Search results

1. crees

E1.31 sACN Ethernet DMX Performance help - 6 Universe Limit improvements?

this github should get you to the info on the latest onesocket library. https://github.com/mrrees/MegaPixelController
  2. crees

Soldering components with small SMD pads when you are all thumbs?

Toaster over with solder mask applied boards. I use a timer to simulate ramp up temperatures etc but also put solder paste on the chips and Board(s) to verify reflow. A good solder paste jig and some hole alignments really help making it less likely that you will need to fix any solder bridges...
  3. crees

yes and no. Do to reasons I had to take down my pcb board and DIY kits, however the github code and forum posts and occasional help is still there. If your good with combining wiznet schematics to teensy and the octows2811 your pretty much the same level as where I left the project.
  4. crees

Hi! Ok looks like your getting buffer info! thats good! Looking at your setup the way we need to think of this is budgeting the correct pixel per port settings. since you are using 300 pixels we need to use the correct universe budget. To make sure the buffers are setup correctly we need to...
  5. crees

Dynamically create OctoWS2811 object within in a class's constructor

Exactly! https://github.com/DirectOutput/TeensyStripController/blob/master/TeensyStripController.ino I found this gem and use the same method to change my length from a web based config. Once they put in the pixels per strip settings etc the command is sent to the teensy that immediately...
  6. crees

New member questions

I use tycommander to detect my teensy boards. It has the ability to detect the teensy serial number regardless of what port it’s in. tycommander can output json format of board details so you can easily adapt to your coding preference on the pc.
  7. crees

New member questions

I think your on track Instead of a mouse driver consider the keyboard driver https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25368-How-do-I-receive-a-numlock-capslock-LED-signal-from-the-PC This way you can emulate keystrokes to the pc to wake up from sleep mode. Also you can detect the CAPs, numlock...
  8. crees

Web App to interact with a USB-Connected Teensy

how comfortable are you with php or server side scripting? I use it to communicate with my teensy via tycommander and serial commands. I use the json output from tycommander to detect multiple teensy boards. I can push firmware from the web console as well using tytools.
  9. crees

Teensy 3.2 + OctoWS2811 (7200 Pixels) Strip animating ideas

You bring up some possible issues. SPI wires should be even and short as possible but PCB is the best. However make sure your power is also good. I have seen issues with the power supply powering pixels and the teensy powered by another source cause issues. You will need to make sure grounds...
  10. crees

Great news! Yes please share videos!
  11. crees

Delete your 8 controllers and create Only two. One with 1-32 universes and the other with 33-64 universes with 510 channels per universe. Or keep it simple and just define the one controller / teensy. The controller code will divide them up as 4 uni per port (assuming you have that defined in...
  12. crees

Also in xlights there is a great test tool that will cycle each channel/color
  13. crees

The channels can be confusing, make sure you set your Chanels to 510 (3 channels for RGB makes 170 pixels per universe). Off topic . If you use RGBW pixels it’s 512 channels to get you 128 pixels. To see if wiz is initializing fine make sure you can ping it. Also If you serial print the...
  14. crees

Teensy 4.0 Leading option for Smart LEDs with I2SWS2811??

Yes! another teensy veteran “ward” was able to manipulate the flex IO with pretty awesome results! Basically a similar approach using shift registers. https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/59023-TriantaduoWS2811-a-32-channel-WS*-library-for-Teensy-4-0-using-FlexIO-and-DMA One interesting thing to...
  15. crees

Ok run your setup as 32 universes per teensy with 680 pixels per strip. The second teensy will have unused ports but still configure it as a full 32 universe 5440 pixel config and only map the strips you have in software. Keep in mind with this setup (32 uni) each port is 680 pixels or 4...
  16. crees

Yes this will get you up and running fasT. How many pixels per strip are you running including any zigzag?
  17. crees

Also in order to make it work with 5440 leds you need to make sure you replace the existing Ethernet library under the teensy avr directory with the one socket. Also take a look at this code to get 5440 universes running in SACN e1.31 https://github.com/mrrees/MegaPixelController With some...
  18. crees

Can you also check the chip on the wiz and confirm the chip type?
  19. crees

Just to clarify are you using a teensy 3.0 or 3.2? If not 3.2 we need to have a 3.3v regulator for the wiz since the 3.0/3.1 does not have a powerful enough 3.3v supply.
  20. crees

Teensy 3.2 pins should be the same as 3.0, SS is also CS
  21. crees

Vixen is good. I have used xlights too with success
  22. crees

My custom boards use the w5500. I have a modified version of one socket that works with the w5500. https://www.dropbox.com/s/id55krom4zgcsc9/MegaPixel-One-Socket-Ethernet-masterV2_W5500.zip?dl=0 This is the module that works...
  23. crees

Two teensy 3.2 will handle this task fine. I recently ran a project with 7680 RGBW pixels over 2 teensy based controllers. What you need to find is the best way to get data to them. I personally use artnet or sACN with the wiznet w5200/w5500. On libraries I use octows2811 with a one socket...
  24. crees

Schematic Capture and PCB Design

Another vote for kicad.
  25. crees

A crazy idea for Teensy firmware updating

With influx of very inexpensive Linux based boards it should give some here the ability to manage the firmware via web engine and USB port to the teensy . Tapping into a power control method and program button also allows reboot and firmware recovery possible. At a service level for me its...
  26. crees

A crazy idea for Teensy firmware updating

I have accomplished a great OTA with my teensy based project . I needed a way to manage several t3.2 boards. Each t3.2 has a custom PCB edge connector that sockets into a pcb 20 pin connector(usb, power, program, led status etc) . To accomplish OTA I designed a custom usb 2.0 backplane that...
  27. crees

[queued] TriantaduoWS2811, a 32-channel WS* library for Teensy 4.0 using FlexIO & DMA

Ward awesome job! I commented on your facebook share as well.
  28. crees

Teensy 3.5 and WIZ850 Multicast

The Udp.beginMulticast() Initializes the wiz chips built in multicast capabilities. This is essential since it is what handles IGMP for you. Just remember that once you place this on a managed switched network that you will need to make sure your network is configured for multicast (igmp...
  29. crees

Teensy 3.5 and WIZ850 Multicast

Need more info . Code examples are helpful. What Ethernet library are you using because Older ones did not support multicast. Fire up wireshark and see if you get any igmp registrations coming from your wiz. If using a managed switch that is strictly following multicast flow will require a...
  30. crees

Serial Issues with Neopixel

I currently use the DMA driven octows2811 and attempted to invert the IO logic but from the scope I did not get output timing to work yet. I put it on the back burner for now but may revisit it later. What I am very interested in is the 12c that yves bazin has been able to accomplish in...
  31. crees

I worked on this chip once. Double check but the tm1814 logic is not the same as a neopixel. It’s almost opposite. The only way you can get this strip to work is to bitbang your own code or modify an existing library. Edit Interestingly I found your post on Arduino and that you got it to...
  32. crees

Hi the TM1814 is an awkward chip. I am curious are you getting anything close to what your expecting like colors and intensities? Are you getting random color and flicker?
  33. crees

Use of Teensy in medical/IVDR devices

Edward has a good point and becomes even more broad in different countries. The only issue I see is if your regulatory authority has any PCB / component / quality requirements then it may be difficult to qualify the teensy in itself since its not certified for this kind of application...
  34. crees

Use of Teensy in medical/IVDR devices

From what I understand Medical certification like automotive certification requires a rigorous certification requiring that every component design and safety passes each of the stringent tests. We are In the process of UL and have seen some of these requirements. Every component /...
  35. crees

Teensy 4.0 Leading option for Smart LEDs with I2SWS2811??

Teensy 3.2 is where I started being serious with smart LEDS using the OCTOWS2811. This platform has been very rewarding and for me has advanced to a nice solution providing up to 43,520 Pixels of control creatively combining multiple chips in one ecosystem! With Teensy 4.0 at my doorstep I...
  36. crees

Having a weird issue with two LEDs and some light sensors on a Teensy LC

If code suggestions don’t fix, I am guessing that the led draw is too much for the teensy to sink/source properly. I recall that pinball leds with built in resistors is to prevent lighting when the circuit leaks out a low voltage that incandescent bulbs don’t show but the LEDs do (hence the...
  37. crees

teensy octows8211 cat6 wiring how?

Yes! I am afraid I ended up somewhere in the deep end.
  38. crees

Its going to be one of those your mileage will vary. One thing that happens in long runs is the signal logic not only can get noise in the line but also suffer from voltage drop. That voltage drop can can make it difficult for the pixels to discern the NRZ logic. The typical result is pixels...
  39. crees

Custom Teensy 3.6 Problems

TOMv Can you take a clear picture of the board with all the pins of the K66?
  40. crees

All good Brad. The octo board is good to get your feet wet and quickly connect to pixels using common easily accessible materials like the cat5/6 cables etc. Its not really intended for long runs etc. I have tried it and got 90 feet indoors. Then I moved it out doors and had challenges...
  41. crees

I tend to dance around peoples answers. I will break my response down directly Yes on daisy chain. Keep in mind there are limitations! The limitations are Frames perscond / how many pixels are in that string. The other limitation is teensy available memory etc. Correct. you will need to...
  42. crees

My last Christmas light show I used 6 custom Teensy controllers with a custom breakout boards all ran from xlights/LOR. My farthest pixel was about 15 feet. most were within that range. crees
  43. crees

What you have will get you started in playing with pixels and code. To make a Christmas light show will take some more engineering and parts. Distances will vary but I have gone up to 90ft inside testing but was unable to make it work outside due to the environment / noise. Pixels want a...
  44. crees

Updates onsite

Get a large usb hub and run tycommander to manage and deploy to many teensies. I developed a custom usb backplane to manage and Maintain firmware to my t3.2 boards.
  45. crees

[posted] MegaPixel Controller and Receiver by CCR

Hi please take a look at this project. Uses Teensy and will work with jinx. https://ackalyte.com/products/basetee
  46. crees

Teensy Radio Mesh - Best way to flash multiple boards?

Perhaps tycommander could offer some of the functionality your looking for.
  47. crees

Help creating a custom PCB based on Teensy LC

Generally you don’t want to omit caps feeding the MCU. They are essential in filtering out unwanted frequency and ripple disturbances etc. Omitting them may contribute to the teensy acting erratically. You also have more caps coming off the mcu 3.3v output that also cleans up that power rail...
  48. crees

Help creating a custom PCB based on Teensy LC

I could possibly help if you don’t find someone. I have made several custom boards with the teensy bootloader and chip. I’m in the the middle of a project at the moment but later next month i should be more free to take on another project. PM if you haven’t found anyone
  49. crees

Custom LED screen on Half sphere

This is very doable and I have done it. The important question is, are your driving this via serial or by network protocol such as artnet or sACN. The octows2811 code will be common on both but the serial or Ethernet library will need to be decided. Look at my posts profile for Ethernet...
  50. crees

Teensy 3.2 not starting in very particular circumstances

Could also be a ground loop issue. I have seen similar issues in the rs485 stuff. On the rs485 project I am working on I ended up using a DC / DC power isolator and opto isolators to prevent potential ground loops. As I understand it if you interface different modules together and their power...
Back