Which radio protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EK701

I'm working on a project that involves several low power sensors that will report data back to a central point. Sensors will be up to 1km from the central point. There are a number of different radio options for Arduino/Teensy, but I'm not sure which one to select. I'm leaning toward LoraWAN, but I'm not sure that's the best choice. Remote sensors will only send data on set intervals (vs continuously.) I would like to support a minimum of 5 remote sensors with more desirable. Remote sensors will be battery/solar powered.

Thoughts on selecting the most appropriate radio technology?

Thanks!

Eric

Others may have better answers but 1km is a long distance in data coms. Lora can do it, even there you may find you need careful setup and managment for line of site. Basic problem is that anything that can communicate reliably over 1km will block other users over quite a large area, so gets into territory where licenses and permits are needed. The answer to this problem may have much more to do with your local laws than technical best practice.

I think that, and especially to work around licensing and regulation issues, a GSM/UMTS modem approach would most probably be the way to go.

Hi. Other answers are generally correct, but for a better answer more information is needed. Biggest questions are on terrain, hills, gulleys etc where equipment is located.
Can a directional antenna be legally used?
That said, the ISM band allows much more power unlicensed, but at 910mh obstructions are an issue. Plus your power budget. Check the DORJI modules at 433mhz, also the DNT900 modules at 910mhz. Other answer about licensing, it is very hugely important to check your local laws. Example Australia ISM is very different to USA, and others maybe different. The GSM option does sound attractive.

Thanks for the feedback. No obstructions - line of sight between central point and sensors. I rechecked the distances and the furthest sensor from the central point is about 600m. 915MHz ISM, here in the US, is probably the best choice.

Ok. Good. 600m is not far for line of sight. A reasonable antenna and 10mW would probably be fine, and 100mW plenty. ISM band in US is a good choice. I would however look closely at which is easiest, and your power budget, the range should not be an issue with what you've said. Some of the products I've seen form self healing mesh networks which can be a huge advantage too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back