Compatibility with the flatpak version of the Arduino IDE

Toniob

Hi,

As you know, the version of the Arduino IDE packaged in Debian is quite old, even in unstable. It is possible to download the version from arduino.cc but then we have to manually handle the updates.
Another solution is to use the flatpak version of Arduino, available on flathub : https://flathub.org/apps/details/cc.arduino.arduinoide . The issue here is that the Teensyduino installer does not handle this kind of installation. With this setup, I've tried to copy some of teensyduino files (in the hardware/tools directory) in my $HOME/Arduino directory. And it kinda works. The program is compiled, only the call to teensy loader fails.

I think it should be possible to have a teensyduino installation compatible with this arduino ide setup. One of the big advantage is also that we don't need root privilege at any step.

What do you think ? Is it something you wanna do ?

Thanks

What do you think ? Is it something you wanna do ?

No, definitely do not want to do this.

We already build 3 of the 5 installers, and soon to be 4 of 6 (when Arduino starts officially supporting ARM 64 bit), just to support Linux.

But at least all of those are on the same release schedule and they are all built from the same source code. Adding even more copies of Arduino to support (and test), released by someone else on their own schedule, is not how I wish to spend my time supporting Linux.

While I personally use Linux and do want to support it, and a good number of people do actually use Linux. But Linux is by far the least used operating system. PJRC isn't some huge company with a team of developers. We have just 4 people, and I'm the only developer. There are never enough hours in each day to do even a fraction of all the things people want. Adding even more copies of Arduino to track and build & test installers, just to better support the OS used by the smallest number of people, is absolutely not the way I want to spent PJRC's very limited amount of dev time.

Isn't there a way to support multiple versions and packages and also make your work easier ? For example, is the directory $HOME/Arduino supported by the arduino.cc version, or is it specific to the flatpak version ?
Couldn't you simplify the installer ? Why do you check for the arduino version and if the files exists ? Couldn't you just ask for the arduino version installed, a directory to install the Teensyduino files and that's it. If the user choose the wrong ones, that's on him and it will allow your software to be installed somewhere else.

Isn't there a way to support multiple versions and packages and also make your work easier ? For example, is the directory $HOME/Arduino supported by the arduino.cc version, or is it specific to the flatpak version ?
Couldn't you simplify the installer ? Why do you check for the arduino version and if the files exists ? Couldn't you just ask for the arduino version installed, a directory to install the Teensyduino files and that's it. If the user choose the wrong ones, that's on him and it will allow your software to be installed somewhere else.
Note that Paul's installer needs to modify files in the installation. This is why historically, every Teensy release will only work with specific Arduino releases where you haven't modified the files the installer looks at.

Back