Search results

1. Davidelvig

Headphone vs Lineout - and grounding issue and change to touchRead()

Very helpful answers! Thanks so much!
  2. Davidelvig

Adding MTP to a Teensy 4.1 project (and 3.2) that is already SERIAL + MIDI

I'm working in VS Code generally. Where might I find the proper copies of usb_desc.h and possibly usb_desc.c to peruse? (or within Arduino IDE for that matter)
  3. Davidelvig

So, my mission now is to explore getting Serial+MIDI+MTP(Very Beta) working for a serial port type. I'd welcome collaborators on this... particularly those smarter than I.
  4. Davidelvig

Android File Transfer worked after a reboot! This offers some real possibilities! Thanks, all! and using the Example_3_simple_SD.ino example from the MTP_Teensy library
  5. Davidelvig

Both you and Google are my friend! The first google hit for "MTP for Mac" is productive. Searching "MTP for SWIFT" is less productive (more depressing?) I did find this alleged solution at Android.com, though it and "CommanderOne" did not see the drive. Thanks
  6. Davidelvig

Thanks, @AndyA! I'll ping @KurtE and @WMXZ (or maybe I've just pinged them by mentioning them)
  7. Davidelvig

Got it. It does indeed match the root directory of the Teensy-mounted SD card. It does work on Windows, but not the Mac. Hmmm
  8. Davidelvig

Thanks, @AndyA On further attempts, I noted that Arduino was not seeing a Serial port for terminal output. A reset of the selected Teensy allowed me to see this output from setup() MTP_test SDIO Storage 0 254 sdio 0 0 SD Storage 1 10 sd1 failed or missing **** dir of sd[0] **** LOGS/ midi/...
  9. Davidelvig

Yes.. and I’m using the Arduino IDE
  10. Davidelvig

Is this possible? I've tried the MTP examples after downloading from each of these : https://github.com/KurtE/MTP_Teensy https://github.com/WMXZ-EU/MTP_t4 I'm doing this on a Teensy 4.1 board... and not yet seeing a new USB connected drive on my MacBook, so two questions: How can I best get...
  11. Davidelvig

Headphone vs Lineout - and grounding issue and change to touchRead()

I am using the Teensy 3.2 with a VS1053 synth chip from VLSI.fi. It has only a "headphone out" (no line out) and it has R, L and "GBUF" - and GBUF "should not be connected to other grounds" based on the VS1053 documentation. I'm using the Teensy 3.2's touch pins and touchRead() to detect finger...
  12. Davidelvig

Audio transfer line from External device to Teensy 4.0 to Headphones

The audio adaptor is great! It encapsulates so much of the audio IO stuff, that you just need to think about the signal processing on the Teensy.
  13. Davidelvig

Time compilation for setting clock

@defragster, When I flash the board in the Arduino IDE, it sets the time to essentially now (?build time) Not when flashing in PlatformIO Here are the last lines of a verbose output after build and upload in PlatformIO Do I need to adjust the CURRENT line above to use teensy-cli? and maybe...
  14. Davidelvig

I'll review my code. Thanks for this guidance, @BriComp !
  15. Davidelvig

I'm struggling to craft a search string for this, so please forgive if this has been answered. For a new Teensy (4.1 in my case - and 3.2 until recently) that has not has an RTC connected or powered, I'll like to detect that the clock is not set with a call to timeStatus() in timeLib.h. If not...
  16. Davidelvig

Timelib.h and Daylight saving Time

I'm re-designing moving from Teensy 3.2 to Teensy 4.1 timeline.h defines a tmElements structure that has no "time zone" or "time zone offset" that I can see. The solution depends on several things: - discovering the time - from an external source or via manual entry (or from compiling... see...
  17. Davidelvig

Beware! T4x RTC power consumption

I'm listening but this is part of the discussion above my pay grade. Because of the current draw, I re-implemented an older circuit of mine for Push On - Hold Off, and am now using a separate RTC as noted earlier in this thread. I'd like to use the onOff and RTC of the Teensy, but the power...
  18. Davidelvig

Teensy 4.1 and multiple MIDI IO (as a device in each case)

Working now with 3 MIDI outputs employing different baud rates. (usbMIDI and Serial7 proven now. Serial2 does not cause errors, but needs proof of transmission) /* Example using 3 ways to access Serial MIDI - usbMIDI - Two HardwareSerial MIDI ports, one with a custom baud rate */ #include...
  19. Davidelvig

It's not clear from the MIDI documentation how to set a baud rate that is port specific. I see the example CustomBaudRate here that seems to set a default baud rate - but I'm not seeing how to do that differentially per port, so that: MIDI_CREATE_INSTANCE(HardwareSerial, Serial2, MIDI2); //...
  20. Davidelvig

With that clue, yes, I guess it should be. I'm trying to put together several routes: One using class-compliant USB MIDI - which should use "USB MIDI" library: - usbMIDI.sendNoteOn(), and two other routes over HardwareSerial which will use something around "MIDI" library: -...
  21. Davidelvig

I have a MIDI Wind Controller that sends MIDI in up to 3 directions: USB (I have been using the usbMIDI object) Serial7 (sending to a BLE module, rather manually through Serial7.write(). I need to add message receipt. It's presently wired for 100000baud) Serial2 (sending only, to a Synth chip...
  22. Davidelvig

Really helpful! Thanks!
  23. Davidelvig

@BriComp, I reviewed that data sheet (whew!) I think the only I2C commands I need to figure out are: - how to set and read the unix time - disable the CLKOUT Diagram 7.2 looks like a coin cell method to maintain RTC Diagram 7.3 if ( want to investigate a rechargeable coin cell replacement)...
  24. Davidelvig

This is all great stuff! For my current go-around, I’m using the Teensy4.1 for all it’s worth (including rtc and push-button on-off) and I’ve switched to a CR 2450 battery to extend the inevitable battery drain on VBAT. And I’m considering how to make in-the-field battery changes easier. Next...
  25. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Thanks. I'm hesitating a bit at the price. I'm going to search for, and or start a new thread specifically on RTC and battery life. I have taken this thread too far from its title.
  26. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Sorry, this RTC on JLCPCB, the NXP PCF8563T with data sheet here As it happens, a "Basic" part on JLCPCB
  27. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Thanks, @BriComp! That looks like it is fully stand-alone - i.e. with an embedded crystal. Is that your read? It would work with a just few R's and C's? I've been perusing JLCPCB/parts and found this, though I think, while cheaper ($0.46) it requires a separate crystal. ... all the while...
  28. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

One more clarification/question before I consider enclosure redesign and battery selection: - is it possible to get lower VBAT drain in any way and still get RTC? - can I de-power the T41 board without using the OnOff function and achieve that? (I don't have a way to measure uAmp currents)
  29. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

OK, with this and another thread, my conclusions are: - the OnOff pin on the Teensy 4.1 is really cool! It allows me to eliminate a similar circuit from my daughterboard to provide push-button on-off. - the function comes, not surprisingly, at a power cost (20-30 uA), drawing from the VBAT when...
  30. Davidelvig

That's helpful. Thanks! I think I need to account for battery replacement in the field
  31. Davidelvig

That’s more reassuring. My product has been in the field with Teensy 3.2 for about a year. No known dead batteries. With 1.5-2 year coin cell life, I’ll want to consider customer change-ability, or an easy mail-in service to change it. I’d welcome other reports as well, or a formula and usage...
  32. Davidelvig

I’m reluctant to revive an old post, but… Is this still a thing? My new design moves from Teensy 3.2 to 4.1. I’ve been relying on VBAT to keep the RTC alive “forever” Do I need a different solution for that? Short question: How long will a CR2032 last on a Teensy 4.1 when it is off?
  33. Davidelvig

Request for a schematic review - paid opportunity, if you wish

I’ve had help on the original issue leading to this post and the main problem is solved. The post on VBAT was an extra bonus!
  34. Davidelvig

Thanks, and wow! I had not considered easy swapping on the coin cell in my design. I’ll have to mull this over.
  35. Davidelvig

Fried my Teensy 4.1 ?

UN-DEAD! Thanks so much to Netherlands PaulS Had a misplaced voltage regulator (AP7313) on my board, using the Teensy's 3v3 output as the IN input. Knocking that part off the circuit disabled my SGTL5000, but the rest is working! The Teensy runs. The TPD3S014 does not get hot. I'm a changed...
  36. Davidelvig

I've designed only a few Teensy boards. I now am designing a new Teensy 4.1 daughterboard. I could use coaching from a more seasoned Teensy-board-familiar electrical engineering type person. My main interest at this time: - assure I'm using Teensy power pins correcting (GND, VIN, VUSB, 3V3...
  37. Davidelvig

Fried my Teensy 4.1 ?

Yes. I'll give that a go.
  38. Davidelvig

Fried my Teensy 4.1 ?

Upon connecting USB, and as the chip rapidly heats up, the 3v3 pin on the Teensy 4.1 rises to 0.95v This while soldered on to my daughterboard (51 pins soldered). The Daughter board has no LiPo bat connected (That may have been a false alarm).
  39. Davidelvig

Fried my Teensy 4.1 ?

With further review, I don't think LiPo was reversed. My clear questions at present are: What sorts of inputs would cause the TPD3S014 to overheat quickly Would that overheating lead to a bricked Teensy? Also, I'll be posting a separate post offering to hire a Teensy-familiar engineer to...
  40. Davidelvig

Fried my Teensy 4.1 ?

I think I finally did it. I have a daughterboard, into which a Teensy 4.1 plugs. I believe I had the LiPo connector reversed. The Teensy got very hot. I removed the LiPo as quickly as I could. Probably 20-30 seconds in place. Subsequent test of the LiPo-less Teensy show it to be...
  41. Davidelvig

Locking Jumper Holes for Teensy mounting to a carrier board

Thanks, @MarkT You mean like this, and then, during testing, apply side pressure... with no solder until testing passes?
  42. Davidelvig

A quick bump to see if anyone has experience of advice regarding using offset/locking PCB hole patterns for mounting a Teensy.
  43. Davidelvig

I'd like to use a zig-zag hole patter (locking or locking long-pads). I'll adapt my Teensy 4.1 footprint. This is to facilitate full testing of all pins and circuits before making 48 solder joints, and perhaps wasting a teensy on a bad carrier board. My questions: Is this good practice for...
  44. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Got it. So some power from the coin cell (in my case) on VBAT keeps something in the MCU charged so that grounding On/Off can cause a startup (but only if there’s power at startup time on VIN to actually power a start up). I have not worried about coin cell longevity before, assuming (with no...
  45. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

I think I tested the power with LiPo unplugged, and just USB. I’ll try again on LiPo only with an ammeter in line.
  46. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

Oh my goodness! It solves it all for me! - I disconnected pin 16 from On/Off and the push-button on-off works as expected with 5-second off and 1/2 second on. - then I run your three lines of code at a time of my choosing... if (myConditionIsMet) { SNVS_LPCR |= SNVS_LPCR_TOP; // Setting...
  47. Davidelvig

On/Off Pin on Teensy 4.1

OK, I've found the simple reproducible case (using Blinky example code). The Teensy 4.1 On/Off pin works as expected if On/Off is not otherwise connected to any pin. If I connect a GPIO pin to that On/Off pin, then grounding the On/Off pin turns the Teensy off as expected, but subsequent...
  48. Davidelvig

SPI Help - moving from Teensy 3.2 to 4.1

Advice from ST Micro seems to be: - enter I2C commands sufficient to disable I2C. Then use SPI. So, since I have a pull-up resistor on CS, and this can be the I2C active mode (on start-up), and since the shared pins on the LSM6DSM are not on the standard I2C pins on the Teensy, I'll try the...
  49. Davidelvig

SPI Help - moving from Teensy 3.2 to 4.1

I submitted a support request to ST Micro documenting the saga, and asking for best practices when using this chip for SPI comms. I'll report back. Thanks, all, for your help!
Back