Search results

1. M

New library and example: Read-TSL1402R-Optical-Sensor-using-Teensy-3.x

Sorry for the long time to reply, I am pretty busy nowadays. If you check my larger github, I did a release for plain Arduino as well. You'll have to look at the comments and code to see how things are hooked up, but I got it to run fine, Arduino to USB serial to PC to Processing app. Here is a...
  2. M

Options for 'bare-metal' development

That's my goal anyway. I have the electronics done pretty much, and posted Teensy/Processing stuff related to the linear photodiode array sensor. What's needed next is a way to apply this in a sensor head that goes on the cnc machine. I am looking at triangulation vs a cantilever probe tip kind...
  3. M

ADNS-3080 optical flow sensor, high speed camera

Oh, an encoder application. The idea is the less pixels to process, the faster you can go. Down to a few individual photodiodes. You can interpolate between them also for more accuracy without more physical "pixels" (or photodiodes). But absolute encoders need a row of pixels generally, to be...
  4. M

Oh, I see it talks SPI, they mention "popular 24 mhz SPI" tables all over the data sheet. It has a Frame Capture mode to get raw data, but I can't discern if the 6,469 max framerate is for position report frames, or raw data frames. I would think raw data is more like 900 bytes per frame X...
  5. M

I do a lot with linear photodiode arrays. What is your sensor used for, or what is it trying to see, and what is it controlling or feeding with it's result? I am trying to determine what order of magnitude the update rate should be, based on the context of what you are using it for. Maybe you...
  6. M

Re: CNC Controller Progress Strooom, Nice to hear you have made such progress on your Teensy-based cnc controller! I would like to experiment using it to control my cnc machine when you get a reasonably stable release out. I can help with testing some, and later on I want to see if I can...
  7. M

New library and example: Read-TSL1410R-Optical-Sensor-using-Teensy-3.x

OK, I just posted to github 2 new libraries & examples and a Processing based data Visualizer version 2. These all use the new serial protocol. I also added a display to the Teensy example, so you can move a wire casting a shadow over the sensor, and see it show on the display, along with...
  8. M

Thanks, good potential. Processing itself reads from JSSC. Maybe I can optimize the stream for my use of a ReadBytesUntil() strategy. Using JSSC instead of the Processing Serial Library essentially entails reading directly from JSSC like Processing Serial does. I could comment out a bunch of...
  9. M

I didn't use jssc for serial. Now you got me curious about it, I'll take a look. I spun a new Java thread that polls for bytes and uses Processing's readBytesUntil(). When it misses a read more than x times, I slow the thread with a millisecond pause to keep it from busy waiting. After the...
  10. M

I finished a few things lately, and want to let folks know what's about to be released. I will post again when the code is posted. A serial module for Arduino/Teensy/Processing, which allows binary transfer of sensor data interleaved with other telemetry. Each flavor of transmission is marked...
  11. M

Both ideas make sense to me on the intuitive level, use a separate DMA channel for making the dir signal, and changing output[] into a ring buffer. Towards the matter of how to implement an example, I assume it would have a source loop feeding the output[] ring buffer. (in chunks?) Then, DMA...
  12. M

Paul, I ran your demo from your post above with the scope image https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/St...ma_stepper.ino with my oscilloscope hooked up to pin 2 (output). It looks very promising, I see the output waveforms on my scope follow the "recipe" I typed into the table. As you said, now...
  13. M

Ian, I have finished the beta version of the subpixel code on Teensy 3.6. It delivers the shadow width and center position to the serial port at a rapid rate. I can experiment with putting it on a 16 mhz Arduino too. The readings from Teensy 3.6 match moment-to-moment with the width and...
  14. M

Ian, I am pretty much done with my new Arduino > Processing serial communication protocol, and now working copying over the sub-pixel code to Teensy 3.6. The serial is nice enough to release as it's own library or code. I hit all my goals; a more flexible protocol, can send ints and floats for...
  15. M

Progress on Subpixel code conversion I am currently coding a new serial protocol for streaming the line sensor data from Teensy to Processing (or other apps in the future) I am designing it for at least two modes, one which streams the raw pixel data, like it does now, and another mode which...
  16. M

At first glance, I am not sure where you would apply it or how. I looked up SLA 3D printers to refresh my memory. I see each layer is hardened on the bottom of the tray using a pattern of light to define what gets hardened, and then this hardened layer is peeled off the bottom of the liquid...
  17. M

I feel inclined to throw my two cents in here, because I play in both worlds, Teensy and CNC router stuff. I think Teensy for cnc is one of the best ideas I have chanced across in this Forum. I own a little YooCNC 6040, which I retrofitted with new electronics and a water system for routing...
  18. M

Where to buy Look at my post above for a page where you can order a different brand of sensors, which are compatible to the AMS line, they should work the same Arduino software-wise. The TSL1402R and some others in that family are marked as end-of-life, production is set to stop soon, and I...
  19. M

Oh, there is also a compatible brand, which claims to be compatible. IC Haus, in Germany makes these same sensors, and at least in some they claim pin compatibility to the ones I am using. I can't see pin-based ones, there are LGA or BGA surface mount, but these have the 400 pixels per inch at...
  20. M

Nice setup. The trick here would be a laser line casting a shadow onto the sensor, and some minor shielding or filter to protect against ambient light. The sensor is very sensitive, so a dark filter like sunglasses use would be useful if you illuminate with a laser, plus block ambient light...
  21. M

Oh, I didn't realize that it's already designed to be vertical, and sometimes desktop as well. Those are some good pictures of various setups. I looked through the pictures and saw the vertical examples. I assume the design you are aiming for would replace the hanging loop with a straight...
  22. M

It also occured to me that for a compact design, you could have the extruder oriented vertically, with the extrusion nozzle at the bottom pointed at the floor, the whole affair mounted on the wall into the wall studs, like a TV etc. Spool at the bottom. Filament falls towards and is pulled into...
  23. M

How many grams or ounces a pulling force are we talking about? I imagine the filament to be quite delicate especially right after the extrusion nozzle. And a chain (or filament) is only as strong as it's weakest link. I see it supports a number of feet of itself, so that kind of puts a ballpark...
  24. M

I am interested in the Atlas scanner too. Will you be selling more of these or others? I want to apply the subpixel code to some scanner software I was playing around with, it would make a nice increase in resolution. I am doing it now for 1d and I'd work it into 2d for use with the scanner...
  25. M

I found this interesting and informative; he mentions that the way the pros get a given diameter is by applying a certain steady corresponding pulling force, and explains the art of making filament professionally. How It Is Made: 3D Printing Filament a couple interesting things.. They are...
  26. M

Ok how about this, a pull sensor more akin to a digital fish scale, which tugs on the line length-wise? Then we are measuring the pull from the pulling wheel itself, but this wheel rides in a floating carriage on a shaft, and the pulling force stretches or compresses a string or moves a weight...
  27. M

Perhaps I could buy a prototype having the puller-wheel mechanicals, and I could experiment with various PID width sensor / tensioner / arrangements in tandem with your efforts. Do you have a basic filament puller-wheel mechanicals worked out yet, apart from the control loop issue? I would be...
  28. M

Ha, I thought it looked familiar, I saw that first video earlier as I was looking around You Tube. Well nice job, I guess less is more in that case. OK, I see, you want to replace the hanging loop method with the pull method, because it's more compact and elegant, and because it is expected to...
  29. M

I see the Noztek one looks very professional, but their extruder is priced way higher than yours, at 894 pounds sterling. And the winder is sold separately I believe for 595 pounds. Convert to dollars, add international shipping, pricey. But a nice looking system. Here is their winder video...
  30. M

I saw a video of Lyman filament extruder, which is listed around a grand, I assume this is the general species of machine we are discussing? There is a lot more where that came from: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=filament+extruder It appears that you are trying to do the same...
  31. M

Let me answer each of your questions in turn... "The filament wouldn't be able to touch the sensor since it is melted, it would be a couple mm away." In general that's fine. See the description of keeping the light rays collimated (parallel as possible) below. In your planned filament sensor...
  32. M

My fancy Processing sketch for the TSL1410R and TSL1402R has been updated to include: Tracking the position of multiple shadows falling upon the sensor and collecting them into an array as well as showing them on the screen Added a basic waterfall history display for shadow positions. Pan and...
  33. M

I posted an update to the TSL1410R.cpp file. A loop that was supposed to count up to 1280 was only set to count to 1080. So that is now fixed, and the changes are merged.
  34. M

I just posted an update to my visualizer sketch. It takes the usb serial data from my linear photodiode array libraries for TSL1402R or TSL1410R sensors, (which run on Teensy 3.6 nicely) and displays the position and width of a shadow falling on the sensor. It now features pan & zoom of the data...
  35. M

I just published a new, improved visualizer for linear photodiode array sensors. "Linear_Array_Sensor_Subpixel_Visualizer.pde, a demo of subpixel resolution shadow position measurement and visualization, using a TSL1402R or TSL1410R linear photodiode array via serial port, or synthesized...
  36. M

I see, so the minimum length used for the under pads will minimize the leverage placed upon them during breadboard insertion/removal. I have my sensor facing up towards a desk-clamp magnifier lamp which features a large circle of white LEDs. Both the topics in your previous post connect to this...
  37. M

On the Processing example sketches for the linear sensors, I added a threshold to limit interpolation to occur only below a certain brightness, so it ends up only interpolating significant shadows. This way we are not wasting resources working on uninteresting data. Soon I will add hysteresis...
  38. M

I see, a double row is header is difficult to plug in to the breadboard. So you are saying, one row is better overall, at least where it plugs into the breadboard. Also, it's easier if one solders the headers to the back side of the sensor first. I got some straight headers, but maybe I want to...
  39. M

Well, great mounting job, hah. I was kinda wondering about that after I posted, but a proper and neat pre-solder fit, nonetheless. I am making progress on the edge finding algorithms. I am taking the longer tour of teaching myself the steps of optical edge finding, using visualization...
  40. M

Great idea! Your soldering craftsmanship looks great too. My first one with wires looks like a hatchet job by comparison, ha! I think the top and bottom pads of any given hole are the same electrically, so in that sense you don't need two rows of pins, but I see it increases rigidity a lot.
  41. M

Anyone knows if the Teensy 3.6 USB is faster?

Spi I did just that using a seperate interrupt pin. ESP 8266 spi slave teensy 3.6 master. About to post soon. Msg me if interested.
  42. M

I published a new class library on Github for reading the AMS TSL1410R linear photodiode array, and sending the sensor pixel data over USB serial to a Processing visualization sketch. https://github.com/Mr-Mayhem/Read-TSL1410R-Optical-Sensor-using-Teensy-3.x It is complete with Arduino and...
  43. M

Read TSL1410R With Teensy 3.x First Release I published my first release of library and demo for using Teensy 3.x to read the TSL1410R linear photodiode array optical sensor and send the ADC data over usb serial. Includes Example and Processing sketch to see the data. Like the TSL1402R, we read...
  44. M

Ok, drilling worked. Using the tiny existing holes as pilot holes, I drilled a 0.7mm, followed by a 1mm. All by hand, twisting the bit in my fingers. Now I can fit some pins in there I hope. Arduino jumper wire tips fit, that's in the neighborhood. As I mentioned, I had some tiny PCB drill...
  45. M

Yes, but since I have to solder something to the terminals on the sensor chip, I want to see if there is anything like this pcb with socket, so I can solder pin headers to the sensor and have it plug into a socket or breadboard. https://hackaday.io/project/9829-linear-ccd-module That HackaDay...
  46. M

Processing Convolution Demos I uploaded a Processing sketch that shows how to do Convolution. It smooths raw sensor input data, or other things depending on the impulse or 'kernel' shape. From an example from the DSP book, translated into java, plus I plot input, impulse, and output on the...
  47. M

I just got the new TSL1410R sensor chips delivered today. So... it looks like I need to solder some wires to it. I wonder if anyone made a nice little connector or board for this purpose.
  48. M

I am working on the data visualizer Processing sketch this week. I am cleaning up the code and working on improving the sub pixel code. I also realized that the shadow/laser location can be sent from Teensy rather than raw data. Once I am reasonably satisfied the Processing data visualizer...
  49. M

Interpolation in Processing I got basic interpolation working in a mock-up Processing sketch, using interpolation code examples from this little page: http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/interpolation/ It defaults to the cubic interpolation formula proposed by Paul Breeuwsma, near top of...
  50. M

Fine business. This is a great sensor to learn DSP and sub-pixel stuff with, because it's merely a 1d line of pixels, not a 2d square like a ccd camera, so less dimensions means less complex I suppose. I am new to the whole DSP thing; I read lots of stuff on it but never played around with...
Back