be on a 2.54mm (0.1 inch) grid). So it is more veroboard/stripboard compatible than solderless breadboard compatible.

So, in other words, you need to define all the pins on a 0.1" grid even if they are not physically arranged that way? Seems odd and potentially confusing but ok.

So, in other words, you need to define all the pins on a 0.1" grid even if they are not physically arranged that way? Seems odd and potentially confusing but ok.

Not sure. Things which are exactly on a 0.1" grid will autoconect in the 'breadboard' view and things which are slightly off won't. Need to look at the documentation for details. I would assume that things on finer pitches will still work in the schema and pcb views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back