PaulStoffregen

Latest activity Postings About

• PaulStoffregen
      Some of the strangeness you're seeing might also be from Linux. Unlike Windows and MacOS which strictly enforce only 1 program being allowed to open the same serial port, Linux allows multiple programs to open the same port. But Linux doesn't...
    • PaulStoffregen
      In the early days of Teensy 3.0 and 3.1, we regularly heard people say Teensy had lost their program after power cycling. Of course that makes no sense, as the program gets stored in non-volatile flash memory. After many mysterious reports, we...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Every Teensy 4.0 also gets a unique mac address, same as with Teensy 4.1. Teensy 4.0 does not have the pins available to connect a PHY chip. I don't know whether QNEthernet supports Teensy 4.0 at all. From these messages, sure looks like it...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Every Teensy 4.1 comes with a unique mac address. It's stored in the non-volatile fuse memory of the IMXRT1062 processor, not the PHY chip. The mac address is written into fuse memory by PJRC during product testing. The upper 24 bits are an...
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread tone() question...
      Something else you might consider when writing code using tone() is almost every Arduino compatible board has a slightly different implementation. Behavior of tone() differs when you suddenly stop the output with noTone() rather than letting it...
    • PaulStoffregen
      You can also of course use the audio library. Teensy 3.2 can synthesize and mix dozens of waveforms and Teensy 4.0 can handle hundreds of voices. You can output the final mixed result using the DAC pin on Teensy 3.2 or MSQ on Teensy 4.0. Or...
    • PaulStoffregen
      I'd recommend using analogWriteFrequency() and analogWrite(). On Teensy 3.2 you have 3 PWM timers, so you can have 3 independent frequencies this way if you choose the correct pins. Details with which timers control which pins can be found...
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread weird weird weird.
      Packed struct gives dependable binary structure, but it (usually) cause the compiler to generate slow code. Whether that speed difference really matters is a good question.
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Audio Shield.
      Maybe a bit optimistic to fit any part between the SD socket and header/socket pins?
      • 1718387552157.png
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen reacted to h4yn0nnym0u5e's post in the thread Audio Shield with Like Like.
      Sure. Give more detail about what you want when posting. That’s good advice :)
    • PaulStoffregen
      Here is a Teensy specific tutorial for connecting a pushbutton. The info is same as all other Arduino compatible boards. However, you might consider using the Bounce library instead of digitalRead(). The Bounce library gives you automatically...
    • PaulStoffregen
      On MacOS with Arduino IDE 2.0.0 or later, the default location is /Users/{username}/Library/Arduino15/packages/teensy/hardware/avr/{version}/libraries/Audio
    • PaulStoffregen
      Click File > Preferences (or perhaps Arduino > Settings if using MacOS) and turn on verbose output during compile. Once this is enabled, Arduino IDE will print much more info. Near the end (you may need to scroll up slightly) will be the list...
    • PaulStoffregen
      R1 at 470K will not work. The ideal resistor depends on the type of wire you use, but normally you would want 50 to 200 ohms. Placing the resistor physically close to U1 is better than placing it close to the LEDs. You might also want to add...
    • PaulStoffregen
      You must use at least 1 rev D board (for channels 3-4). The other can be rev D or rev D2 (for channels 1-2). Instructions for Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 are virtually identical. The rev D audio shield which becomes channels 3-4 needs to be...
      • 1718189525952.png
      • 1718189533770.png
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread AUDIO BOARD.
      Teensy 4.0 and Teensy 4.1 work with audio shield rev D. https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html
    • PaulStoffregen
      Yes, simply buy a Teensy board.
    • PaulStoffregen
      No, it will not work. That library is for Teensy.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Normally the audio library is used with the audio board. The best way to get started and learn the audio library is with this 31 page tutorial. https://www.pjrc.com/store/audio_tutorial_kit.html If you scroll down on that page, you can also...
    • PaulStoffregen
      I've only built the toolchain a few times over Teensy's entire 16 year history. Every time the process has been different. I've tried to use the scripts ARM publishes. On the most recent version, I didn't built it at all for Windows, MacOS and...
    • PaulStoffregen
      I'm keen to hear how it goes. Been considering making newlib-nano the default, but losing float printing and other things could be too painful.
    • PaulStoffregen
      MQS only supports stereo. It can't be used for 4 channels. Maybe consider PT8211 for the other channels?
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4.0 DOA - No 3.3 v.
      Glad you got those boards running. As for the cause of problems, difficult to say. This looks very old, probably the very first batch of Teensy 4.0 from September 2019. I don't have great info that far back. It was a crazy time where we had...
    • PaulStoffregen
      This hub info is good. But I also need you to tell me clearly which of these 3 hubs had the problem and which were trouble free? Can you also give me photos or specific model number info for the keyboard you used? Please understand I'm asking...
    • PaulStoffregen
      The sgtl5000 lineOutLevel() functions are meant to adjust the overall signal level. They're not meant to be a volume control which goes down to zero.
    • PaulStoffregen
      I've ordered the Sabrent HB-UMP3 hub. The hub I used for testing (see photo in msg #9) was Sabrent HB-UMLS. From the top side it looks very similar to HB-UMP3. The part number is printed on the bottom side. @Paolo157 - Could you please...
      • sabrent.jpg
    • PaulStoffregen
      0.1uF capacitor. Not essential, especially if you haven't added the optional memory chip.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Order direct from PJRC. I can confirm we have only rev D here. To get 4 channel audio, you can use those rev D2 (for channel 1-2) together with rev D (for channel 3-4).
    • PaulStoffregen
      If some way could be found to suppress the printf format warnings for same size integers, I would love to enable this in Print class. That's why we tried in the 1.54 betas. It really would be useful to have, if it didn't produce an obnoxious...
    • PaulStoffregen
      For commercially available ground clips, search for CT3668 Cal Test. I use them for several years now and are still "springy". The pin also fits nicely in a breadboard. Paul
    • PaulStoffregen
      Did you actually run teensy_reboot.exe? Simply having the file in the same folder does nothing. You have to run it to cause Teensy to go into bootloader mode. Then run the CLI loader and if your Teensy did successfully reboot, it should find...
    • PaulStoffregen
      For measuring 150 MHz with a higher bandwidth scope, short ground wire is essential. Here is the wire I used for the measurement. If you use the ordinary ground wire clip, the measurement will be highly distorted and may not show the high...
      • gndwire.jpg
    • PaulStoffregen
      For Teensy 4.x, use "CORE_PIN20_PADCONFIG |= 0xF9;" to configure pin 20 for the fastest possible mode. Here is the complete code: const int my_pulse_pin = 20; void setup() { pinMode(my_pulse_pin, OUTPUT); CORE_PIN20_PADCONFIG |= 0xF9; }...
      • file.png
    • PaulStoffregen
      Here's the prior conversation. https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/adding-print-class-printf-format-string-vs-arguments-checking.62473/
    • PaulStoffregen
      I'm still struggling to understand. Are you suggesting we should turn on this overly pedantic warning for everything inheriting from Print class, and then turn it off only for Serial?
    • PaulStoffregen
      Grab the teensy_reboot.exe program from an Arduino IDE install.
    • PaulStoffregen
      We tried __attribute__ format printf years ago in beta versions. It was pulled before a release because it's far too pedantic about 32 bit integers. The main problem is both int and long are both 32 bits. To use this on Teensy 4.x, we need a...
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread 64 bit Flotingpoint.
      We don't really have examples programs because using 64 bit double precision floating point is so simple. On Teensy 4.x, just create and use variables with type "double". Float constants will automatically be double. So very easy! Nothing...
    • PaulStoffregen
      You might use the other analog inputs before A8, because it is physically between the two I2S clock signals. Or only use A8 for something not needing high quality. Unless your analog signal has very low impedance, it's easy to get noise coupled...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Even if you could read the old firmware, Teensy 3.2 is discontinued.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Maybe some parts of these projects might help or at least inspire ideas? https://www.pjrc.com/morse-code-keyer/ https://www.pjrc.com/morse-key-turned-into-a-usb-keyboard/ https://www.pjrc.com/jackal-%C2%B5bitx-add-on-board/
    • PaulStoffregen
      No, this part (the switching one... that 3+1 pin part is clearly a linear regulator, not switching)
      • 1717333393161.png
    • PaulStoffregen
      On the switching power supply chip, is its only connection to GND though the bottom side pad? (don't have the part number or schematic...)
    • PaulStoffregen
      Is the display powered by 3.3V but being driven with 5V signals? Not sure how this Nokia display handles that situation, but I know some others do not work if any pin is driven with 5V.
    • PaulStoffregen
      3 blinks means a problem with the flash memory. I spent a few minute tracing out the wires of your PCB layout. It looks correct. If the chip really is Winbond W25Q16JVUXIM (PCBA vendors actually using W25Q16JVUXIQ is a common problem), the...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Any change the Flat Flex Cable is not fully inserted into the connector? Here is a quick comparison of your image with the breakout board photo. Notice less of the blue part is visible. Looks like your cable may not be fully plugged into the...
      • sc.jpg
    • PaulStoffregen
      If I use just "printf" rather than "Serial.printf", I get nothing printed. Maybe that's somehow a clue?
    • PaulStoffregen
      Tried it here on Teensy 4.1. void setup() { while (!Serial) ; uint16_t u = 16; Serial.printf("%" PRIu16 " (%04" PRIx16 "h)", u, u); } void loop() { } I get "16 (0010h)" in the Arduino Serial Monitor.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Maybe a wire is connected wrong? Showing photos of your wiring might help...
    • PaulStoffregen
      I've added an update on the Teensy 3.2 page which links to this thread. Hopefully it will help anyone still needing Teensy 3.2 to find and contact you. I can confirm bboyes did indeed previously purchase large quantities of Teensy 3.2 directly...
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back