High-speed digital I/O in teensy 4.1

kkutis1989

Hi there,
I was trying to get fast digital iIO in teensy 4.1. Only use digitalWriteFast gives me a ~50ns window for GPIO toggling between HIGH and LOW. So I followed the code from https://forum.pjrc.com/index.php?th...ast-ring-oscillator-example.41874/post-132359

But when I compile there is an error:

C:
Arduino/my_project/sketch_jun4d/sketch_jun4d.ino:25:25: error: 'PORT_PCR_MUX' was not declared in this scope
   25 |     CORE_PIN20_CONFIG = PORT_PCR_MUX(1);
      |                         ^~~~~~~~~~~~

Error during build: exit status 1

My full code is:

C:
const int my_pulse_pin = 20;

void setup()
{
    pinMode(my_pulse_pin, OUTPUT);
    CORE_PIN20_CONFIG = PORT_PCR_MUX(1);
}

void loop()
{
    while(1){
        digitalWriteFast(my_pulse_pin, HIGH);
        digitalWriteFast(my_pulse_pin, LOW);
    }
}

Any hints for that?

Linked code was for T_3.6. Seems changing the slew rate that way doesn't apply to the T_4.x
For fastest TOGGLE use : digitalToggleFast(uint8_t pin)
Change in slew rate may still help.

For Teensy 4.x, use "CORE_PIN20_PADCONFIG |= 0xF9;" to configure pin 20 for the fastest possible mode.

Here is the complete code:

Code:
const int my_pulse_pin = 20;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(my_pulse_pin, OUTPUT);
  CORE_PIN20_PADCONFIG |= 0xF9;
}

void loop()
{
  while (1) {
    digitalWriteFast(my_pulse_pin, HIGH);
    digitalWriteFast(my_pulse_pin, LOW);
  }
}

I ran this just now, with all settings at defaults (CPU = 600 MHz). My scope sees a 150 MHz waveform on pin 20.

file.png

Should mention, measuring 150 MHz is not simple. My scope is rated for only 200 MHz (but I suspect it might actually have 350 MHz hardware) and my scope probes are rated for 700 MHz. But getting a good measurement requires directly touching the probe tip to pin 20, and a short wire from the probe's shield to the GND pin next to VIN and also the USB host header. If a normal length ground wire (a few inches, or ~8cm) is used the inductance of the wire ruins the high bandwidth measurement.

use digitalWriteFast gives me a ~50ns window for GPIO toggling between HIGH and LOW

As you can see in the scope screen capture, the entire waveform period is only 6.67ns, not anything like 50ns.

For measuring 150 MHz with a higher bandwidth scope, short ground wire is essential. Here is the wire I used for the measurement.

gndwire.jpg

If you use the ordinary ground wire clip, the measurement will be highly distorted and may not show the high frequency at all. Ground lead inductance is important for high bandwidth measurements!

Those ground clips on scope probes are really convenient for low bandwidth measurements, but a lot of people don't realize how they become problematic for higher bandwidth usage.

Last edited:
For commercially available ground clips, search for CT3668 Cal Test.
I use them for several years now and are still "springy". The pin also fits nicely in a breadboard.
1717594662548.png

Paul

Back