Search results

1. G

New Programming Resource

Back when I tried ADA, it had little or no functions for visual output(one class assignment was to build a library of functions for VT220 terminals). This was supposedly to make it more platform independent... or something... There was built-in garbage commection and boundary checks. Even...
  2. G

New Programming Resource

Just because a language doesn't have a feature built in it doesn't mean that the programmers are forbidden from implementing it themselves. Those vulnerabilities are the result of sloppy coding.
  3. G

New Programming Resource

I haven't had time to read much. Too many things going on... But... As an avid C programmer, have you read the C Bible? http://ianchaiwriting.50megs.com/c-bible.html And about self-modifying code... https://www.cs.utah.edu/~elb/folklore/mel.html
  4. G

Teensy 4.0 as a slave

Color detection? And you also have a RasPi? Why do you absolutely insist on making your project more complicated than it needs to be? The Teensy 4.x is comparable to an RPi Zero in processing power, but without the wasted cycles of a large OS. And here are Real-time OSes available for...
  5. G

Teensy 4.1 based CNC machines.

I might consider upgrading good ole 2014f... (My First gen ShapeOKO. https://forum.shapeoko.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2025&start=140 pictures on pages 14 to 16 ) Does grblHAL handle 'untethered running'? (Not connected to a PC)
  6. G

New Programming Resource

Self-modifying code... When it 'calls' a subroutine, it also modifies the 'Return' instruction from it with the correct return point. It's something that's possible when you only have a few instructions, and a 32bit word. (It's a very RISC architecture) It's something you can get away...
  7. G

New Programming Resource

I'm NOT a C/C++ programmer. I've programmed in C++ once, and even have Watcom C++(v11 or something, lots of diskettes... ) somewhere. I never really got over the first hill,and really decided that I didn't want to be a full-time programmer after that. (I work as server admin, netowrk...
  8. G

New Programming Resource

I haven't seen your book, but... Some thing I've learned over the many, many years as a bumbling programmer is... In C++ unless it's a Boolean, it's probably a pointer, not an actual object. That doesn't stop anyone from using a pointer to a pointer to a boolean, though. It's pointers all...
  9. G

Official Distributors

You may want to check with a few of the resellers... Here in Norway, 'Gaze electronics' is just a facebook page with nothing happening. No sale as far as I can see. The UK: Payne Tech has a rather painful 404 page and have obviously a new focus, and no Teensy. RK Electronics doesn't have...
  10. G

Teensy 2.0?

The way I interpret the Teensy 2.0 page(the same info is not available on the page for the version with soldered pins) is that Paul is keeping it in production to support those who have existing designs based on it who for one reason or another can't readily transfer to a newer model. New...
  11. G

Teensy 2.0?

That table could use a row with approximate power usage...
  12. G

Teensy 4.0 Release

Soldering these pins yourself is EASY. Grab some pins, plug them into a breadboard you don't care too much about, drop Teensy on top, grab your iron and solder...
  13. G

Teensy 4.0 Release

I have no idea where to even start building the electronics, so this was more a 'here's an idea for any of you guys with more free time than me'. And without a board, there's not much reason to port Marlin or other Printer Firmware.
  14. G

Teensy 4.0 Release

I'm in the process of reviving an old 3D Deltaprinter(DreamMaker Overlord Pro, dfrobot still sells them), and because it had one or more bad stepper drivers(and they don't use stock Polulus) I'm replacing the electronics. Out goes the old Arduino Mega2560 clone board with 16x microstepping, in...
  15. G

Teensy 4.0 Release

Exactly how fast does a CPU need to be to run an interpreted language? And are we talking 'tokenized' or 'plain text' files? The 1984 Psion Organiser with a hitachi 6301 running at 0.9MHz was quite capable of running the precursor to OPL, and the 'compiler'(tokenizer) On the Organiser II...
  16. G

Teensy 4.0 Release

Explain to me again the meaning of this word 'need'... My ShapeOKO CNC router is controlled by an Arduino UNO running GRBL. That is 32KB of very, very tightly packed code. There's literally NO room left. It can do 30.000 steps/second and control 3 axis. With a Teensy, it would be possible...
  17. G

Anti-Spam efforts, May 2018

A common way to stop that kind of spam is to disable PMs and similar to users with less than a certain number of posts. (One of the reasons many spammers posts 'I love this' or other useless posts )
  18. G

New Scope

The Hantek is a good option if it can handle the speeds you work at. Me? I have an ancient HP Agilent 16702a, with 16533 card(500MHz sample rate 2Channel DSO) a 16522 100MHz state /500MHz timing module, and 2x 16550a cards(100MHz state/500MHz timing, connected so that I double the memory of...
  19. G

sm16703 led strips NEWBIE

Chinese ebayer? They often play loose with descriptions... But from what a quick overview of the datasheets tells me, they're pretty similar. http://www.greeled.net/uploadfile/03/60/6003/21141/05/09/sm16703-english-datasheet.pdf https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/WS2811.pdf...
  20. G

Teensy 3.6 "Pro" Feedback

An arduino I picked up on Kickstarter didn't have mounting holes for pins, just small notches along the edge for easy surface mount onto a larger board, or possibly to solder on thin wires. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/idlehandsdev/hcc-mod-ready-to-solder-arduino-module It shaves off...
  21. G

Anti-Spam efforts, May 2018

Consider editing the signup page to check the 'referrer link' to see which page it was called from. And renaming it to something else, and setting up a short script with the original filename that autobans anyone trying to run it... Those tricks should stop most robots. On some forums they...
  22. G

General questions about Teensy 3.6 from a newbie

Yes, the 2.8" LCDs are nice, and I even have one in my parts box, but I want to display a lot of text.
  23. G

Dug a bit and found a LCDFast package that actually does the work. Going to putter around with the LCD for a little while, get to really understand how to work it, then take a look at the uSD card reader. Now, if I only had something else than a tiny multiturn trimpot to adjust the...
  24. G

I've been reading up on the 44780, and since it can only support up to 80chars, there will be 2x 44780 chips on a 40x4 LCD. Well, that explains the TWO Enable pins... It also basically means the LCD driver package is elfed up. 'Supports any size'... To make it more fun, I have a very...
  25. G

The simple way? Then I'd be bit-banging on an old Psion Organiser II... And if I wanted to stay away from interrupts, I'd use a Propeller. No interrupts there... only 8 x 32bit cores. (But programming parallell execution in a high-level interpreted OO language is making my head spin... )...
  26. G

The panel is supposed to be based on the Hitachi HD44780 which should be suppored by at least 2 libraries... I don't think that is I2C? (16pins plus backlight) I'm not happy about doing too much in the loop function. I may attach a keyboard or other inputs later, and doing all kinds of...
  27. G

Hi! I was in on the KS for the 3.6 way back when because it looked like an EPOC item... And now I'm about to embark on my first little project(no not a blinking LED... ) I'm hoping to read a uSD card, open a file and read some text from it, then display that text on a text-LCD (a 4004 panel...
Back