Search results

1. D

Offloading data from a SD data logger?

I have a simple circuit that logs very low-density, occasional data to a micro SD card and would like some insight on how others have handled getting data onto a computer I had implemented this on a Teensy 2.0 using the SD to MSC USB mode at it was great. I understand from Paul that this is...
  2. D

Teensy 3.1 CapacitiveSensor Problem

Just so I'm clear: this update is only for legacy compatibility and doesn't extend TouchRead() capability on these boards, correct? Or is there some advantage to using this library over TouchRead() and a single-pin sensor layout?
  3. D

USB-MSD with SD-card (Teensy 3.1)

Thanks, Mevon-- I had suspected given the tone of the conversation that fundamental plumbing work was required in order to enable this in Teensyduino. I unfortunately do need Arduino libraries and am therefore restricted to using Teensyduino for now. Paul, is this still low on your list...
  4. D

USB-MSD with SD-card (Teensy 3.1)

Hi, all-- I figure I'll resurrect this thread to ask about the original subject line. Several months ago there were some discussions about possibly implementing USB-MSC as a USB mode (selected through the USB mode menu in the IDE) to access flex memory and/or an attached SD card as is done with...
  5. D

teensy 3 and external power

Incidentally, Paul, if the power supply were to be a regulated 3.3v input, would you wire the same way (with cut pads and diodes) but supply input power to the 3.3v pin on the Teensy 3.0?
  6. D

Low Power "Green" Battery Operation Solutions For The Teensy 3.

Thanks for this helpful response--I had a feeling that physically connecting VUSB to a pin and reading that was the way to go but wasn't sure if there was a software-only method I was missing. I'm applying 3.3V in to the Teensy's 3.3V pin since I'm using an external step-up regulator (from 1x...
  7. D

Low Power "Green" Battery Operation Solutions For The Teensy 3.

This library really is quite wonderful for simple low power mode switching--nice work! One question: on my project I'd like to use low power run, but only when the device is being powered by an external battery (with 3v3 applied directly to the T3's 3v3 pin and not Vin) and not when powered on...
  8. D

Emulate Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick/HID?

Does anyone have any input here? This is a pretty important question for a (professional) project I'm working on. Thanks!
  9. D

Emulate Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick/HID?

I would like to control an iOS device using buttons attached to a Teensy (likely 3.0 but 2.x would work, too). In order to do what I'm looking to do on an Android device, I can use Teensy's Keyboard emulation to connect to the Android device via USB OTG, and the Teensy appears as a USB keyboard...
  10. D

Teensy 3 MicroSD guide

Ah--sorry that I wasn't specific. I'm wondering about the Mass Storage USB mode emulation that mounts the SD card as a removable storage when the Teensy is connected to a host computer. It's selectable from the Teensyduino "USB Mode" menu, and Teensy 2.0 has it. Comparable to Joystick, Keyboard...
  11. D

Teensy 3 MicroSD guide

I'm glad to see the updates to the SDFat library--I'll have to try them out. Any news on when the SD USB mode for Teensy 3.0 might be coming?
  12. D

T3 SD USB support?

Just checking to see if there's been any work on this yet--it will be really helpful in a few scenarios. But I know you have quite a bit on your plate, Paul, so please don't take this as an impatient nag! Just excited to realize the potential of T3...
  13. D

Capacitive touch on a handheld device?

I am working on a project with T3 that will ultimately be handheld and battery-powered in a plastic case. I'd like to add a capacitive button to the case via the T3's TouchRead pin/function, and I'm having trouble figuring out how/where to place the ground plane to enable true capacitive...
  14. D

T3 SD USB support?

Is USB MSC (disk) support, using the SD card, planned for the T3 as implemented in T2? Thanks!
  15. D

Timer-based interrupts?

Is there an easy command to set up a timer-based interrupt? I've seen threads on manipulating interrupt registers but I think that's beyond my current understanding. Just checking to see if there's a simpler way to handle this before I dive into the tricky stuff. What I want to do is turn an...
  16. D

Teensy 3 Encoder Lib

Fully understanding the lack of optimization, I'd like to ask a clarifying question regarding performance of the code you posted, Paul: When I run the basic example from the Encoder library (on a T3 on a breadboard with hardware set up for a much larger sketch), it works really well. However...
  17. D

Teensy 3.0 Schematic Available

Great--I'm powering VIN with AA batteries. So all is good. Thanks!
  18. D

One follow up question, then, regarding reverse polarity: what is the function of the parallel diodes between VBAT and the chip's VBAT and VIN -> VREGIN? Do they provide any sort of protection from reverse polarity on VIN and VBAT? I ask because I'm planning to make very simple devices that...
  19. D

That's what I assumed--just checking.
  20. D

Paul, you mentioned in an earlier post that there was reverse polarity protection when powering via Vin, which I see from the dual parallel diodes. But will reverse polarity applied to 3.3v harm the Teensy 3.0? Or is that also internally protected with circuitry inside the chip?
  21. D

Accessing virtual serial in Keyboard + Mouse + Joystick mode?

I'm thrilled to have Keyboard USB mode functioning since that's one of the key remaining functions I needed to port over a Teensy 2.0 project to Teensy 3.0. However, in doing the port I added a feature that reads input from the USB "Serial" port sent from the computer to the Teensy 3.0. When...
  22. D

Teensy 3.0 "beta8" Software

Thanks so much! Keyboard is working well so far for what I need... Is there a way for non-Arduino software to access the emulated Serial port from Windows 7 when in Keyboard mode? Also, I am seeing the 9 second delay you mention when reflashing my Teensy 3.0 on Windows 7 only in Keyboard mode.
  23. D

External power on Teensy 3

Hi, lami--to clarify, I'm not interested in using Li-Po myself on this project; instead, I actually will be using 1xAA due to size limitations (and it provides 20 hrs of runtime in my application, which is great).
  24. D

My goal is to have it be safe for both a battery and USB power to be hooked up simultaneously. When power is applied via USB, the regulator and inductor on my power supply breakout prevents any current from flowing back upstream to the attached battery (as read with a multimeter). If I power 3v3...
  25. D

Teensy 3.0 'Keyboard' was not declared in this scope

I'm pretty sure that the Keyboard USB mode is not yet implemented and therefore the functions won't work. Only Serial is working in the latest beta--Paul, is that correct?
  26. D

Good question--I assume the thought is that the stable 3.3v applied to the 3.3 line won't travel backwards through the regulator and into the USB. Is that how regulators work? I'm not an EE. If so, sounds like a perfect solution to me. I'm using a battery hooked up to that 3.3v step-up breakout...
  27. D

Re: li-po charging--I had asked the same question at Adafruit a few months ago about doing the same thing with Teensy 2.0. I don't know that new diodes were involved since the necessary ones were on their charger breakout. But I don't have the link available at the moment...it might be worth a...
  28. D

MCU for a 3 axis DC Servo that uses quadrature encoders for feedbac?

Paul, I created another thread in this forum about compile issues with your Encoder library on Teensy 3.0. Are you aware of this issue? That might affect the short-term feasibility of using encoders. http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/81-Rotary-Encoder
  29. D

Rotary Encoder?

It seems that the Encoder library linked from PJRC won't compile. Here are the errors using the example from the library: ...\libraries\Encoder/Encoder.h:59: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'IO_REG_TYPE' with no type ...\libraries\Encoder/Encoder.h:59: error: expected ';' before '*' token...
  30. D

Adafruit PCD8544 LCD library

A quick follow up: I swapped my SPI display out for the equivalent Adafruit breakout in I2C and it works, even with the commented out TWBR lines. However, it is extraordinarily slow--I write to serial once per loop and using software SPI feels at least 4x as fast as I2C. Perhaps since the TWBR...
  31. D

T3 Power and protection questions

Right. In your documentation for teensy 2 you specify that one should connect a diode between the battery and vin to prevent the computer from pushing current successfully to the battery. Does adding that diode still serve as a mechanism for allowing USB and battery to be connected...
  32. D

T3 Power and protection questions

On point 8 above, would the risk be eliminated if you cut the VUSB and Vin pads to separate them and soldered a Schottky diode across those pads? This is similar to the recommendation on Paul's web page for running with external power on Teensy 2.0. It also seems like the Teensy 3 has a...
  33. D

Touch sensing: sliders, rotary, etc

So I'm a complete novice with all things regarding touch sensing but I'm curious to know if the Teensy 3.0 will be capable of supporting touch control scenarios similar to the control types supported by Freescale's TSS. Obviously the software here is far different from Teensyduino; what I'm...
  34. D

Looking at the size of the solder pads I think an SMT part will be better than the clipped through-hole diode I was able to use on T2. Looks like this part is the SMT equivalent of the 1N5817 diode. Will that work? Which way should the cathode point? I think it goes towards the USB plug and not...
  35. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Fixed! It's fixed. As much as I thought it wasn't, this was a soldering issue. I touched up each pin on both the T3 and adapter and now everything works perfectly. I have now learned to listen to Paul the first time... :) Thanks, all, for your troubleshooting and assistance.
  36. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Yes, I tried pin 4 with no luck. I'll email you offline. Thanks!
  37. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

I'm wondering if this isn't a problem with hardware SPI on my Teensy: I got the Adafruit SSD1306 library to compile (but had to comment out some lines related to TWBR) and run a display via software SPI on the T3's hardware SPI pins (11, 12, 13, and 10 for CS). But when I initialize the display...
  38. D

Adafruit PCD8544 LCD library

SSD1306 compatibilty change? I have this working with an Adafruit 128x32 OLED SSD1306 display via SPI but had to make one more change in addition to the ones outlined in this thread. But I have no idea what this means (outside of being related to I2C). Can anyone help understand what this means...
  39. D

Great--thanks! Didn't mean to sound snippy in my previous response...it's been a long morning...
  40. D

I may power from 3 AA batteries on some projects, and for me that decision doesn't affect my primary question here: really what I want to know is how Option #3 gets implemented on Teensy 3.0. The reason I was using the step-up board is because I was making a hand-held device where 1xAA would...
  41. D

Hi, all-- I'd like to use Teensy 3 with a battery pack and want to check my assumptions before doing anything. I have previously modified a Teensy 2.0 per Paul's instructions here using the example with 2 diodes and a battery pack, and I'd like to replicate that here. It appears that the 2 pads...
  42. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Yes, that's the one. I've since tried different jumper wires, switched holes on the breadboard for the Teensy and the adapter, and have used two different SD cards consistently (one 4GB SDHC, the other 2GB...though I suppose they're both SanDisk cards...). The only thing I haven't tried is...
  43. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Yes, definitely a possibility, and I thought about that first--but I checked each pin with an LED and it was able to light consistently, and visual inspection on those pins looks OK. Paul, you said each board is tested completely on the bed of nails, so a hardware fault inside the board (not...
  44. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Update: I momentarily had the listfiles example working with the SD library in beta 6 (but not the SdFat beta) after removing my custom library folder within my sketchbook, but that unfortunately appears to have been a non-reproducible experience. So it seems that the hardware is capable of...
  45. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Yes, good catch. It has worked well, but I put that in having copied it from another example. The sd initialization fails even if the sketch consists only of the variable declarations, sd.begin() in its setup, and nothing in the loop. I'm stumped!
  46. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

I'm sure the adapter hardware is functional; that's why I tested it on both my T2 and T3. My thought is that the T3 could be faulty, but that doesn't yet make sense because I can't get the SdFat library working in force software SPI mode. I have wired the adapters correctly, and differently, for...
  47. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

So I've bridged the 3v pads to bypass the regulator, ensured I'm powering with 3.3vo, and am still having trouble. I've initialized the library with SPI_SIXTEENTH_SPEED and at one point got the volume format to report but it's certainly not reproducible. Any chance this could be a hardware fault...
  48. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

Thanks for the input, @JBeale and @pixelk. I'm using the MicroSD adapter that Paul sells through PJRC--it has a 3v voltage regulator and a buffer chip (74LCX25) to handle 5v-3v logic. I've tried powering it from the T3's Vin (using USB power) as well as the 3.3v out. There are some pads on the...
  49. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

One other thing I noticed: when using other SPI devices the CLK pin, which is the same as the LED at pin 13, flashes the attached LED consistently during SPI activity. When running any of the SD examples the LED never illuminates...
  50. D

SD issues on Teensy 3

I've been enjoying my Teensy 3 and using the on-board RTC, touch pins, and have wired up LCD and OLED displays from Adafruit. However, I can't get the SD library working with the PJRC Micro SD adapter--either the library that Paul updated two beta versions ago or the new SDFat beta. The...
Back