PaulStoffregen's latest activity

• PaulStoffregen
    Something very interesting happens. I put this constructor into clockless_arm_k20.h. ClocklessController() { Serial.printf("ClocklessController ctor, this = %08X, *this = %08X\n", (uint32_t)this...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I tried diving into the assembly listing. Here's the generated code. pLed->init(); e8e: 6823 ldr r3, [r4, #0] e90: 4620 mov r0, r4 e92: 689b ldr r3, [r3, #8]...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, the Ethernet.h library supports Wiznet W5100, W5200, W5500 chips.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Unlikely. I personally test Ethernet.h with a W5500 on every release. But you can easily check which library Ardiuno IDE is really using by turning on verbose output during compile in File > Preferences. Then compile and scroll up to read the...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I spent some time try to track this problem down. So far unsuccessful, but here's what I've learned so far. Everything seems to stop at line 39 in FastLED.cpp, specifically calling pLed->init() CLEDController &CFastLED::addLeds(CLEDController...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4.1 fuse location.
    If "no 3.3V" means zero volts on only a few mV, usually that means a metal short has happened. Often those problems are recoverable if you can find the stray metal and remove it. But if 3.3V measures some small voltage like 0.6V to 1.0V...
  • PaulStoffregen
    On MacOS, the new Arduino IDE 2.3.x stores stuff in ~/Library/Arduino15. From Finder, "Library" is usually a hidden folder. I usually use terminal or remote login, so I'm not familiar enough with normal MacOS GUI usage to say how to access it...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Teensy 4.1 fuse location.
    The "fuse" is a self resetting type. It doesn't "blow" like an ordinary fuse. It's really just a resistor that greatly increases resistance when it gets hot from too much current flow. It returns back to normal when it cools down.
  • PaulStoffregen
    I've added this to my list of issues to investigate. Can you give me a little more info about the devices needed to reproduce this problem?
  • PaulStoffregen
    Posted on the website https://www.pjrc.com/bigfoot-midi-foot-controller/
  • PaulStoffregen
    I have updated the code security page with a "Pin 25 Issue" section and this code. Hopefully it can help everyone in the future who needs to update secure firmware and use pin 25 for input that might be low during boot...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, works great with 2.3.2. Arduino developers made some nice improvements at version 2.3.0 (especially if using Windows, still good but less needed on Mac and Linux) so definitely use the latest version.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Article posted on the website today https://www.pjrc.com/laser-tag-upgrade-for-halo-style-game-play/
  • PaulStoffregen
    This will not work. The problem is here: This line will use SPI (pins 11,12,13) not SPI2. Inside SD.h, you can see this init() function just calls SD.begin(pin)...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Other people have used those SD-emulating chips successfully on the main SPI port, and SPI2 has been confirmed working with regular SD cards, so I'm pretty sure this can work. My guess is a wiring error. Those bottom side pads are tiny! Can...
  • PaulStoffregen
    We do have a USB host port on Teensy 4.1. I'm not sure if we ever really implemented these virtual modem control signals in USBHost_t3. But if not, they certainly could be made to work with some amount of code added to that library. Of course...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I believe I may have a solution for the pin 25 problem on Lockable Teensy. Try running this program on your Lockable Teensy. You'll need to use Serial Monitor, or delete the wait for Serial Monitor to open. void setup() { Serial.begin(9600)...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Indeed many years ago I tested almost every breadboard I could find, about 40 different models (but many were probably the same with different packaging). BPS and Twin Industries were by far the best quality. That's why PJRC sells the BPS...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Using the IDE offline.
    This is really a question for Arduino. Probably best to ask on their forum. I can confirm, as of version 1.59, the Teensy software does not use internet connectivity. Everything installed from PJRC runs locally on your machine. Future...
  • PaulStoffregen
    RAM won't be the bottleneck. DTCM is plenty fast enough. The 3 difficult tasks (in likely order of difficulty) are 1: FlexIO with DMA to acquire the data, 2: Optimized code on both Teensy and PC to sustain USB transfer speed, 3: Optimized code...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Can you help me?.
    Lockable Teensy comes with a white lock icon stamp. They're also packed in an anti-static bag that says "Lockable" and has the lock icon printed on the bag. If your Teensy 4.1 lacks this stamp, then it's standard Teensy which can never be...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Well that moves everything from impossible to only extremely unlikely. I mentioned the Serial printing speed (a.k.a. lines / second) benchmark where we saw a pretty wide range of performance depending on the PC side software. Maybe Defragster...
  • PaulStoffregen
    These are both effectively read-only. They are functions which return the current value of these virtual signals. They're not variables you can write, or read directly. Reading is done by calling the function. To the extent DTE & DEC...
  • PaulStoffregen
    But maybe by "moving average of every 4 bits" you intend for Teensy to downsample the data? Really just guessing here, as I really don't have any idea what those words are meant to say.
  • PaulStoffregen
    No, definitely not feasible. Maximum theoretical USB 480 Mbit/sec speed with protocol overhead is 53,248,000 bytes/sec. See page 55 (83rd page in the PDF) of the USB 2.0 spec for details. But that doesn't include data-dependent bitstuffing...
  • PaulStoffregen
    It should be fine. So far almost all the changes we've made in SdFat are for compatibility with other libraries you're not using. The only changes (I can recall) for actual functionality involve support for very old or buggy SD cards. Those...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Article posted on the website today https://www.pjrc.com/ham-radio-cw-monitor/
  • PaulStoffregen
    I ran it again with the battery connected directly to A10 and A17. Here's what I see in the serial monitor. Sample voltage = 979 Verify voltage = 979 Sample voltage = 979 Verify voltage = 978 Sample voltage = 979 Verify voltage = 979 Sample...
    • 1711998636744.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    If the voltage is always less than 3.3V (even when the batteries are fresh) no resistors are needed. I simply made a guess, since you didn't give any details about how your hardware was connected. I could try again, but I still don't understand...
  • PaulStoffregen
    As a quick test, I connected a similar battery to A10 using two 10K resistors, and the 3.3V power to pin A17 also using two 10K resistors. I ran your program for several minutes. This is the result I see in the serial monitor window (Arduino...
    • 1711976947396.png
    • 1711976983373.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    Blind guess, perhaps you're using resistor dividers with high value resistors (over 10K) because you want to avoid wasting power in the resistors? The ADC inputs want fairly low impedance drive. With pots, usually 10K is the highest resistance...
  • PaulStoffregen
    A properly made USB C to USB Micro B (or any of the non-C device connectors) cable should have those 5.1K resistors built in.
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Strapping pins?.
    I tried but could not reproduce this problem with a Teensy 4.1 and 100K resistors on pins 30, 31, 32. I uploaded the File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink program many times by clicking Arduino IDE's upload, no need to press Teensy's pushbutton...
    • 1711972511177.png
  • PaulStoffregen
    Article posted on the website today https://www.pjrc.com/funkstern-plus-radio-art-object/
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread teensy4.1 vs 3.5/3.6.
    Teensy 4.1 is the same form factor and very similar pinout, but not 100% identical. You could probably use that breakout board and simply not make use of the pins for the bottom side.
  • PaulStoffregen
    The 3 programs you get when you click the 3 buttons in the Teensy 4 Security tool (which only exists in Arduino IDE 1.8.19, Tools > Teensy 4 Security menu)
  • PaulStoffregen
    If you want to use only Arduino IDE 2.x, you could briefly use Arduino IDE 1.8.19 and simply save the 3 programs. They should work fine with the newer IDE. But do keep in mind those programs need to be kept secure. If an attacker were to...
  • PaulStoffregen
    At 230400 baud, each bit takes 4.34us. Each byte in 8N1 format requires 43.4us. I don't have a clear idea of your code, but you did say "I'm sampling a port every 1 µs using IntervalTimer" and "I'm trying to write one character between...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Posted on the website today https://www.pjrc.com/nuclear-pioneer-gamma-ray-spectrometer/
  • PaulStoffregen
    How about this? https://www.pjrc.com/tmp/hello4.exe Maybe with more of these downloaded enough times, SmartScreen will take notice?
  • PaulStoffregen
    Best thing you can do while you wait for replacement hardware is extensively test your application running on the damaged board. If it runs successfully for the rest of this week, perhaps that will be good enough to meet your deadline next week.
  • PaulStoffregen
    Maybe. There is no 100% certain answer. The power quality will be lower, but I can not predict whether the lower quality will manifest as problems in your application. You should begin testing to answer this question for yourself, specific to...
  • PaulStoffregen
    R2 is used for the red LED which shows bootloader status. Teensy 4.1 can work without this LED. C21 and C29 are 3.3V decoupling capacitors. C21 is close to the SD socket and QSPI pads. C29 is close to the ethernet chip. Teensy 4.1 can...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I'm guessing you're dealing with code someone else wrote on this PC? If so, please first make sure you have backup copies of all the files. Especially if the PC you're using has the only (very old) copy of the working (with Arduino IDE 1.0.5)...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Arduino IDE 1.8.5 is the oldest supported. But the IDE version probably isn't your main challenge. If you have code which was written for the Teensy 3.0 hardware, porting to Teensy 4.0 means rewriting the low-level USB code which actually...
  • PaulStoffregen
    PaulStoffregen replied to the thread Audio board (REV D)..
    Most function generators output with a fairly low impedance which can easily drive the input's 2.2K resistor. But to get a signal with low enough amplitude, you might need to add a resistor divider to decrease the signal level. Indeed the 0.1uF...
  • PaulStoffregen
    I was also going to ask about those pins. Maybe I misunderstood the description "Attempting to download the blink program at this point or any other for that matter, fails, the USB port drops out" to mean the code begins to load but fails after...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Teensy is assembled in Oregon, USA. Final testing and firmware programming is done in Oregon, USA. The 2 microcontroller chips both have China as country of origin. NDAA compliance is easy, since Teensy isn't telecommunications or video...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Something is going wrong here, but your Teensy is almost certainly not bricked. I want to help, but it is difficult to get a clear picture of what's really happening because your description of the problem is heavy on interpretation / analysis...
  • PaulStoffregen
    Yes, just use analogWrite after Serial6.begin. The analogWrite function takes control of the pin away from Serial6.
Back