Search results

1. StefanPetrick

The pursuit of enhancing LED animations

More layers, more Perlin Noise, more complexity, more beauty (hopefully).
  2. StefanPetrick

Short update: Improved visual quality and overall look and feel. The little bar graph under the Shuffle button indicates the progress of the transition between parameter sets. Now, a Full Auto mode is present, too, meaning to periodically trigger a reshuffling of all parameters. I’m coming...
  3. StefanPetrick

I intended to develop a user interface for controlling AnimARTix parameters. However, I got a bit carried away and ended up creating a simulator instead. This simulator allowed me to delve into the concept of transitioning between different parameter sets. Initially, I constrained the parameter...
  4. StefanPetrick

Hi everyone! I made the repository public today. Consider it an early beta version. Everything I showed here you can find somewhere in the animation collection. This is the SmartMatrix version. Tested on 32x32. This is the FastLED version. Tested on 16x16. I do not recommend to run the demo...
  5. StefanPetrick

Teensy 4.1 is slower than Arduino every with neopixel !?! Please help

Related to this topic it's maybe also worth to point out that the actual sending of the LED data can be more or less blocking depending on the library used and depending on the pins used. The difference between hardware SPI and software bit-banging is even within the FastLED community not...
  6. StefanPetrick

Teensy 4.1 is slower than Arduino every with neopixel !?! Please help

I addition to what Paul said: The animation speed (speed of transitions) must be independent from the actual update rate of the LEDs (fps). This is achieved by all control parameters being derivatives of the elapsed time since startup. Meaning they are all calculated based on millis(). This...
  7. StefanPetrick

Another short update. Now I'm starting to build more complex animations. Here my approach of a water "simulation". And a hypnotic mandala animation - give it a minute or two to catch you. :cool:
  8. StefanPetrick

The results of cartesian domain warping never fail to amaze me. In a polar coordinate system it produces even more interesting shapes and movements. I shift the polar angle of every pixel based on dynamic Perlin noise data which causes this lovely unique look. The polar distance is untouched in...
  9. StefanPetrick

Driving APA102 LEDs using FlexIO DMA?

Apparently I was too frustrated and I didn't read the intro carefully. The very first link is this one https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/63353-Teensy-4-1-How-to-start-using-DMA?p=266991&viewfull=1#post266991 which is exactely the "let's start from scratch" write up I was looking for. :o Thanks to...
  10. StefanPetrick

Thank you for this reply, easone! I was not even aware that SmartMatrix can drive APA102s as well, I was fully focussed on HUB75. This is good news because I'm familiar with using SmartMatrix already and I love the performance it provides. Good to know that I'm on the right path. So maybe for...
  11. StefanPetrick

Hi Mark, I appreciate your kind reply! Here is what I know for sure: FastLED performs either bitbanging or harware SPI transfer, when the LEDs are connected to the harware SPI pins. Also I know that there is a difference - depending on which pins are used - what speed is possible and how...
  12. StefanPetrick

I'm slightly irritated by the silence. Are my questions too esoteric (nobody has an answer) or too plain stupid (nobody wants to engage, because my assumptions are beyond wrong)? I'd appreciate any advice to any of the topics I touched, I'm really stuck.
  13. StefanPetrick

Teensy 4: I noticed that at 800 fps on 256 LEDs (driven at 12 MHz with FastLED) I spend up to 20% of the time waiting for FastLED.show() to finish. This surprised me. Not sure if this is the expected behaviour considering that FastLED uses hardware SPI if possible. I used pin 11+13. I would...
  14. StefanPetrick

an experience trying to buy a Teensy 4.1 from Mouser

edit: Can't delete this post for unknown reason.
  15. StefanPetrick

UK is not EU. Shippings often get stuck in customs, take forever (weeks) to get processed and you get blackmailed to pay some intransparent additional import tax & investigation+clearance fee. Also sometimes you have to pick it up in a customs office in another city within 3 days after they...
  16. StefanPetrick

2 weeks ago I ordered a Teensy 4 from Germany - delivered 3 days later to Czechia - and I payed 33.25 € including shipping and tax. The vendor was Sertronics GmbH / BerryBase, can recommend.
  17. StefanPetrick

Just a short uptdate: I currently work on the SmartMatrix version of AnimARTrix. Here you see a 12 layer animation, blended together using temporal dithering, running at 240 fps on 1024 LEDs. Please ignore the interference stripes, only the camera sees it. Even at 600 MHz the Teensy 4.0 gets...
  18. StefanPetrick

Can a Teensy 4 drive a HUB75 LED panel directly?

I wonder because the latest SmartMatrix shield seems to use a level shifter. The older ones (v1.0 for sure) did not but worked fine with a Teensy 3.1. Is anyone here driving such a panel without the shield from Pixelmatix? If so I'd appreciate a hint regarding the wiring.
  19. StefanPetrick

A fellow LED enthusiast just finished his 48x 16x16 LED panel. I try to talk him into using a Teensy 4 but so far he sticks to an ESP32. I'm confident with a T4 my code would run fluently. Here is his short build video:
  20. StefanPetrick

I'm looking for a performant Perlin or Open Simplex Noise implementation

I'm happy to report that I found the FastNoiseLite library. It contains differnet noise generation algorithms, one of them is slightly faster than what I used before. It can be widely configured and offers flexibility regarding the appearence of the noise. Short benchmark (Teensy 3.6, 256...
  21. StefanPetrick

What's the fastest way to have a Teensy 4 speak to multiple Teensy 4s?

Thank you Paul, this sounds like the perfect solution!
  22. StefanPetrick

What's the fastest way to have a Teensy 4 speak to multiple Teensy 4s?

Hi everybody! I looks like my little LED animation projects turns out to become a full blown modular animation synthesizer. For consumer size setups with 1k LEDs one Teensy 4 will be more than enough for +-10 animation layers and complex animations. But I have also have some people reaching...
  23. StefanPetrick

Everything I show runs on 16x16 APA102 LEDs with only 8 bit color depth per color. I never got such smooth (dithered) results ever before. Precise calculations translate directly to image quality and temporal coherence of an animation. I'm happy and grateful that a Teensy allows me to do such...
  24. StefanPetrick

Just to report some progress, I improved the code (using structs and functions now), found some % performance improvenment and now I'm exploring what this Renderer (Shader? Technically it's a 5d coordinate mapper) is capable of. Here some short impressions of the organic movements I get out of...
  25. StefanPetrick

@Richard: What kind of LEDs or interface do you use? Would be cool so see this running in large. Have you seen this one? Code here if you'd like to hypnotize yourself. :-)
  26. StefanPetrick

Yes, I'm familiar with this one. It's not really fast (and uses 64 bit which doesn't help the performance compared to 32 bit floats). I benchmarked a bunch of different implementations and still the fastest I'm aware of is this one (Thanks to forum user GremlinWrangler for bringing it to my...
  27. StefanPetrick

Thanks for your time, Michael. Float.h is not essenential, I temporaty used it do use predifened numers, like FLT_MAX. I assumed that it comes with Arduino / Teensyduino, at least I never installed it but have it anyway. inoise16 is a 3d Simplex noise implementation that comes with FastLED. I...
  28. StefanPetrick

This is the same algorithm outputing RGBs to Processing which draws colored rectangles based on the data the renderer provides. ...and here on low res 16x16 again...
  29. StefanPetrick

My code is entirely independent from FastLED, it could easiely run on any other LED protocol or library, also on a LCD- or OLED interface... All I need is a place to write the next frame into. Even the colordepth could be adjusted easiely, I convert 32 bit float values down to 0-255 brightness...
  30. StefanPetrick

Specifically I'm after functions optimized for using the FPU of a Teensy 3.6 or 4.x In case anyone did this already I'd appreciae a link or hint. A one to four dimensional full float implementation would be perfect. Thanks for any advice or code!
  31. StefanPetrick

Hello Richard, Teensy 4 + 64x64 sounds great! If you have some free minutes it would be a great support if you could run this code on your SmartMatrix. I assume line 14, 15 and 71 need to be changed, maybe 44 & 291 as well. If you get it up & running I'd like to know the the pixel/s and fps...
  32. StefanPetrick

LED matrix animations & FPU procedural 2d art

Animation precision & outstanding visual quality has been my prioritiy and I am happy to report that I met this goals. In the video I discuss & show basic polar & cartesian manipulations and how chaining some simple equations together can already produce interesting looking procedural...
  33. StefanPetrick

I'm currently working on a versatile realtime rendering thing which is meant to generate procedural animations based on very few parameters. Stuff like spiral, caleidoscope, tunnel, lens, twist, rotation and so on, all based on multi layer procedural Perlin noise. Basically polar math + noise...
  34. StefanPetrick

FastLED hardware SPI pins at Teensy 3.6?

Stupid me tried anything but this. Thank you! More computing time for more fps available now. :)
  35. StefanPetrick

LED animation rendering: framerate drops over time significantly - what causes this?

Just a short video showing the current state. I reconsidered what is really required to calculate for each single pixel and what can be done just once per frame. Also fixed the collapsing framerate - sinf and cosf become really slow when fed with ever increasing angles. Btw, behind the paper...
  36. StefanPetrick

FastLED hardware SPI pins at Teensy 3.6?

Hello, on the Teensy 3.2 the data transfer works really fast (12/24 Mhz and non-blocking(?!)) when using the SPI pins 11 and 13. LEDS.addLeds<APA102, 11, 13, BGR, DATA_RATE_MHZ(12)>(leds, NUM_LEDS); Which pins should I use on the Teensy 3.6? It seems to always default to bit-banging? (Idle...
  37. StefanPetrick

LED animation rendering: framerate drops over time significantly - what causes this?

Found the problem, solved. FPS in the stable 400s now. Good. Will explain the solution and final result when it's done.
  38. StefanPetrick

Frames per second over time I posted a video of the animation here on Reddit.
  39. StefanPetrick

Hi, I'm rewriting my Processing simulation code for Arduino + FastLED. The animation runs fine and looks as expected - but is way slower than I'd expect on a small 16x16 matrix. I guess I made a silly mistake and I#m too blind to see it. My guess was: Is it possible, that sinf() gets really...
  40. StefanPetrick

Procedural LED animation tutorials - Referral link to Teensy 4 distributors?

Oh, question answered, thank you very much! I never noticed this side bar. I wrote to Adafruit, Sparkfun & Watterott, let's see what happens.
  41. StefanPetrick

FunkyNoise animation playground

Not noise related, but in case any of you guys has a Teensy 3.6 or higher + a LED matrix around, you might enjoy playing with this and this. Code & parameter sets are in the comments under the post.
  42. StefanPetrick

Procedural LED animation tutorials - Referral link to Teensy 4 distributors?

Hi, I'm working on some Youtube videos explaining how I create realtime rendered procedural animations like this: This might or might not lead to a bunch of new people wanting to buy a Teensy 4. I will definetly recommend it because of it's outstanding computing power! My question is if any...
  43. StefanPetrick

Teensy based Galvano-Laser-System?

Hello everyone! I´m dreaming about a Galvano-Laser to engrave wooden surfaces. Minimal moving masses allow high speed movements compared to 3 axis portal constructions. The idea is to start with a cheap disco-light galvanometer unit like this one. It shouldn´t be hard to have a Teensy...
  44. StefanPetrick

Fire (effect) on an APA102 matrix.

Hi Frank, I like the smooth a appearence of your animation. Your code seems to be a variation of the method described here, just with more neighbor pixels for the filtering. I improved my one a little by adding another filter mask and changing the colormapping. Not sure if that makes it more...
  45. StefanPetrick

Fire (effect) on an APA102 matrix.

Hi, I tryed to code a fire effect for a 16x16 matrix. This was the first result: The wind appeared too strong, so I adjusted the parameters a bit. Result: In case you want to play with it, here is the code. There are many parameters to be discovered. Comments can be found in the code...
  46. StefanPetrick

Teensy 3.6 - Looking for a complete list of all FPU accelerated math functions

Is it right that the CMSIS DSP Software Library has nothing to do with the FPU hardware but with the DSP hardware? Which way to perform calculations is faster? The question was triggered by this thread. I´m completely confused now.
  47. StefanPetrick

I found this. Has this anything to do with the library the Teensy 3.6 uses? double cos (double __x) double sin (double __x) double tan (double __x) double fabs (double __x) double fmod (double __x, double __y) double modf (double __x, double *__iptr) float modff (float __x...
  48. StefanPetrick

Hello, where can I find a complete list or file showing all the float math functions which can be performed by the FPU? So far I came across and floorf. I guess there is more the FPU can do. Any hint is welcome. Thanks.
  49. StefanPetrick

how warm the teensy 3.6 gets

The sensor is a nice feature. I´m aware that 103 °F is fine. Just wondering if in case of heavier calculation load the MCU could suffer in case it gets really hot and I don´t notice it immediately.
Back