PaulStoffregen's latest activity

• PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread WebUSB on teensy.
    When Teensy implements RawHID, it actually has 2 HID interfaces. Usage FFAB:0200 is the RawHID interface. Usage FFC9:0004 is the serial emulation interface. This lets you still use Serial.print() to the Arduino Serial Monitor, even though...
  • PaulStoffregen
    If you do look at this again, please turn on verbose output during compile in File > Preferences. Arduino IDE will print a lot of info. Near the end should be the list of libraries it used and any duplicates it found by ignored. Many that info...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, agreed, let's call this capacitor testing completed.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Here's a few blind guesses... Any chance one of those Serial.print lines you commented was calling a function to get whatever it prints, and that function had some necessary side effect? If you previously had Serial.begin() near the start of...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread I2C startup issue.
    Any chance a GND connection is missing or flaky?
  • PaulStoffregen
    I believe you've misunderstood what I wanted. I have wanted and still wish to see a variety / range of capacitors tested in a highly consistent way. I wanted to keep the results to a simple summary for easy comparison of many capacitors. An...
  • PaulStoffregen
    The real question is whether any of this extra detail is actually meaningful?
  • PaulStoffregen
    For anyone else using Sloeber, this is the issue on Github. https://github.com/Sloeber/arduino-eclipse-plugin/issues/1611#issuecomment-1925850605
  • PaulStoffregen
    I believe he added zstd support on github just a week or two ago. There was a github issue about this, recently closed as being resolved.
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread WebUSB on teensy.
    WebHID is (probably) your path of least resistance. Yeah, it means changing some of your existing code. I can't see how difficult your code is, but I really doubt it could be worse than dealing with the Windows issues. WebHID really should be...
  • PaulStoffregen
    The capacitor part numbers I gave were all 1% or 2% tolerance capacitors. The PCBs are also probably pretty similar if made by the same vendor. With JLCPCB several factories are in play, but even if their different factories use different layer...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread T4.1 deep freeze.
    Please consider updating to at least Window 10. Windows 7 and 8 (and Vista, XP) have USB driver bugs which can appear as if Teensy (and other types of USB devices) aren't working, when in fact the driver got messed up because of bad leftover...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4 power supply.
    Quick Google search turned up this page. https://www.ti.com/product/PGA2310 Looks like it's meant to run with 3 power supplies: +5V, +15V, -15V. But specs say the +/-15V can be as low as +4.5V and -4.5V. Datasheet says on page 5 the digital...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Check out the PWM page. https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_pulse.html Scroll down to "PWM Frequency". You'll find a table of which timer resources correspond to which pins. Scan down the table to find the pin you're using. If any others are...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Final followup... 1: The issue reported here is fixed in 1.59-beta5. 2: An issue with usage of 2 IDE instances which manifests in the same error (but is fundamentally different) is not fixed and not expected to be fixed soon. 3: The snooze...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5.
    Confirm, for 1.59-beta5 I tried to make the size info not appear as red text. It works if you turn on verbose info during compile in File > Preferences (or might be Arduino IDE > Settings on MacOS). But making it ordinary white text in verbose...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5.
    Indeed different than the recently fixed issue which Defragster reported. Sadly, support for this usage scenario is not coming in 1.59. Teensy Loader simply is not designed to be used with 2 Arduino IDE instances. :( It only remembers the...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Tools > Optimize..
    Probably not dead. Just load a known-good program like File > Examples > 01.Basic > LED blink and set optimize back to Faster. Click Verify (not Upload) and then press the button on your Teensy. If you're really stuck, hold the button for 15...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensyduino 1.57 Released.
    Thanks for confirming. :)
  • PaulStoffregen
    Looking at this again. Pretty clear the COM9 problem was use of Serial1 rather than SerialUSB1. That leaves the COM8 matter. Unclear to me if "Cannot connect to serial port "COM8" because of teensy port I guess" means Arduino IDE Serial...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Glad the project worked out well. :)
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Tools > Optimize..
    Faster Recommend you run a CPU speed benchmark to see the difference. CoreMark is the most commonly used.
  • PaulStoffregen
    From msg #746: "concluding any capacitor is better than another is quite dicey if the error rate is very low" I see you're showing results from 10 different frequencies, but the one you choose to show in detail is (rounded off) 0.0000% error rate.
  • PaulStoffregen
    @hlide - Did using SerialUSB1 resolve all the problems? Or is there still an issue here which I should investigate?
  • PaulStoffregen
    Teensy's USB stack doesn't really support fully reinitializing all its internal variables. With that in mind, here's an imperfect way. extern "C" void usb_init(void); void setup() { while (!Serial) ; // wait Serial.println("Hello World...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Memory Usage for T4.1.
    Smallest code compiles with "-Os", so your program might run slower. Best to try benchmarks like CoreMark to see the effect. Or build timing tests into your own code if you're really concerned about performance in particular way. It also uses...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread C++ code inside ISR.
    Is this inside your interrupt? What does it actually do? serial.SendPacket(&packet); Use of the serial ports from interrupts can be risky. Usually it works if not also accessed from main program or any other interrupts running at different...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Maybe MIDIx4 can help? You can select it in the Tools > USB Type menu. When Teensy runs your program built with this option, your PC believes Teensy is this sort of "MIDI 4x4" product. Windows, Linux and MacOS will create 4 MIDI ports. You...
    • 1706870565294.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Memory Usage for T4.1.
    Yes. In fact, as written your code will mostly use RAM2. Only the table of pointers will be placed in RAM1. Use of malloc() and C++ new allocates in RAM2. So each struct TTuyaDevice instance will be in RAM2. Also consider it has 7 String...
  • PaulStoffregen
    In msg #746, I was *not* suggesting to increase the number of digits printed. Doing so seems to miss the point.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I'm seeing several results posted that have error rate so low the code prints "0.0000%". Please keep in mind concluding any capacitor is better than another is quite dicey if the error rate is very low. When the test runs for a fairly short...
  • PaulStoffregen
    All custom PCBs built with the T4 bootloader chip and a brand new NXP RT1062 chip are lockable. If you want your board to be the same as standard Teensy, do not perform any of the code security locking steps and instead run the special program...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 3.2 End Of Life.
    Follow this thread for updates. https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/ornament-crime-beta-testing.73961/#post-336857 Assuming "OC" means Ornament and Crime, which is a popular music synthesizer project built on Teensy 3.2.
  • PaulStoffregen
    In a classic example of everything takes longer than anticipated, after I got those 2 units soldered I didn't really have a plan for how I would test them. While the Phazerville firmware now has low-level drivers for the new hardware (most of it...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Definitely an issue to report to Visual Micro. Maybe they've updated only the core library but still shipping a very old version for SD?
  • PaulStoffregen
    Just to add a bit more info, the SdFat library installed by Teensyduino has additions beyond Bill's official version. The SD.h thin wrapper checks for a special define, so if you use a plain copy of SdFat without Teensy's special extensions you...
  • PaulStoffregen
    This was true for Teensyduino 1.53 and earlier. Starting with 1.54 we replaced Arduino SD library with a thin wrapper which actually uses SdFat. This definitely should work if you are using Teensyduino 1.54 or later. If you are using the new...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Thanks for running the test. At this point, I believe your best course is to wait for @defragster to finish running his tests, and also wait until the library's testing program is finalized. No point doing all the work to solder those parts and...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Seems like this chip should work for reading resistive touchscreen signals. But if you have an existing library that uses ordinary analogRead(), maybe that code is easy to modify, or maybe it's quite complicated and tough to change. How people...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I see you've made another copy of the capacitor test, with a confusingly similar name, putting back in all the code I specifically wanted removed. I wanted all that code deleted because the practical effect is people report their results without...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Layers of software and hardware exist between your code and the actual non-volatile storage inside the SD card. The answer to your question really depends on which of these layers you want to mentally consider and which you hope to keep...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Good catch. That test within begin() isn't wonderful for this overclock usage. If we don't change begin(), maybe as an alternate we could just retry calling begin() many times.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I've pushed another commit to print a special message for the zero errors case.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Quick reminder, this test is supposed to be run at an overclock speed where at least some read errors occur. CapReadSDRAM is meaningless when run at a slower speed with 0 read errors.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I see now where the 0.00 time time problem is. Committed a fix.
  • PaulStoffregen
    If anyone can run this on the real hardware, a few quick questions... 1: Result now prints total and percentage. Did I get this right? 2: At start 5 minutes is estimated. Is the actual run time really about 5 minutes? 3: Did I mess anything...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, in hindsight I should have just edited the code. I've done so now and pushed a commit to Github.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Please wait until the test code gets updated.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Ok, then let's go with 25 reads for a total test time of approx 10 minutes. Usually I'm hesitant to edit and commit untested code, but maybe in this situation that would be simpler than going back and forth like this?
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Audio shield synoptic.
    The tiny microphone analog signal goes into pin 15 of the SGTL5000 chip on the audio shield. That chip turns the analog signal into digital data. Teensy sends 3 clocks (LRCLK, BCLK, MCLK) to the SGTL5000, and the SGTL5000 transmits the digital...
Back