Search results

1. J

Tennsy 4.0 and W25Q64

I don't think my approach can work on a 4.0 without a way to add PSRAM--some sort of add-on board.
  2. J

Tennsy 4.0 and W25Q64

I did do this, pretty simply, addressing 8 or 16 megabytes as a single array. https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/extmem-and-playmem.74114/#post-335493 It has worked well for the simple use I had for it and avoided stuttering audio that I guessed (based on reading other reports in the...
  3. J

Future Teensy features & pinout

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/02/sd-express-cards-from-samsung-promise-faster-than-sata-speeds-for-microsd-devices/ Something to think about for a 4.1 successor.
  4. J

Uncanny Eyes is getting expensive

The duplicate libraries are a routine warning. They are not fatal, the program picks one from among the libraries it found and uses that. The fatal error is still just that it doesn't find ST_7789_t3.h in the places it expects. On my mac it probably in a different place than on your machine...
  5. J

I think your problem is likely that you moved where the files are located and the code needs to know where to look. If you put files inside the src folder you'd need to change a line something like that.
  6. J

#include "src/Display.h" or something similar
  7. J

Teensy 4.0 and mp3 and FrankB's audio library

I recently found that a new 16GB card had come formatted FAT32 and I'd declared it on the T4.1 as exFAT. It wasn't recognized by the T4.1 until I initiallized it as exFAT on my Mac. It is probably still inherently slower (UHS 1 vs UHS 3) but I think the SD command to read an entire file into...
  8. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #6

Now I see the memory used stuff: /Users/raine001/Documents - MacBook Pro/Arduino/TeensyEyes_copy_20240205/audio.ino: In function 'void loopAudio()': /Users/raine001/Documents - MacBook Pro/Arduino/TeensyEyes_copy_20240205/audio.ino:103:12: warning: unused variable 'touchSample1'...
  9. J

Does anyone have/know of a script that could be used to test the data writing speed of an Teensy 4.1 to External Ram, SD, or flash.

The combinatorial calculation underestimates the size of the problem. It doesn't count RAM2-->RAM2 and doesn't take into account that RAM2-->EXTMEM and EXTMEM-->RAM2 are different because write speed != read speed.
  10. J

Does anyone have/know of a script that could be used to test the data writing speed of an Teensy 4.1 to External Ram, SD, or flash.

There are so many different use cases that I think you are going to have to carefully select what you want measured and likely do it yourself. The different segments of RAM have different speeds, RAM1 vs RAM2, ITCM vs DTCM. Most people are using littleFS with EXTMEM, that's not necessary and...
  11. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

Again, what I'm seeing at the bottom tile of the arduino 2.2.1 window where it usually finishes with a list of amounts of memory used in various sections is the warning and then nothing below it. It does otherwise finish compiling and uploading and the code runs, but it seems to me that more is...
  12. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

I will try to put it in the post today. I don't know if it will help, but it's easy to do. I found an ancient 1 gb usb stick.
  13. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

I tried changing board type and back to teensy 4.1. It does compile, load and start running. It does not show the usual list of memory used in each section, just the error/warning messages -- the same ones, I think. In file included from /Users/raine001/Documents - MacBook...
  14. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

Does 59.5 use a different compiler version?
  15. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

I tried 'save a copy' then compiling that (somehow I have to recreate the src folder and move everything that I'd put into it back in place). It compiles pretty quickly but I'd guess that means it is not re-using anything from before. Once again I get just the error without the usual list of...
  16. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

Most of what I did to make Chris' codebase work on Arduino 2 IDE was to move a huge number of files into src/
  17. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

It doesn't compile.
  18. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

The program runs as expected with 1.58.1--the eyes move and sounds play for 12+hours. If I use just Serial.print statements those seem to print for at least hours. If I include Serial.printf, however, those quit working within 30 minutes; I'm guessing there's a memory leak, although I do not...
  19. J

Teensyduino 1.59 Beta #5

I have a modified version of Chris' Uncanny Eyes which compiles without errors on IDE 2 and 1.58.1 and gives this error on 0.59.5: In file included from /Users/raine001/Documents - MacBook Pro/Arduino/TeensyEyes/config.h:30, from /Users/raine001/Documents - MacBook...
  20. J

if you look at Chris' code (in config) you see: #ifdef USE_GC9A01A GC9A01A_Config eyeInfo[] = { // CS DC MOSI SCK RST ROT MIRROR USE_FB ASYNC {0, 2, 26, 27, 3, 0, true, true, true}, // Left display {10, 9, 11, 13, 8, 0, false, true, true}, // Right display }; #elif...
  21. J

Touch sensing?

https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/capacitive-touch-with-teensy-4-x.70822/#post-310565
  22. J

Touch sensing?

look at the FastTouch Library.
  23. J

GCC 11

Code to look at the stack is here.
  24. J

This syntax worked! const char songNames[][33] PROGMEM = {"ExtBuglecallrag.bin",
  25. J

I tried googling GCC and section type conflict. I found explanations that I can't follow/seem to require more thorough understanding of GCC than us simple Arduino IDE types are ready for. Here I found this comment: " This question is an exact duplicate of Inline static data causes a section...
  26. J

I played around with the idea of FreeStack.h this might be accurate; the numbers seem sort of reasonable: // brief FreeStack() function. #if defined(__IMXRT1062__) extern unsigned long _edata; extern unsigned long _sbss; extern unsigned long _ebss; // extern unsigned long...
  27. J

I have another question, trying to understand what is going on with the stack, I've found this (which generates appropriate numbers but a bunch of compiler warnings and only ratchets up as more and more of the words marked at setup are used) and also found, in an old version SD..., FreeStack.h...
  28. J

Firefox not accessing forum

I checked it with the help menu on firefox: cleared cache and cookies for pjrc as they suggested and it is working now. Thanks for your feedback!
  29. J

I'm starting to play with this again. I started with Chris' github repository but made some minor changes so I could use Arduino 2 IDE. last year I gave up because of stuttery sound and recently posted a solution using PSRAM (as one big array) and audio.playmem that does not stutter. with 23...
  30. J

Firefox not accessing forum

I can get into the forum using Chrome on my mac but for at least 24 hrs Firefox can't access it: Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. Size of a request header field exceeds server limit. Apache/2.4.52 (Ubuntu) Server at blogstaging.pjrc.com Port 443
  31. J

EXTMEM and playmem

raine001@MacBook-Pro-3 wave-bin % ./wav2bin_a converting: 05 Rhythm In The Pews.wav --> ExtRhythminthepewswav006.bin converting: 06 Four Brothers.wav --> ExtFourbrotherswavq.bin converting: 106 Hot Frogs on the Loose.wav --> ExtHotfrogsontheloosewav8extt.bin converting: 05 Oops.wav -->...
  32. J

EXTMEM and playmem

Yesterday I posted wav2bin code. Today I played with it some more on my mac. On the mac, file names can have spaces and punctuation in them. I threw a bunch of files at it and realized that some of the names produced had extraneous trailing characters (before the .bin). The issue is in...
  33. J

EXTMEM and playmem

I guess the other things my original post may not have made clear is that the ffmpeg commands convert all of the .mp3 or .m4a files in a single directory to .wav and likewise ./wav2bin (like wav2sketch does for .h and .cpp files) converts all the .wav files in the current directory to .bin...
  34. J

EXTMEM and playmem

What I used in the uncanny eyes is very much like what you see above. I have a separate audio.ino tab with a setupAudio() (without all the print statements above) and loopAudio() fcn. In the main uncanny eyes setup() I called setupAudio(). I did add a yield() to uncanny eyes in a couple of...
  35. J

EXTMEM and playmem

Last year I was trying to play music while running Chris' uncanny eyes on a T4.1 and gave up because the sound was stuttery. I probably went wrong in not paying more attention to advice I got from smarter people here. This year I thought I'd revisit it and try Teensy threads but as I read new...
  36. J

Suggestions for Audio with TeensyThreads

https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?threads/yet-another-file-player-and-recorder.70963/ looks like really good information! I will study it. Thanks!
  37. J

Suggestions for Audio with TeensyThreads

About a year ago I tried getting Uncanny Eyes and audio and SD to work together on a T4.1. The audio was always stuttery. I tried passing control from the eyes to the audio with yield() statements, I think, pretty aggressively. I got busy with warm weather projects and put it aside as a failed...
  38. J

help connecting chromebook usb to serial on teensy 4

my personal chromebook has a linux option that has to be enabled in settings. You can use python in the linux partittion. Files can be shared between the usual chromebook stuff and the linux partition. Not sure if all chromebooks would work this way and I know if I use the one that comes from...
  39. J

While I do put an dragon uncanny eye display on a 23" monitor (with a raspberry pi driving it) in the window at Halloween, a 4 inch display is enough bigger than a realistic eye that it loses appeal.
  40. J

Teensy 4.1 is slower than Arduino every with neopixel !?! Please help

What happens if you changefor(uint16_t i=0; i<strip.numPixels(); i++) { to for(int i=0; i<800; i++) { You may be doing some extra 16/32 bit conversions ?
  41. J

Joining ws2812b strips

The WS2812 strips I have used were all 3 conductor rather than 4. Never very large arrays, so I did not have to worry about extra power part way down the chain. I tinned the connector on each side and then soldered short wires between them. I was bending at the connections, making infinity...
  42. J

Trying to understand why my code takes up so much RAM1

Is the issue that you put YOUR code in FLASHMEM so that it is not copied to FastRun but the libraries still get copied to FastRun?
  43. J

I have unsuccessfully tried various things since my last post here. I converted audio files to mono (.mp3), since I have just one speaker. That reduced file size by 1/2 and let me simplify the chain for audio--eliminate mixers. Not much improvement. I increased the disk read buffer in Frank B's...
  44. J

advice about touchsensor setup

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/70822-Capacitive-Touch-with-Teensy-4-x?p=310542#post310542
  45. J

yield() as Chris suggested was a big improvement but sound was still a little stuttery. I added another fastTouch pin in loop() so I can freeze the eyes and assess the changes in sound A:B a a little more easily. I tried putting a counter into renderEye() so that I could call yield several times...
  46. J

I found this last night but have not used it. https://github.com/FrankBoesing/Arduino-Teensy-Codec-lib/blob/master/examples/Mp3FilePlayerLFS/Mp3FilePlayerLFS.ino Using the flash memory means having about 3 orders of magnitude less memory for sounds i.e. 1000x.
  47. J

I was slow to realize that the T4.1 PSRAM gets used automagically by the compiler. It is clear that Michael and Chris both understood that. What I realized overnight is that probably I need to specify what goes in EXTMEM intelligently. I started by putting 4 of the largest eye definition files...
  48. J

QUOTE=jrraines;318033]That has been my suspicion overnight. I will try your insightful suggestion about where the yield() will do the most good first (Thanks!) and if that doesn't make much difference I will try turning async off. with yield() where you suggested it was still very stuttery...
  49. J

That has been my suspicion overnight. I will try your insightful suggestion about where the yield() will do the most good first (Thanks!) and if that doesn't make much difference I will try turning async off. I had copied my audio configuration from another program and may simplify that...
Back