Search results

1. S

Please please please Consider a hardware debugging on the next Teensy revision

I certainly can’t make any specific claims for PJRC, but I think it’s relatively safe to say ESP32’s new approach to JTAG is the future of the industry. The (relatively) straightforward and inexpensive implementation combined with an invaluable user experience is a development that would cause...
  2. S

USB interface for multi channel outputs, not just stereo

A little late on the draw here, but if you still have any CS42448 boards you’d like to divest yourself of I’d happily cover shipping and any other handling costs. Our goals are nearly in parity and I’d love to collaborate, though in the interest of full disclosure I’m a little over-encumbered...
  3. S

Future Teensy features & pinout

I’ve been toying with the RT1176-EVK for going on a year, and not only can I confirm it supports MIPI DSI output, but it also includes a lovely display out-of-box. Furthermore, the MCU not only includes a GPU and a vastly improved pixel processing pipeline, but includes low-level instructions...
  4. S

Thanks! Work is coming along swiftly follow a period of crunch at work, though this is still a bear of a project and I expect to release the first beta in 2 to 4 months depending upon the ol’ day job. I’m using some tricks with FlexIO, and currently writing custom Windows drivers. Linux and...
  5. S

I’m currently working on a project that requires at least 16 channels out over a single cable… and if anyone’s goals are similar—precisely synchronized timing to interface every individual channel with a DAW—USB 2.0 simply isn’t an option. The polling nature of USB 2.0 doesn’t allow for...
  6. S

"Using" an Atari Pokey Chip with a Teensy 4 or 4.1?

Though based upon the nature of the project and our conversation thus far, I can't envision you doing anything that would destroy your speakers... if you're worried about it, then yes, absolutely play it safe and use some throwaway speakers. Precisely. I almost added "reproduction" as a third...
  7. S

I can only speak for myself—though I think @jonathan322 was largely pointing out that efforts are being made to preserve these circuits from total extinction—but there are damn good reasons I’m using the real deal rather than YM2149 “emulators” for my project, the largest of which is the desire...
  8. S

You certainly can, but the output isn’t going to be—nor is it meant to be—particularly desirable. The speakers will be quiet and tinny, and as testing the quality of your circuit and the resulting output is probably going to be one of your first priorities, I’d suggest sending the digitized...
  9. S

I, for one, am quite excited about your project… and you never know where it might lead if you catch the bug to do more after getting some audio out of the chips!
  10. S

I will most definitely be sharing the completed project! Not only photos and a video, but a lossless version of the track I've been painstakingly composing directly via register values—not only as an exercise in creating never before developed techniques for producing unique audio from the...
  11. S

Exciting! I look forward to seeing what you create. I was considering snagging a couple to play around with myself, but christ are they expensive. So much so that 400/800/1200XL motherboards on eBay usually come without the POKEY, which is sold separately because $$$. One of the reasons I’ve...
  12. S

Plus one less piece of working, vintage equipment in the world! I’m only hoarding YM2149s because they’re still inexpensive and widely available—I don’t want be the person responsible for raising their price from $2-$3/per chip to $50. I make heavy use of sockets while developing hardware, as I...
  13. S

Excellent all around—I look forward to some bleeps and bloops, and perhaps even more! And indeed, the line-level inputs accept analog signals. It will be easier to reduce the range to fewer than 3.3 volts, but fret not; the STGL5000 has an amplifier on-chip.
  14. S

Well, shit, would you look at this. GitHub user ‘brianmarkpeters’ has already created a Teensy/dual POKEY synth. The comments that head the .ino even contain a BOM. A couple of notes: - This project was done using a Teensy 2.0, and it won’t run as written, but after looking at the source, it...
  15. S

No, you definitely don’t want to connect the audio out pin directly to an analog input. You’ll need to first place a 1K resistor to a short line out from pin 37, then wire that, at the very least, to a capacitor and another resistor to filter the DC offset, reduce jitter, and ensure the maximum...
  16. S

Using an NPU/TPU to produce new techniques for manipuating vintage audio ICs

By the bye: The Trio+ looks pretty interesting (“im Stompboxformat” is such a hilarious construction), and something like this could definitely be accomplished with a neural network. It’s reminiscent of little trick I like to play with sampled noise leading into a beat kicking in: Using Reason’s...
  17. S

Nostalgia for one, but also the ability to produce extremely rich music from what is functionally little more than a square wave generator with a few clock dividers, that it remains the primary audio chip with which people are still pulling off new tricks in the demoscene, and primarily because...
  18. S

Good—in that case, you should be able to get going in no time with The Breadboard Pokey Project and POKEY sound chip experiments. Though the POKEY was intended to be far more powerful than the AY-3-8910 and YM2149, it suffers from serious flaws as regards timing and producing accurate...
  19. S

The POKEY is so rudimentary that I don’t think bit banging in the traditional sense is necessary or worthwhile, though you could certainly try to do what I’m doing with the YM2149 (note that I have over a hundred YM2149s with more on the way, and am building a synth that uses a bank of somewhere...
  20. S

The answer is very much yes—you can easily find several videos of people using a microcontroller to control a POKEY on a breadboard, some with links to source on GitHub—and everything you need to a know about controlling the chip is contained within this manual. That said, I do quite a bit of...
  21. S

Precisely. I would feed the IC (or several ICs, as despite the short length of the samples, it would be kind of ridiculous not to take advantage of the ability to run the tests in parallel) register data randomly within all known constraints, as well as bit bang a couple of pins that haven’t...
  22. S

Accessing MicroMod Connector pin13 and pin15

Are you using the M.2 Teensy 4.1 on a custom PCB, or are you using it on a SparkFun carrier board, and if it's the latter, which board?
  23. S

Manipulating vintage ICs with an NPU/TPU

Hi All, I initially posted about this in the audio forum due to the nature of a project I'm working on (with a preamble much lengthier than the question), but realized, as I'm not specifically interested in the discussion for the sake of my project—and, though it would be a better fit for...
  24. S

Hi all! I'm currently building a unique synthesizer using a bank of antiquated PSGs; as I'm sure it won't be terribly difficult to guess: YM2149s. The synth is meant to be used in two different ways (with the exception of one of the YM2149s, which is being used to route 9 bit vocals in real...
Back