having problems with teensy 4.1 burning up.

Hello everyone,

I'm having some trouble with my Teensy 4.1 and was hoping to get some advice from the community.

I've been using my Teensy 4.1 by powering it through the 5V pin, supplying it with 5V. However, I've encountered a problem where the regulator chip gets extremely hot, and I've noticed there's a short between the 3.3V (3V3) and GND pins.

The symptoms include the regulator chip heating up significantly shortly after powering up the Teensy and a short circuit between the 3.3V and GND pins.

To troubleshoot, I have confirmed that the power supply is providing a stable 5V, checked all my connections to ensure there are no accidental shorts or miswiring.

Also i only have 2 pins set as outputs and those are going to a motor driver. They were both set to LOW when the teensy burnt up.

You should post a wiring diagram. Something is wrong.
all the connections to the right go to tsop 4840 receivers connected to 3v3

jp2 is a gyroscope
BALLIN DATA are also just tsop 4840s
DRIB goes to the L_EN and R_EN pins on the bts7960 h-bridge

teesy2024-05-31 203020.png

Last edited:
Is there any chance that the U1 3.3V regulator output is connected to the Teensy 3.3V pins as the pin labels seem to suggest? With a 5V VIN input, the Teensy 3.3V pins are outputs from the onboard regulator and should not be connected to a 3.3V source.

If that is not the case, is the Teensy 3.3V powering any of the peripherals or are those all powered by U1?

Is there any chance that the U1 3.3V regulator output is connected to the Teensy 3.3V pins as the pin labels seem to suggest? With a 5V VIN input, the Teensy 3.3V pins are outputs from the onboard regulator and should not be connected to a 3.3V source.

If that is not the case, is the Teensy 3.3V powering any of the peripherals or are those all powered by U1?
i don't have the 3v3 pins soldered onto the teensy so no that cannot be it. everything is powered by U1. As i said there are only 2 output pins which power a motor driver. I am so confused what could be happening because it works perfectly a couple times, but, then i go turn it on again and poof the teensy is dead already lost 2 teensies to this.

If it is failing right at power on, I would suspect that it might be something on the input power side.

I have seen reports where people have a 5V DC-DC converter powering the Teensy and if they hot plug it in (rather than plugging it in and then applying AC power), it creates enough of a voltage spike on the 5V as to kill the Teensy. Anything over about 5.5V will take it out.

Your DC power source is going through a 5V linear regulator which should help protect the Teensy from any such transients, but perhaps something is getting though? Just a though.

I think your schematic needs to accurately represent how it is actually wired to get more usefull responses. I'm curious if those "sonic" wires are really 5v and go directly to your teensy io. I'm not sure the result is good regardless of how the gpio is set.

If it is failing right at power on, I would suspect that it might be something on the input power side.

I have seen reports where people have a 5V DC-DC converter powering the Teensy and if they hot plug it in (rather than plugging it in and then applying AC power), it creates enough of a voltage spike on the 5V as to kill the Teensy. Anything over about 5.5V will take it out.

Your DC power source is going through a 5V linear regulator which should help protect the Teensy from any such transients, but perhaps something is getting though? Just a though.
yeah that might be the case how could i protect against that

I think your schematic needs to accurately represent how it is actually wired to get more usefull responses. I'm curious if those "sonic" wires are really 5v and go directly to your teensy io. I'm not sure the result is good regardless of how the gpio is set.
the sonic are not even connected to the pcb at the moment.

anyway i thought the teensy's input pins are 5V capable or am i wrong

Back