Search results

1. C

Uncanny Eyes is getting expensive

I wanted a nice compact housing for my GC9A01 screens and couldn't find anything suitable, so I recently had a go at designing a 3D printable housing myself, which I then had printed via an online 3D printing service. It's the first time I've done this and the results were a lot better than I...
  2. C

Glad you like the eyes! I'm hoping to have a bit of time now to tweak/improve/add some more eyes, and maybe even work on the rest of the codebase a bit further. Thanks for pointing this out, I hadn't seen it at my end (I'm using GCC 11.3.1). Hmm, I understand it's highlighting an ABI...
  3. C

I've finally managed to spend a little more time on https://github.com/chrismiller/TeensyEyes and have added four new eyes today (they might be useful for Halloween!) using iris textures I found here. I also tweaked a few of the existing eyes to fix some things that were bugging me. Enjoy!
  4. C

Heh, so about 10 minutes after my previous post I went and checked the mail, and my Person Sensors have arrived! :cool:
  5. C

Great, if you do I'm of course interested to hear how it goes. My sensors were posted about two weeks ago but the tracking number is not working and I'm expecting them to get held up in customs for tax payments anyway so I suspect I still have a bit of a wait for mine :( I've just checked in...
  6. C

NEW: GC9A01A Display driver for Teensy 3.x and Teensy 4.x

I've followed up here so this thread doesn't get too far off topic.
  7. C

(Moved conversation from this thread) Hmm, that's interesting, and somewhat surprising, as I was expecting it to be the other way around. The eyes without lids take longer to render than the eyes with lids. Generally the eyes without lids take longer to render a (single display) frame than it...
  8. C

I just checked my SparkFun order and rather annoyingly it is set in an "exception" state, I guess due to a change I made to it after I placed it, which I understood would resolve automatically but doesn't seem to have. That means my order hasn't even shipped yet, so it won't be until sometime in...
  9. C

Ahh, thank you! I hadn't spotted the begin() parameters. Bumping spi_clock up to 48,000,000 increased the framerate to around 30+ FPS per screen. 60,000,000 hits as high as 40+ FPS, 90,000,000 even touches on 50 FPS sometimes, though it's extremely variable as the code becomes far more CPU bound...
  10. C

Thanks @mjs513 and @KurtE for this great library. I've been using it to good effect with my updated version of the Uncanny Eyes codebase(s). I've recently started taking a look to see if I can improve the rendering speed though and it turns out updateScreenAsync() consistently takes a fraction...
  11. C

Thanks for all the additional feedback and your code changes. I'll incorporate what makes sense to do so and keep working towards making things easier to use and customise. You'll be pleased to hear I just ordered a couple of ST7789 displays from AliExpress, as well as a single 128x128 one...
  12. C

Thanks for taking a look at this, and for the detailed notes on the various issues you hit on the way! I've never used the standard Arduino .ino approach, so I wasn't even aware that it needs everything in a single directory. Hmm, I'll have a look at other libraries and see how they handle...
  13. C

Thanks! I've only just seen this so haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but will do so before I spend any time refactoring into a library/API. I've made a bit more progress on my side, including fixing a bunch of bugs and adding support for some more of the M4_Eyes features, along with some...
  14. C

Yes it does. I haven't added that yet but would be easy to do so. I'm currently somewhat more inclined though to get things to a point where the eyes are just a library people call from their own setup and loop functions instead, since that gives the user a lot more control and options than a...
  15. C

Not yet, I haven't looked at performance much at all yet as I'm still working on implementing/testing the basic functionality. At some point I'll look at how much CPU is lost to that spinning and figure out how best to improve it. Most likely just letting any other user code run as normal but...
  16. C

I got rid of that craziness in my codebase, so loop() now always just renders a single frame. That still might not be fast enough for time-sensitive work to happen since rendering a frame takes around 20ms, but it does make everything a lot more predictable and easier to reason about. Thanks...
  17. C

These are IPS panels, the same tech as most PC/laptop monitors, so if she can tolerate using a computer screen she should be fine with these too. To my understanding, migraines and epilepsy are triggered not by refresh rates but by strobing/flickering at particular frequencies. Florescent lights...
  18. C

Hmm I don't know much about it but I'm not sure how triggering epilepsy would be possible without some sort of rapid strobing effect? Generally speaking, the higher the frame rate the better. Most PC monitors refresh at 60Hz or more, anything much less than that and any animation/movement starts...
  19. C

I've been continuing to hack away at the Uncanny/M4 Eyes code and thought I'd post a bit of an update on where I'm at: I've managed to merge in a lot of the M4 codebase, as well as make other improvements, so now my Teensy code supports the following: Support for config.eye configuration...
  20. C

Beware cheap breadboard power supplies, incinerated my Teensy 4.0!

Aren't there a couple of gotchas with using ATX PSUs like this though? For example, I think I read somewhere that most ATX supplies require a certain load on the 5V outputs before you can use the 12V ones? And using PWM when e.g. powering LED strips might cause problems for the power supply's...
  21. C

That eye is just the built in "newt" eye from Uncanny Eyes, which I believe originated here. But yes, that eye definitely has something of a Halloween feel to it. One thing I'm planning on trying out at some point is cross-fading between two eyes as I think that might look pretty interesting (or...
  22. C

It's still very much a work-in-progress, but I've got a proof-of-concept working that demonstrates hot-swapping eyes at runtime: There's still lots I need to do before this is genuinely useable, though that's mostly to do with configuring and precomputing eyes with all their different...
  23. C

It's not so much the storage loading time I think will need improving, it's the various transformations required. E.g. look at the comment on the bottom of this page: "Note that using slitPupilRadius makes the program a bit slower to initialize… you’ll just see blank screens for several seconds...
  24. C

The M4 code draws one column of pixels at a time, rather than row by row, so their logic ends up somewhat convoluted. I just implemented a similar optimisation however. I keep track of where the upper/lower eyelids extend to for each column, and only call drawPixel() if the pixel wasn't already...
  25. C

It sounds like the performance I'm seeing is similar to yours then, thanks for clarifying. That's kinda how I ended up where I am - I started by trying to convert the existing 128x128 eyes to 240x240. Some were easy (doe, newt, terminator) but the others were proving quite tricky. Then I saw...
  26. C

Does this mean 42 fps per screen, or 42 fps in total, 21 fps on each screen? I'm seeing around 46 fps across my two GC9A010A screens here, i.e. ~23 fps per screen. I've started thinking about a few optimisations, currently not for speed but for space (but I hope to look at speed at some point)...
  27. C

The screens I ordered arrived yesterday and they worked first go using the default set of pins in the uncanny eyes code. Very cool!
  28. C

Oh wow, this looks like a fun project, thanks for bringing it to my attention. I might order a couple of these and see how it goes. I don't suppose anyone's tried adding a camera and face detection via e.g. OpenCV so the eyes can follow people's faces? Imagine a costume/mask with couple of these...
  29. C

Help me choose the right Batteries 🔋

Where did you get the 300mAh figure from? Their datasheet rates them at over 3000mAh which is in line with my experience of them. Do take notice though of the chart on the datasheet showing their drop in capacity at extremely low temperates. Also note that 4 of them will only give you 12,000mAh...
  30. C

Help me choose the right Batteries 🔋

I've had a good experience with Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries in temperatures down to -30C / -22F before (on Lake Baikal), maybe they could be worth a look.
  31. C

exit status -1073741819 Error compiling for board Teensy 4.0.

I've seen similar problems in the past (intermittently, once every few months, where I'd get a seemingly random large numbered exit code) when compiling with CLion + PlatformIO and never quite figured out what causes it, possibly Windows Defender or other processes interfering with file access...
  32. C

ws2811 library individual leds address question

Each square is really just the same thing as a 256 long LED strip laid out in a zig-zag pattern, as you can see from their diagram. The OctoWS2811 library doesn't care about the layout of your LEDs, it just provides a way to very quickly read and write the LEDs via an underlying buffer, where...
  33. C

ws2811 library individual leds address question

The order doesn't matter with the WS2811 protocol. Each LED effectively works by "taking one signal and passing the rest on", so what you are planning to do will work no problem. Yes, you will have to reconnect all the LEDs serially from start to finish. The exact order doesn't matter other than...
  34. C

Teensy 4.1 distributor availability

I have the same question but for Teensy 4.0 in the UK, which I can't seem to find in stock anywhere currently.
  35. C

Octows2811 adapter - unused pins are floating?

I see, thanks for the clear and detailed explanation Paul, that's really helpful. > eg, with the OctoWS2811 library Teensy 4 pinlist feature Funnily enough that is exactly what led me to this. I've been playing around with this code and also considering making my own circuit with two 74HCT245...
  36. C

Octows2811 adapter - unused pins are floating?

I've been looking at the OcotWS2811 schematic and OctoWS2811::begin(void) code in OctoWS2811_imxrt.cpp, and there is something that is puzzling me. As far as I can tell from the 74HCT245 data sheet (section 11.2 on page 12), any unused inputs and outputs on the 74HCT245 should be terminated to...
  37. C

High frequency pitch detection

There's a thread here that you might find helpful: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/38988-Bat-detector
  38. C

Teensy 4.1 on Platform IO..can't find wire.h

I use PlatformIO in conjunction with CLion and am really happy with the combination. I too had trouble initially with library dependencies, mostly because I was installing libraries via the PlatformIO Home web interface, and then getting into a bit of a mess when using different libraries and...
  39. C

Teensy Wifi?

Depending on your requirements you might want to consider nrf24l01 modules too.
  40. C

Problem with OctoWS2811 Library and PlatformIO

Note that you can include libraries directly from GitHub as follows: [env] platform = https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy.git board = teensy40 lib-deps = https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/OctoWS2811
  41. C

Teensy 4.0, OctoWS2811 adapter and FastLED problems

Thanks bamos, I hadn't seen that thread and there's some interesting info in there. I was aware I could try to change the physical pins as a workaround but I've been trying to avoid any hardware changes. I'm happy now that I have a software solution, and in some ways it's more flexible than what...
  42. C

If anyone else is in a similar situation, hopefully it's helpful to know that I've managed to get things working by doing the following: Replacing the Audio library with the ADC library (pedvide/Teensy_ADC) Setting up two DMA buffers that are populated from the microphone (via ADC) at 44.1kHz...
  43. C

Understood, and my sympathies go out to you for the challenges the pandemic has thrown your way. Given I'm not using the audio shield (I just need FFT on a MAX9814 microphone) I think my best option is to find another FFT library that I can use instead of this one. It'll likely mean having to...
  44. C

Thank you h4yn0nnym0u5e for taking the time to look at this in depth, and thank you PaulStoffregen for providing a clear explanation for what I'm seeing. I apologise for not having spotted the "really obvious". I'm just a hobbyist trying to figure this all out as best I can, and clearly I made a...
  45. C

Sorry to bump this but I don't yet have a solution and am running out of ideas. I've tried simplifying my code right down and the problem still persists: #define USE_OCTOWS2811 #include<OctoWS2811.h> #include "Arduino.h" #define FASTLED_INTERNAL #include <FastLED.h> #include <Audio.h> //...
  46. C

I have a project that is using (among other things) a Teensy 3.2, OctoWS2811 adapter and FastLED, with 8 channels of WS2812B strips. Each strip is between 72 and 86 LEDs long, 630 LEDs in total. All this is working fine. I want to swap out the Teensy 3.2 for a Teensy 4.0, keeping the rest of...
  47. C

FFT on Teesy 4?

It is now 20 months later - is all the above still the case? It seems to be, as I can't get an FFT audio signal without AudioOutputI2S, and even then what signal I do get seems to be miniscule compared to the same code running on a Teensy 3.2. What can I do to get comparable behaviour to the...
  48. C

Teensy 3.2 with OctoWS2811, can I swap out the Teensy 3.2 for Teensy 4.0?

Thanks Paul. I'm using CLion with PlatformIO, so updated my platformio.ini config as follows: board = teensy40 lib_deps = https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/FastLED https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/OctoWS2811 My project didn't quite build successfully with that change. For some reason the...
  49. C

Teensy 3.2 with OctoWS2811, can I swap out the Teensy 3.2 for Teensy 4.0?

I have a project that's about 15k lines of code, using a Teensy 3.2 and OctoWS2811 board to control around 700 LEDs. My code is using FastLED 3.4.0 and OctoWS2811 1.4.0 to drive the LEDs. I also have various other modules/components connected, as follows: Bluetooth module (Rx pin 0, Tx pin 1)...
  50. C

Teensy 3.2 & Octows2811 - rotary encoder causes first LED in each channel to flicker

Yep that was the problem, it's working perfectly now on pin 33 :) Sorry for the noise, hopefully this at least helps anyone else down the line who hits the same issue.
Back