PaulStoffregen's latest activity

• PaulStoffregen
    Look for physical damage on the bottom side. L3 would be the likely part.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I just re-read all 17 messages, and I can't figure out what you really wanted. Maybe I missed something? I see a lot of specific technical questions, but not really any context to understand why you're asking and what you are really trying to...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I answered about MAX98357 because you wrote "I am having the same problem", and so far this thread was only about MAX98357. Maybe I missed a previous message where you said which hardware you were using? Looking at your code again, I see you...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Website will be down for some portion of this 6 hour window. Server hosting company is installing new racks and physically moving servers.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Your program has AudioOutputAnalog. That can't possibly work with MAX98357 which needs I2S digital data. You need to use AudioOutputI2S (docs on the right side, scroll down to "Hardware"). Notice the pins needed for connection are different...
  • PaulStoffregen
    4 chips might be possible, but you would need to access 4 additional data pins that aren't available.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Probably best to keep it simple and use just 1 power bank having ordinary 5V USB power output with 1 USB cable. Every power bank is different. None come with reliable tech specs. Even the claimed battery capacity is usually just a made up...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Ah, now I can see you're trying to connect a plain SD socket to all 8 SD pins. That definitely does work on the Teensy 4.0 breakout board. It even uses the same socket. Maybe that board's info can help? On the software side, any of the SD...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Arduino IDE 2.3.2?.
    I've updated the web page with words "All versions 2.0.4 and later are supported. Versions 2.3.0 or later are recommended, due to improvements in Boards Manager." I also changed "2.0.x" to "2.x.x". Arduino added the ability for a...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Can you show us photos this hardware and how you've connected it? Or at least give a link to the hardware? You know what it is, but please try to imagine how anyone reading this is supposed to answer. We can't even know if this is a USB device...
  • PaulStoffregen
    This conversation would be much easier if you gave a specific voltage regulator part number and pointed to the specific words in its datasheet. Details matter. So does context. But generally speaking, that sort of language usually means the...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4.1.
    Mark's answer is indeed the library you want. In Arduino IDE, first select Teensy in Tools > Boards. Other menus update depending on the selected board. Then click File > Examples > SPIFlash > SPIFlash_ReadWrite. Libraries LittleFS and...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4.1 Serial8.
    First to answer your specific question, there is nothing special about Serial8 on Teensy 4.1. It works the same way as Serial1 to Serial7. With any of the serial ports, you have a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong. It's also a lot of...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Also be aware analogWriteFrequency() can accept a floating point number for the frequency, so you're not limited to integer precision. It will automatically make the closest frequency the hardware can create. All the timers have 16 bit...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Sounds like analogWriteFrequency(pin, freq) and analogWrite(pin, duty) is enough. This will allow you to create (almost) any frequency. The PWM hardware does all the work, so the waveform doesn't depend on software interrupts. Details here...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Try just soldering a wire in place of L2. It's purpose is to prevent high frequency noise just possibly escaping up the USB cable or out the VIN pin. Not really essential for the board to just work. Ideally you should solder a capacitor at...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Don't worry too much on the solder. Just avoid these 3 most common soldering problems 1: Cold solder - not applying heat long enough 2: Board mounted backwards - check the pin numbers match up! 3: Boards too close with parts on bottom of...
  • PaulStoffregen
    If you're able to water wash and bake dry your circuit board, using Kester 331 solder and Kester 2331-ZX liquid flux gives amazing results. I personally use that combo for PCB prototypes. Organic acid flux like Kester 2331-ZX is amazing stuff...
  • PaulStoffregen
    For these latest tests, did you monitor the 3.3V power with your multimeter? Do you have any way to monitor the USB current? If not, please buy (and use) one of these inexpensive USB power monitoring products.
    • usbtester.jpg
  • PaulStoffregen
    Try change this sprintf(FileName, "%04d_%02d_%02d.csv", (RTC.getYear(), (RTC.getMonth(), (RTC.getDay()); to this sprintf(FileName, "%04d_%02d_%02d.csv", (RTC.getYear())...
  • PaulStoffregen
    First read the "Power Up Sequence" info on this page: https://www.pjrc.com/store/ic_mkl02_t4.html Hopefully the little javascript buttons can help by visualizing the power up steps for you on the schematic. If the sequence is getting to step...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, custom USB interface combinations can be created by editing usb_desc.h. See the comments in that file for details. When editing any core library file, first confirm you have the right file by adding a simple syntax error. If clicking...
  • PaulStoffregen
    The newer SD socket (with 8 tiny holes where you can see the metal contacts) is the same push-pull type as the older SD socket (without tiny holes). SD sockets with push-push action have a spring inside. Usually they are at least 2mm wider to...
  • PaulStoffregen
    If using Arduino IDE 2.x.x, use Boards Manager and click the drop-down list to switch between any of the versions which support the newer IDE. If using old Arduino IDE 1.8.x, go to the download page, scroll down to the section for Arduino 1.8...
  • PaulStoffregen
    No, sadly GD32 and MKL02 have different pinout. You could restore your Teensy 4.0 by resoldering the chips it originally had when new. Normally I wouldn't even suggest this, but from your comments you do seem to have the ability to desolder and...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Please understand this is guesswork since I can't see the files on your PC, but I'm pretty you have copies of SD and SdFat different than the ones published in Teensyduino 1.59. Even if Arduino IDE is utterly unusable for you to go real...
  • PaulStoffregen
    So I just want let you know I haven't abandoned this project it's that I found out two weeks after getting my new Teensy's that I am moving again and have all my equipment in storage now. I hope this is the last time I have to move but I just...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Ok, I thought you were asking about the U2 chip because of "decipher the manufacture date of the bootloader". U2 is the bootloader chip. U1 is the main processor, MIMXRT1062DVJ6B. About the first 4 letters, "CTDA" in your photo, also a good...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I can add just a bit more info. That chip with code "AVNH" is probably 2019 to 2021 vintage. Here is a photo of a newer chip with "AAUY" sitting on the NXP packaging label with date code 2325 and lot code info. At the very least, hopefully...
    • 1715378945492.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    I only know how to read the first line, where M2T5 identifies the part number as MKL02Z32 (the last character is number '5' not letter 'S'). On this chip, I have no idea how to interpret "AVNH". I suspect it is the date code and maybe more...
    • 1715377257324.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    As requested, I've deleted the schematic and photos. Did you watch the voltage and current while working with the unresponsive hardware? Make any progress?
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Serial2 not printing.
    Try making a copy of your main project and delete portions until Serial2 starts working. Or if you don't find the problem, delete as much of your main project so you can show us a complete non-working code. If anyone can copy it into Arduino...
  • PaulStoffregen
    As explained earlier, simply delete the installed copy of PulsePosition which is overriding the known-good copy. This is the most important info: Multiple libraries were found for "PulsePosition.h" Used...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Did you monitor the voltages and USB current while working with those dead boards? If you don't have a voltmeter and you're not looking to spend a lot of money for a top-tier model, this pretty cheap one works quite well.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Just to repeat once more, while trying the 15 sec restore or anything else, please get into a practice of continuously monitoring the 3.3V voltage, VUSB voltage, and USB current. Also remember this restore process only works on not-yet-locked...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Probably not, but maybe... The bootloader chip is not involved in the software startup process. It does not function the same way as a traditional software-only bootloader, which runs first and then jumps to your program. When Teensy starts...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I'm just re-read this entire thread, looking for anything I missed and just generally trying to get a clear picture of this difficult situation. I still don't have a clear picture, so I'm hoping you might compose 1 good message to summarize all...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Maybe this is stating the overly obvious, but until this problem is fully resolved, please put sockets on any more PCBs you build so you can easily remove the Teensy.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Could you explain how the power supply works? Is all the board's power coming from the USB cable connected to Teensy? Or is external power connected (maybe not shown on this schematic)?
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN.
    I don't know why that error is appearing. More info is needed to even begin to diagnose the issue. Before you go to the effort of collecting more info, please do the easiest thing first. Download and use a fresh copy of the 1.59 installer...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Which USB hub should I use when I try again?
  • PaulStoffregen
    Article posted on the website today https://www.pjrc.com/jawsfx-guitar-pedal-with-shark-proximity-looping/
  • PaulStoffregen
    SD card corruption is really unfortunate. Wish I had a better answer, but can't know why this happened. The only known issue (known to me... on my list of issues to fix) that seems close would be incompatibility with buffers in cached memory...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Your program configured pin 36 as INPUT. With nothing connected, the pin can randomly pick up all sorts of noise. Use INPUT_PULLUP. Or connect a real resistor to the pin. Do not leave high impedance input pins floating.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Please shot a screenshot or photo of the screen.
  • PaulStoffregen
    On 2nd though, perhaps my bandwidth estimation is off by a factor of 2. The narrow pulse would be half of a cycle of a square wave. Maybe. When you use only 8 bit PWM, the 255 / 256 = 99.6% duty cycle, which is a pulse 16X wider. So it needs...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I ran your program (the first on msg #11) on a Teensy 4.1. This is the waveform my scope sees on pin 29. Looks like a very stable 25 kHz waveform. My scope says the duty cycle is 99.97%. That's very close to 4095 / 4096 = 0.999756. I...
    • file.png
    • file2.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    Please write more specific instructions to reproduce the problem. Which items are plugged at what time after upload? Or even better, give photos or short video with serial monitor visible.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I ran your program from msg #1. I made only 1 small modification to print "loop <number>" slowly because the note on/off messages scroll off screen too quickly (full code below). static elapsedMillis msec; // print at a reasonable pace if...
    • test.jpg
    • screen.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    This is a really strange case. Normally when a board goes badly and consumes too much current for things to get really hot, either the 5V power or the 3.3V power measures low. But you said you measured 4.7V and 3.3V. Normally when a large...
Back