Search results

1. C

Teensy 4.1 not turning on and heating up

It's highly likely that the Teensy is damaged. 5V will blow up an I/O pin, 12V would likely cause even more damage. Best bet is to get another one. You would need specialized equipment to replace the chip, assuming that that was the only problem. Maybe you can get expedited shipping for a...
  2. C

EncoderTool

Did a $ git pull, then $ git switch Fix-ESP-compile-issue Then recompiled my program. No errors. Hope that helps. Then back to master. All seems good.
  3. C

EncoderTool

@luni, my pleasure. Besides changing the branch, are there any other requirements or things to change? I'm using 1.58.1 for Teensy, is that ok? Yes, I will try it out.
  4. C

Computer crashes using Arduino IDE 2.1.0 and earlier 2.0

Sorry I cannot help you. I have a similar problem, but using Linux on a PC. I get crashes after programming a Teensy. It's so bad, I have to do my programming via a Raspberry Pi. At least for me, the computer freezes some random time after the programming, between 10 to 60 seconds later...
  5. C

32-bit Counter Driven by an External 10MHz clock (Teensy 4.0) - Feasible?

Rubidium clocks have good short term stability, but don't do that well long term. Over what time period are you requiring stability. For a detailed explanation search NIST papers. If you are effectively integrating over a long time period then you may need a long term stable clock. See Clock...
  6. C

Interfacing to a high throughput Ethernet Sensor

I've heard of lidar scanners outputting udp. Why would one want to use TCP? If there's some bad data, the next frame will be fine. TCP is used for validating messages were sent properly, like for banking. If a pixel is out, does it matter? It shouldn't, in a robust system. Not trying to be...
  7. C

Any gotchas or guidance upgrading from 0.58.3 to the current standard release 1.58.1?

Nothing unseemly happened from the upgrade. So to answer my own question, the answer is no, no gotcha's. This is simply due to having backups :), had they not been done disaster would have surely followed. Thanks for a simple and uneventful upgrade. Even re-learned rsync again...
  8. C

Any gotchas or guidance upgrading from 0.58.3 to the current standard release 1.58.1?

In an abundance of caution, Documents, Arduino, arduino15 and arduinoIDE are now backed up. Don't think there will be a problem, but it is better to backup and not need it, than the other way around! Kind of forgot how to use rsync, took a little while to figure out the magic incantations...
  9. C

Yes, running linux (for quite a while now, 20 years?). Must of overlooked the zip file. Think I downloaded the AppImage because I wanted a similar experience with my RPI4. Arduino is not supporting RPI any more on IDE 2. I am using the RPI AppImage that was created at...
  10. C

Does the .arduinoIDE folder also need a similar treatment? Must be related to the appImage IDE, I don't remember it from the previous IDE.
  11. C

Updated Arduino IDE2 to V2.1.0. It tells me that there's a new board package for Teensy. I was running with 0.58.3 to get EncoderTool and TeensyTimerTool to work correctly, (with 64 bit encoders) per @luni 's instructions. Is 1.58.1 a "safe update? I'm supporting an electronic lead screw...
  12. C

Teensy Qt

Been a Linux person for a while now, more than a decade. So installing MS stuff on Linux gives me pause, simply due to past MS hostility to the platform. Perhaps things have changed, and it is worth trying.
  13. C

Teensy Qt

Thanks. Haven't tried platform.io yet. Wasn't quite sure how to install it. Went to the GitHub site and they assumed you knew everything;). But I didn't. Is it a decent development environment? How hard is it to set up Teensy or other microcontrollers? Went to the wrong site. Oops. Have...
  14. C

Teensy Qt

@defragster , thanks. It sort of works. I was able to program my 4.1. However, it didn't automatically launch tycommander. But if I open tycommander manually, it seems to work. I will look at it some more.
  15. C

Teensy Qt

@defragster trying to get this to work on an RPI4. A little fuzzy on what actually goes in the { }. You have a {cmd.path}, {build.path} and a {build.project_name}. In the IDE1, one needed to open tycommander and click Tools > Integrate to Arduino. Do I need to do that for IDE2? If so...
  16. C

Teensy Qt

Thanks! Appreciate the heads up. I will try looking in that area.
  17. C

Teensy Qt

What is the recommended way to integrate tycommander to IDE 2.0.4 for a Raspberry Pi(64 bit)? In IDE1, I knew where the files were. In IDE2, umm, I have no idea where they are stored? This is the appImage from https://github.com/koendv/arduino-ide-raspberrypi - since there doesn't appear to...
  18. C

What's the fastest way to have a Teensy 4 speak to multiple Teensy 4s?

If you can use a T4.1, perhaps you could do ethernet? 100Mbit ethernet isn't too slow... A switch could handle as many nodes as you need.
  19. C

PJRC Server Change

No notifications (from threads I have posted in) have been received. Should have gotten one today. Apparently the switchover didn't preserve some settings?
  20. C

Quadrature encoder mode Teensy 4.1

I'm afraid, I'm not following you. I'm directly counting encoder pulses, via the library, and not doing anything with Serial1. Since you haven't posted any code, both me and the rest of the forum can only guess at what you are doing. Pulsing a LED using the delay function is not good, you may...
  21. C

Powering Teensy from 6V

It is possible to power a Teensy 4.1 from "6V" sort of. As mentioned above, it depends which batteries you use, (their chemistry, or more to the point, their output voltage.) You shouldn't exceed 5.5V I believe. However, remember the I/O drivers for Teensy are 3.3V and are not 5V tolerant...
  22. C

Question on acquiring high speed external ADC data through SPI and USB bridge

Please be advised that getting the full 16 bits of performance from the ADC is not easy. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines (to the letter) to get all 16 bits worth, especially with filtering supplies and recommended grounding layout. It matters a lot! Good luck. It's not uncommon (with...
  23. C

Question on acquiring high speed external ADC data through SPI and USB bridge

I think SPI should be able to do this. However, I ended up just implementing a parallel interface for all 16 bits. This is possible with a Teensy 4.1, but not a Teensy 4.0. With a Teensy 4.0, you can do a byteswap (8 bits at a time), but the ISR is longer. The External ADC (AD7667) can...
  24. C

Scales are easy. I was surprised at how well it seemed to work. A scale is merely a linear quadrature encoder. Just count pulses and multiply the count by your calibration factor. Oh, and check for double counts and stuff like that. About 30 LOC with lots of blank lines, for an axis. When...
  25. C

Yes, I am using int64 counters for my electronic lead screw in my lathe. @luni was gracious (and talented enough) to modify his encoder library. I can report it is working well on two different lathes. I am also using the same library to read standard glass or magnetic scales for position...
  26. C

Rank beginner question: Test tone for ADC test

matplotlib was acting up. Here are the two pictures, first the time domain. The time domain figure is partially cut off. The signal is 2.499000V plus what you see on the Y-axis. Midpoint is roughly 2.4990 + 0.00025V. 4096 samples from my 16 bit ADC. For the FFT, the Teensy performed a 4K...
  27. C

@MarkT, Probably so. Sound cards aren't bad - if you have one. They are also limited to audio rates. Eventually hope to measure impulses coming from a PIN diode, due to scattered low energy X-rays. Unfortunately the X-ray events are randomly distributed (in time) and don't occur at audio...
  28. C

ARM_MATH library

Just as a fyi, FFTW consists of 53 folders and about 3500 files. I probably don't need 75% of them, but it's not just a couple of files. I'll keep on looking into it, but it doesn't seem trivial.
  29. C

ARM_MATH library

FFTW is pretty easy to build on many OS's. I built it in 2009 for the Cell processor, which ran Yellow Dog Linux. I don't know how to do a build for a Teensy. Definitely not plug and play, as compared to a standard PC build, since Teensy has no OS.
  30. C

ARM_MATH library

Even the latest CMSIS is limited to 4K FFT's. I wonder why that is? Can't a Teensy/M7 do a bigger one? Is it some sort of register limit? There's lots of RAM. Or is it a matter of keeping the library size under control?
  31. C

ARM_MATH library

Err, made a few mistakes. Dumb indexing problem at the end - printing out. Should be 8*i + j, not i+j. Also forgot to scale the FFT. That matters, at least if you are comparing noise floors. Still limited to 4K ffts.
  32. C

ARM_MATH library

Sort of have something running, but the results don't look correct just yet. I cannot get the "more modern way" to work. This is the sequence that I use. Not the whole program. I'd post it, but it contains code from a different contributor, and I have not gotten permission yet. So these are...
  33. C

ARM_MATH library

Where I get tripped up are the defines, or the specific names that are used to get the larger FFT's I don't know what they are called. Will make an attempt at it... A lot of the examples are very specific and there's little attempt to generalize them, so I'm left guessing what to do next...
  34. C

ARM_MATH library

Realize this is a merry go round sort of thing - https://arm-software.github.io/CMSIS-DSP/latest/group__ComplexFFT.html shows the version of cmsis-dsp is now 1.14.3. At least 1.14.3 shows f64 functions. I think I found a 4K F32 FFT in 1.12. That's better than a 1K F32 FFT. For ADC...
  35. C

ARM_MATH library

Realize this is an older thread, but the topic is the same. Where can I actually find the transform functions in the current Teensy CMSIS? What size FFT's are available in f32 for T4x? Is it possible to increase the FFT size, to 32K or 64K? I'd like to characterize a 16 bit ADC and large...
  36. C

Seem to have gotten something to work. Final code is: #include <Audio.h> #include <Wire.h> #include <SPI.h> #include <SD.h> #include <SerialFlash.h> // GUItool: begin automatically generated code AudioSynthWaveformSine sine1; //xy=185.1666717529297,260.1666717529297 AudioMixer4...
  37. C

I haven't spent that much time with this yet, but I am considering using the audio library to create a test sine wave to check an external ADC. From what I understand, I can control amplitude, frequency, and phase. I need the tone centered about Vref/2 of the ADC. I suppose I can simply use...
  38. C

Encoder too fast for Arduino? Would Teensy 4.0 help?

I have run EncoderTool up to 400 KHz. I think beyond that you should look into the HW encoders in the post above. I was able to use 64 bit counters for EncoderTool which meant I didn't need to deal with roll overs, at least in any practical time sense. Used EncoderTool to read a 4096 PPR...
  39. C

LPSPI speed limit and QSPI

Does your library ILI9341_t3n allow (ie. not overwrite a user supplied setting) a SPI CLOCK setting of 60MHz? I just want to do a test. No point of dragging out the oscilloscope if I know the setting is not observed. Kind of hard to tell from a casual glance at your source code. It compiles...
  40. C

Thanks for the actual numbers. Appreciate that.
  41. C

Probably none that are spec'd that fast in my possession at the moment. Best I can do is try to drive an ILI9341 faster and see what happens. I have one installed on a PCB I can try.
  42. C

Thanks for that. This is a helpful table. The question somewhat remains - how fast can it really go? I'd think the actual I/O drivers on the outputs wouldn't be able to drive 120MHz without heroics. Don't think that one could juice up the current drive enough to run for very long. 40 MHz...
  43. C

@KurtE, thanks for the tables. How are the QSPI memories supported ? Or the SD card on the T4.1? Some specialized driver? If I wanted a QSPI ADC, yeah, I'd have to search for one. Probably not many to choose from.
  44. C

I'd like to know the maximum SPI clock that a Teensy4 can support. Wading through some of the NXP documents (which is painful), the normal LPSPI clock is limited to f_peripheralclock/2. Can't seem to find where or how to set this peripheral clock and what it's limits are. Can someone let me...
  45. C

EncoderTool

I have tested the IDE2 generated hex file on my lathe. Seems to work fine, for which I am very grateful. Now I have to synchronize all my platforms - but that is not an EncoderTool topic.
  46. C

EncoderTool

Thank you for solving the problem. It now compiles, but I have not tested this on a live platform yet. I will try it tomorrow. Sorry to have touched a nerve. I was very anxious about fixing this, and experiencing numerous software faults all at once. It was traumatic to have no way to...
  47. C

EncoderTool

@luni, Issues registered on github. Don't know what else to do. I realize you are busy, but would appreciate your help here. Thanks. Trying to set up a gitlab repo with full instructions on how to build, but currently with IDE2 and the latest versions of your tools, my project is unbuildable.
  48. C

Arduino 2 IDE coexistance with 1?

All my warnings, like iso C++, unused variables are fixed and all of ILI9341_t3n issues are resolved. Thanks to all for your help. Only thing left generating issues are EncoderTool and TeensyTimerTool. The new compiler settings seem to be more severe. I am getting errors from those two...
  49. C

ILI9341_t3n did setTextBounds change?

Well that got rid of the rest of the warnings from this library. Thanks for your help!
  50. C

ILI9341_t3n did setTextBounds change?

Hmm. Ok. It seems in fillRect, the arguments are int16_t x, int16_t y, int16_t w, int16_t h, whereas w and h in getTextBounds are uint16_t. Guess I have to roll with it. Doesn't feel consistent, but that's me.
Back