Search results

1. G

How to do "pass-through" knobs on synth with presets?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on programming "pass through" knobs? After a preset is loaded, the knob position no longer represents the loaded value. pass-through knob behavior means that when the user turns the knob, it isn't updated until it "passes through" the loaded value and then...
  2. G

Going from Teensy to "Real Product"?

Hey everyone, I use a Teensy LC in a product that I've been lucky enough to sell a few hundred of. I designed my PCB so the Teensy LC just plugs right in, but now that the Teensy LC is discontinued, I am trying to figure out what my options are. A few questions I have: 1. If I'm able to source...
  3. G

The very last Teensy 3.5 and Teensy 3.6 are available today, limit 2 per person.

Would love to see a drop-in replacement for the LC come out! including the DAC pin. Not sure how many other people are in the same situation, but I've designed a product that uses the LC and have ordered several hundred of them with only about 30 left in stock. The LC is a great product and has...
  4. G

Changing MIDI Pitch Bend Range.. what am I doing wrong??

Hey MatrixRat.. oh wow, OK I've never seen those dedicated RPN commands. Are they doing anything different than the commands I was using? And are they availale for the serial midi library as well?
  5. G

Hey MatrixRat, I have no problems sending the Pitch Bend with that command. What I'm trying to do is set the listening synth/software's pitch bend range (how many semitones of change the sendPItchBend command will actually cover). Some details here...
  6. G

I've honestly never had a piece of software or hardware respond to this.. usbMIDI.sendControlChange(101, 0, midichannel[a]); usbMIDI.sendControlChange(100, 0, midichannel[a]); usbMIDI.sendControlChange(6, midibendrange, midichannel[a])...
  7. G

Maybe the Teensy Audio Library should just be an extension of FAUST?

As I delve more into FAUST, I can't help but notice that their library is -extensive-. Anti-aliased oscillators, all types of filters, resonating bodies, compressors, fm synthesis, advanced math functions, reverbs, MIDI support, etc. I feel like I can make anything and all of the hard work has...
  8. G

Location of boards.txt in Arduino 2?

The only boards.txt on my harddrive (running linux) is in the old arduino-1.8.13 folder. Hmmm.. Good tip on that boards.local.txt though, I wish there was a way to make boards.txt changes that were only per-project.
  9. G

Location of boards.txt in Arduino 2?

Hey everyone, going by a suggestion in another thread to edit boards.txt to adjust the audio samplerate https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/38753-Discussion-about-a-simple-way-to-change-the-sample-rate?p=322193&viewfull=1#post322193, I've successfully done this in Arduino 1.8.13, but I recently...
  10. G

Discussion about a simple way to change the sample-rate

Has anyone got this to work on a Teensy 4 with the Audio Shield? I tried the code below and it compiled, but AUDIO_SAMPLE_RATE_EXACT is still showing up as 44100. I'm calling setI2SFreq(22050) in setup() after enabling the audio shield.
  11. G

Adding RAM to the Teensy 4 for FAUST audio applications?

Thanks h4yn0nnym0u5e, I'll start doing some research. The C++ FAUST code gets automatically generated, so it's pretty much a black box to me.. just concerned the added memory won't be seen by the FAUST object since I can't edit the code to have it use a different memory location.
  12. G

Adding RAM to the Teensy 4 for FAUST audio applications?

Hey everyone, I've successfully got some FAUST projects working on the Teensy 4, very excited! One of the projects involves a lot of delay lines (144 of them up to 50ms long) and it seems like I need at least triple the memory that the Teensy currently has. Is there a way to add this memory...
  13. G

How to do these statements inside a FOR loop?

Hi Paul, looks like the first method worked! Thank you. Why can't it be even simpler like: String enable[] = { "enable0", "enable1", "enable2", "enable3", "enable4", "enable5", "enable6", "enable7", "enable8", "enable9", "enable10", "enable11" }; and for (int a...
  14. G

How to do these statements inside a FOR loop?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to simplify my code and make the following statements inside a nice/easy FOR loop. I'll be manipulating these variables lots, so being able to address them like an array would help out lots. This code is to change parameters inside a FAUST audio object, but I figure the...
  15. G

FAUST to Audio System Design Tool Object?!

Hi StweartG, I was hoping for something that can turn the FAUST code into an object that would appear as a block in the graphic user interface of the Audio System Design Tool for Teensy. With the appropriate amount of inputs/outputs so connections can be drawn and final code outputted, etc.
  16. G

FAUST to Audio System Design Tool Object?!

I love the Teensy Audio System Design tool, and I love FAUST. Just wondering if there's a way to combine them? It'd be magical to be able to export FAUST code into an object that can be wired up in the Audio System Design Tool showing the appropriate number of inputs and outputs. Maybe it's...
  17. G

"Serial + MIDI" any compatibility issues? And clarification needed...

Hey everyone, I have a finished project that's shipping (in small quantities) with an embedded Teensy LC. It outputs MIDI messages through USB but also through DIN MIDI. I've been also using Serial.print to observe raw ADC values. Initially this was just for my personal debugging, but I left...
  18. G

"Serial + MIDI" VS "MIDI" alone? Also, how to access serial data?

Rmidi is just a 220 ohm resistor as you suspected.
  19. G

pure tone generation and output to speaker

Hi Hirnwunde, sounds like a fun project! Info on the LM4871 can be found in the datasheet: https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4871.pdf As you can see, this chip can drive an 8ohm or 4ohm speaker but only delivers 3W maximum. I'm not sure if this will move your speaker enough for the laser...
  20. G

Circuit Board Design

Hey rcon, self-taught PCB layout is a bit of a challenge. I have been doing occasional boards for over 10 years now and each time I learn something new. The first time things blew up (the footprint for the transistors were all backwards), by the third time things worked. My suggestions would...
  21. G

"Serial + MIDI" VS "MIDI" alone? Also, how to access serial data?

Hey everyone! So I've recently completed a little MIDI controller that sends MIDI data via USB using the Teeny LC. Everything is working great so far. I've Compiled this as "MIDI" and I'm still using the Serial.print for some debugging information, etc so I can see it through Arduino Monitor...
  22. G

Adafruit_NeoPixel - works when compiled on one computer, not another

Thanks for checking that KurtE, although I admit I really don't know what I'm looking at. Is this a potential error in the library itself? And is there any issues if I just keep compiling as "smallest code" so at least it works in the mean time?
  23. G

Thanks KurtE, I'm playing around on the "working" computer, and noticed that the neopixels work ONLY if the optimizing is set to: Smallest Code Smallest Code with LTO I have a feeling that this was the issue, and I can verify tomorrow when I'm in front of my work computer. I guess the...
  24. G

I have a strange problem, my program that uses Adafruit_NeoPixel works when I compile it on one computer but not another. The target board is a Teensy LC. Is there a difference between this library as found in the Arduino Libraries section and the one that comes shipped with the Teensyduino...
  25. G

Which hardware improvement(s) to reduce noise on Teensy analog inputs?

This might save you some work/stress/etc: My two cents would be to think about how many discrete steps a person could actually ever move a slider like this. Most midi controls are only 128 discrete steps and that is "enough" for sliders and knobs controlling realtime audio parameters. Granted, I...
  26. G

3.3V Power regulation/noise differences between Teensy 3.2 and LC?

I figured the best way to figure this out would be to actually measure some Teensy LC's 3.3V rail. Here's the measurements for 30 LC's I know some sort of distribution curve would be better here, but I don't know how to make one in librecalc. The noise level seemed to be about 5mVpp.
  27. G

3.3V Power regulation/noise differences between Teensy 3.2 and LC?

Hey everyone, So I have a project that I developed on the 3.2 and want to move over to the LC. I use the 3.3V output pin on the Teensy for a few other things, and I'm just wondering what difference I should expect here going from the 3.2 to the LC? The pinout card shows that the LC is 100mA vs...
  28. G

Touch Sense through soldermask? And any advice for pad-shape?

Oh interesting, I thought touchRead and capacitiveSensor already did some sort of self calibration.
  29. G

Touch Sense through soldermask? And any advice for pad-shape?

Hey everyone, So I'm wanting to do a simple capacitive touch sense switch (just off or on) using the Teensy. I'm currently designing the PCB pads and wondering I can leave the soldermask on? This would definitely be a preference for me, so I don't show any bare-copper and can choose the...
  30. G

How to control routing of 1 audio signal to 12 different places?

I don't want a multiplexer/demultiplexer. The input isn't being routed to a single output at a time, but any combination. So I suppose I would need 12x 1:1 switches. Also can the 4051 pass a bipolar audio signal? I think it only operates in single-ended mode? I did some experimenting with what...
  31. G

Thanks tschrama, no the teensy ADC or DAC isn't involved. It's just a single analog audio signal and I want to control which of many amplifiers it goes to. There are 12 amplifiers and I need to be able to do any combination of them.. and I have at least 12 digital pins available on the teensy to...
  32. G

Thank you, Is this also the right application for an "Analog Switch" IC? I can't say I've ever used them before.
  33. G

Hey everyone, So I want to use my Teensy to control how audio gets routed to 12 different places. The audio is line-level (2Vpp max) and is a single mono signal, and it is going to 12 mono amplifier IC's - the teensy will be switching the audio off/on going to these amps. A quick note: I did...
  34. G

Teensy LC DAC only outputting 0-1.5V?

That worked thanks Paul. Should this line ever be used to configure a DAC on any teensy or should it be removed even when a Teensy 3.2 is the target?
  35. G

Teensy LC DAC only outputting 0-1.5V?

I'm have a strange issue with using the DAC on a Teensy LC. This code works fine on a Teensy 3.2, so I'm a bit confused.. maybe I'm missing something obvious? The code basically reads the ADC value at A9 (at 16 bits) and then outputs the reading as 12 bits to the DAC pin. It works fine from 0...
  36. G

Teensy LC on external 3.3V supply?

Hey everyone, I'm wondering if it's possible to run a Teensy LC off of a separate 3.3V power regulator? I see that it has an onboard regulator that's actually within the microcontroller (never saw that before!). So maybe the only way to power this is with a +5V going to the chip? I have a board...
  37. G

map() returns different values on arduino vs. teensy

Hey Mark, thanks for replying.. I didn't know the code was different than the arduino map() on purpose and looking at the "more conversation" thread linked in the commented code, it looks like Paul is aware of this exact issue as of May 2020. It also seems like someone else posted the fudgery...
  38. G

map() returns different values on arduino vs. teensy

After spending a night trying to debug an issue I was having, I narrowed it down the map() on my Teensy returning an incorrect value. map(1,0, 1, 100, 0); // returns 51 on teensy, 0 on arduino. I'd expect this to return 0, but the function returns 51 on my Teensy 3.2, Teensy LC and Teensy 3.0...
  39. G

Teensy 3.2 (and 3.1) occasionally not running on power up!

So I might have found what was causing this. My initial problem was that the Teensy in my application sometimes wouldn't turn on from a cold start (after being off for several minutes). When I isolated just the Teensy, I was able to make it not turn on properly, but only by cycling the power...
  40. G

I emailed you some large-ish files Paul that should hopefully help. I will also try some different things and report back.
  41. G

It is a Mastech HY1803. I'm also able to get the problem when switching on my project power supply (LM317 +15V into the L78L05) which also has a mechanical switch before the LM317. I did notice that when the Teensys don't run, the crystals aren't oscillating - if that's any help.
  42. G

Okay I made a little video of the problem happening. It happens on a cold start (after being off for minutes to hours), but the easiest way to demonstrate it on camera seems to be a quick power cycle. I'll also another observation: I couldn't reproduce the problem when unplugging/plugging the...
  43. G

Thanks Paul, I also rigged up an experiment last night using a second teensy to wait a random amount of time and turn on the first teensy and then monitor for the result. It logged thousands of passes and no fails. I will come back to this and make a video soon, thanks for taking the time to try...
  44. G

It fails to blink or run any code. The current draw also goes down from 30mA to 20mA.
  45. G

1 in every 20 is just a guess, sometimes it fails to execute twice in a row for example. Yes. Power supply 5+ to Vin and GND to GND.
  46. G

Here's some scope shots of the +5V supply and the Teensy's 3.3V supply in the 30ms after power is applied. I was hoping to see some sort of pattern indicating why the Teensy occasionally decides to not execute code on power up, but I can't see any differences. I'll also add that I'm also able to...
  47. G

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this problem before... I recently noticed that my most recent Teensy 3.2 based project wasn't executing code occasionally, maybe 1 in every 20 power ups. I did some investigation and this is what I've found so far: 1. When the Teensy fails to execute...
  48. G

Teensy 3.2 DAC accuracy? Alternatives?

In this case, accurate DC voltages that change between 1-100 seconds.
  49. G

Thanks for the suggestion Paul, the "complicated stuff" actually isn't complicated at all - just a comparison ( pressure.getValue() >= freezethresh ) between another ADC reading and a CONST. I will simplify my code as you suggested to just this ADC to DAC function and see if it changes anything...
  50. G

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. Using a DAC is new to me, so I didn't know that the maximum error would be at that point.. that's interesting. Is "Sigma-Delta" a style/type of DAC that I should be looking for?
Back