questions for Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJB

Greetings Sir,

Some questions per your post on hackaday (pasted below). Was surprised that support for Linux was such a major effort. I also believed that if you limited to publishing stuff for most common such as deb and rpm, that Linux support was minimal. What can the community do to improve this time sink? As a cranky old geezer using Slackware, I have had to do some wrangling to to get my Scons stuff to work with each new Teensyduino/Arduino combination, but nothing too onerous (of course this is just a sample of one). If I had the spare change, would be using an OSX box. So will my future efforts have to be on windoze (please shoot me) to keep playing with new PJRC stuff?

Respectfully,
Old and Cranky

Package Seeker says:
October 21, 2019 at 11:26 am
Just one last question: when will the Arduino-Club (including PJRC for Teensyduino) finally do and maintain a plain regular .deb repo?
Last I tried ca. 1 year ago, I could not get an up-to-date ArduinoIDE with bogstandard “apt update; apt install arduino”.

Report comment
Paul Stoffregen says:
October 22, 2019 at 4:11 am
I can’t speak for Arduino, but I can say that PJRC will probably *never* do this. Linux already consumes a large amount of dev time which is quite disproportionate to its small user base. We currently build 6 copies of the software for each release, where 4 of them are for Linux. The absolute last thing I want to do is divert more engineering time away from work that benefits everyone, like USB stack optimizations, audio library features (especially now that we have 600 MHz M7 for DSP), improving libraries and writing new ones, serial monitor speedup & IDE contributions back to Arduino, etc.

Report comment
Ron KG5NII says:
October 22, 2019 at 12:22 pm
How does writing portable C code consume a large amount of dev time due to Linux? Or are you referring to building and packaging binaries for different Linux distributions being the time hog?

Don't worry, you're not going to be forced to use Windows!

But PJRC isn't going to create even more builds for Linux. Well, except perhaps a 7th installer for RISC-V when/if people start to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back