USB panel jack

keithmtx

So my project is finished and working on the breadboard and I'm ready to install in a case. What panel jack have you found that I can install in a case with jumpers to the Teensy board? I am hoping to keep the final project small, so probably stick to micro usb female jack.
keith

So my project is finished and working on the breadboard and I'm ready to install in a case. What panel jack have you found that I can install in a case with jumpers to the Teensy board? I am hoping to keep the final project small, so probably stick to micro usb female jack.
keith

Keith:

Based upon a good recommendation by another forum member, here's what I used successfully in my <TeensyMIDIPolySynth> project: <Adafruit Panel Mount Extension Cable - Micro B Male to Micro B Female [ADA3258]>. For my project, I did end up splitting this cable open to incorporate a 2500mAH LiPo battery & an Adafruit PowerBoost 1000C into the +5VDC & GROUND paths, while maintaining the D+/D- connectivity, but I can also vouch for the fact that this cable worked great right out of the package as well. The really nice thing about using this final configuration is that I can use the MicroUSB socket on the outside of the case to do any of the following: 1) run my TeensyMIDIPolySynth on external USB power, 2) charge the LiPo battery in my TeensyMIDIPolySynth, or 3) update the firmware on the Teensy 4.1 in my TeensyMIDIPolySynth !!

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

I actually had purchased that, and the cable took up so much room in side my case, the Arduino would not fit. Surely there is a miniature jack that I can solder jumper cables to from the board. Searching some of parts supply houses now.

Looks nice & sturdy, yet compact. Let us know how it goes . . . maybe post some pics of your project.

Good luck & have fun !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

You didn't mention what Teensy you have, or whether you want to use the USB port for just power, or whether you want to use it for programming the Teensy. If you don't need to program the Teensy while it is in the box or use the USB for input/output, you could just solder the +/- connections of a panel mount USB to the ground and VUSB connection. Note on Teensy 3.2, 3.5, and 3.6, you would need to use the ground pin next to pin 0 and not the analog ground pin between VIN and 3.3v. On the Teensy LC, 4.0, and 4.1, you can use that pin, since those Teensys don't have a separate analog ground pin.

If you have a Teensy 4.0, that does not have the D-/D+ USB pins exposed on the bottom of the PCB (the D-/D+ pins are for the secondary USB host controller). For the Teensy 4.0, you would need to construct something that goes from the panel mount housing to the micro USB-B on the Teensy.

Adafruit has a series of USB DIY parts that use a standard flat ribbon cable so you can build your own connection: https://www.adafruit.com/?q=DIY USB Cable Parts

If you have a Teensy 3.2, you could use this PCB: https://github.com/macaba/Teensy-3.2-USB

One concern about any form of panel jack is how secure it is for repeated attachments and removal of the USB cable. The boards that kd5rxt-mark posted would work, but they might not attach solidly to the box. It sort of depends how finished you want your box to be.

Another way to solve the problem is to construct your box so that the Teensy's micro USB-B connector is flush with the wall. Obviously you would need to mount the Teensy on a PCB that solidly connects to the base of your box.

Last edited:
Teensy project and case installation

Thanks Michael, I have a Teensy 3.2 and the sketch will make use of both USB data and MIDI. The products you shared are exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Keith

Keith:

If you are going to add traditional MIDI DIN connectors to your project (if you don't already have some selected), I found that <these> work very well (they fit nicely into 0.1" spaced proto/PC boards, mate securely with the MIDI cables that I already had, & are easy to mount flush to a PCB edge to allow access from the outside of the box containing them).

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Keith:

If you are going to add traditional MIDI DIN connectors to your project (if you don't already have some selected), I found that <these> work very well (they fit nicely into 0.1" spaced proto/PC boards, mate securely with the MIDI cables that I already had, & are easy to mount flush to a PCB edge to allow access from the outside of the box containing them).

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

thanks, the project actually involves USB midi data. So I just need take care of a usb connector on the case.
keith

Back