PaulStoffregen

Latest activity Postings About

• PaulStoffregen
      Each author may have specific reasons, but often #ifdef in Arduino libraries is used for code that is specific to certain hardware. Where the library is meant to work on more than 1 board will often have small piece of code which differ...
    • PaulStoffregen
      This code uses SdFat. It is complicated. I recommend using the simpler SD library. It is much easier to use and understand. Since Teensyduino 1.54, SD.h is merely a thin wrapper which really uses SdFat internally. So if you use the simpler...
    • PaulStoffregen
      For the Teensy 4.1 built in SD card, you need the examples from File > Examples > SD. Those examples default to the regular SPI port, which would be used with the audio shield or other hardware you'd connect to the SPI pins. To use the built in...
    • PaulStoffregen
      When I have code that gets too large, usually I look for the most mature and unlikely to change portions. That's the stuff I tend to put into another file or create a library if I'm sure it'll get reused between programs.
    • PaulStoffregen
      In Arduino IDE, first make sure Teensy is selected in Tools > Board. The menus update based on which board you're using. Then click File > Examples > USBHost_t36 > Storage to find those examples. Hopefully those can help get you to a good start.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Did you install the Teensy udev rules? On Linux, the most common problem is lack of the udev rules, so please check that first before we try to dive into technical details on this problem.
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen reacted to ETMoody3's post in the thread ornament & crime beta testing with Like Like.
      Having just fallen down the Eurorack rabbit hole ( acquiring parts, building related stuff ) I am waiting to pounce when it is ready to be pounced upon.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Looks like you're off to a pretty good start. :)
    • PaulStoffregen
      That looks like one of the problematic SD card adapters. Many people have experienced problems with those. Power is the first issue. Hopefully you can find good documentation about the its power requirements. But often these are made by Asian...
    • PaulStoffregen
      For anyone following this old thread, here's an update about Ornament and Crime development on Teensy 4.1. https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/ornament-crime-beta-testing.73961/#post-346256
    • PaulStoffregen
      Quick followup, O_C T4.1 is now in beta testing. Here's a photo of one of the beta test units being calibrated. Full open source release is likely soon, of course depending on feedback from beta testers in the coming days. But so far...
      • oc_beta_calibration.jpg
    • PaulStoffregen
      Pin 46 is DAT3. It is not CS. All SD cards have 2 protocols, either a higher performance native mode where 5 pins are used for data (CMD, DAT0, DAT1, DAT2, DAT3), or a lower performance SPI mode where 2 pins are used for data (MOSI, MISO)...
    • PaulStoffregen
      TPS757 is meant for power supply, not digital signals. Generally speaking, through hole and high speed don't go together. You'll end up limiting yourself to a dwindling supply of older tech and obsolete parts. But if you had to go that...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Difficult to answer without a bit more context. Is this power, or digital signal, or analog signal? For a digital signal, usually my favorite is 74LV1T125, made by both TI and Nexperia. 74LCX125 is also pretty nice. I usually reach for that...
    • PaulStoffregen
      You could place them similarly to how they're placed on Teensy. Especially important to place the DCDC decoupling capacitors (both input and output) directly underneath the BGA chip with traces as short as possible to the vias, and those vias as...
    • PaulStoffregen
      That's Arduino IDE 1.8.19 + Teensyduino on MacOS. People who use Windows and Linux haven't seen it that way, because they install Arduino IDE 1.8.19 and then run the Teensyduino installer which adds all the Teensy specific stuff. On Windows and...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Try turning on verbose output during compile in File > Preferences. Does Arduino IDE give more info about the error with this turned on?
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread miniBCS4.
      Amy chance for photos showing it connected to the various peripherals and controlling experiments?
    • PaulStoffregen
      No. Use of FLASHMEM only affects which type of memory is used. It doesn't alter how many times a function runs. The only effect is how much memory is used, and a (usually minor) change in the speed your program runs. Normally you would choose...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Sounds like something isn't quite right on your PC. Impossible to guess with so little info. Can't even tell if you have MacOS, Linux or Windows. Hopefully you'll be able to use the serial monitor, which is covered in the 3rd tutorial...
    • PaulStoffregen
      The 30 MHz maximum spec assumes nearly ideal wiring.
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Using of SdFat.
      Looks like it ought to work if you delete the unnecessary SPI.begin() and Wire.begin(), and if your SD_CONFIG is defined properly (not shown in the code fragment).
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Please stop this spammer.
      Looks like our relentless spammer from India returned last night. Thanks to everyone who reported so many messages. This time the spam originated from internet provider Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited, ASN 55836. I've added 5 more large...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Sorry, it's old info. Very early versions of OctoWS2811 needed those 2 pins shorted together. That requirement was removed long ago. Also long ago, the PCB was updated to not short those pins. But it seems the web page still has the oldest...
    • PaulStoffregen
      If using the SPI library, you configure the clock speed with SPI.beginTransaction() and SPISettings. This is will documented. https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_SPI.html...
    • PaulStoffregen
      In Arduino IDE, click File > Preferences and turn on verbose output during compile. When you compile, Arduino IDE will print the full compiler commands which have full pathnames. You can use this info to find the installed toolchain. You can...
    • PaulStoffregen
      PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Hi,.
      What is "customized phyboard"? If this is in any way related to Teensy, please give details.
    • PaulStoffregen
      According to the NXP datasheet, 30 MHz is the max for SPI (the LPSPI peripherals, not the FlexSPI). Many people have reported success at higher speeds, but anything over 30 MHz should be considered overclocking.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Starting with version 1.58 we updated the gcc toolchain to 11.3. Previously version gcc 5.4 was used.
    • PaulStoffregen
      I have no idea what software you're using. It doesn't look like anything for Teensy. Normally on Teensy a library like ILI9341_t3 is used. This forum is about Teensy. If you're using some other board, and especially if also using completely...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Maybe 1 or more wires are not connected properly? If you show us photos of your wiring, perhaps we'll be able to see the problem?
    • PaulStoffregen
      I can't answer your question because I do not have a clear picture of "On/Off reset to kick Serial off again". I can't see your computer screen or what action you are actually performing. I know know are those words which don't paint a clear...
    • PaulStoffregen
      The speed is either 12 or 480 Mbit/sec, minus USB protocol overhead and USB bandwidth used by other USB devices. Flow control also really matters. Conceptually it is similar to traditional serial RTS/CTS flow control but built into the USB...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Native USB serial doesn't use the baud rate. Documentation here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_serial.html It's always been this way (for Teensy and Arduino's native USB boards like Leonardo and MKR1000). In the new IDE, at some point...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Wow, that's an impressive packing of everything into such a small case! On the MAX4466 module, I found this photo on Amazon. Does this look like the one you have? The very first thing to check is the gain knob setting. You probably want to...
      • 1719721676527.png
    • PaulStoffregen
      Maybe we can help you clean up those preamps? But we'll need to be able to see them, like photos and a schematic. The mic datasheet or tech info could also help. But for a first completely blind guess, maybe you're using condenser mics that...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Teensy 3.1 and 3.2 were 5V tolerant. But Teensy 3.0 was not. Do not apply more than 3.3V, as doing so would risk hardware damage.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Either should work fine. If you connect SDA and SCL to main I2C pins (18 and 19) and use 14x1 sockets, you can plug either Teensy 3.0 or Teensy 4.0 into the socket.
    • PaulStoffregen
      The forum's logging shows the new rules that block new user registrations from ASN 45609 are being triggered, one of them only 12 minutes ago and the other a few hours ago. Impossible to know if it's blocking legitimate new users or the same...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Sorry for the delay. I was at the Teardown conference all day. Looking at this just now... Sadly, it seems the spammers from India that plagued the old vbulletin server have returned. I had really hoped we would not need to block huge...
    • PaulStoffregen
      For those 2 broken off parts, you can identify which is L3 and which is C29 using a multimeter in ohms mode. L3 will measure close to zero ohms. C29 will initially measure some random amount and will gradually increase as you continue holding...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Yes, just solder a wire where L3 was located. The side effect could be additional noise coupled to the 3.3V power line. L3 serves to isolate noise from the high frequency switching of the step-down converter from 3.3V to 1.2V (CPU core...
    • PaulStoffregen
      User banned, all posts reported to block-lists (via spam-o-matic), and I added a permanent ban to netblock of 4096 IP numbers where their posts were originating.
    • PaulStoffregen
      Hardware-wise, using the MKL02 chip from PJRC means you're good to go. Software-wise, most libraries are MIT license which is meant to allow usage in commercial proprietary products. But a few are GPL, like Entropy, so check the license on all...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Another thing to check, probably a long-shot, is whether you have anything driving the IMXRT1062 pins before it starts the power up sequence. Perhaps other devices that power up separately?
    • PaulStoffregen
      Can you measure the VDD_SOC_IN voltage? If the last stage of the power up sequence is working, it should be 1.15V or 1.25V. Maybe also check the voltages on VDD_HIGH_CAP, NVCC_PLL, and VDD_SNVS_CAP. If the board truly has completed all stages...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Use FASTRUN on your erase function, so it's allocated in RAM. Hopefully that can prevent the inevitable crash long enough to allow accomplishing all the memory erase you want. After erasing, remember the CPU caches will still hold some info...
    • PaulStoffregen
      I've written a new USB Host support library for Teensy 4.x boards: https://github.com/A-Dunstan/teensy4_usbhost Key features: - dynamic driver instantiation, e.g. can support any number of hubs or other devices since driver objects can be...
    • PaulStoffregen
      Some of the strangeness you're seeing might also be from Linux. Unlike Windows and MacOS which strictly enforce only 1 program being allowed to open the same serial port, Linux allows multiple programs to open the same port. But Linux doesn't...
    • PaulStoffregen
      In the early days of Teensy 3.0 and 3.1, we regularly heard people say Teensy had lost their program after power cycling. Of course that makes no sense, as the program gets stored in non-volatile flash memory. After many mysterious reports, we...
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back