Teensy 4.1 + OctoWS2811 + FastLED Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolouis

First off just a thanks for everyone who posted up examples showing how to tie Octo into FastLED and make it work on Teensy 4.1. With a single Teensy I am well on the way to successfully controlling WS2815 LED strips mounted all over my house for the holidays!

One quick question about how Octo works. I understand the original intention/logic behind it was to drive parallel strips as fast as possible in order to form the basis for large matrix type displays. That's cool but in my application I'm simply using it to do individual control of various strips mounted in different places and of different lengths (due to wiring, physical locations, etc).

So I have it all working on the test bench but here's my question. From the posts/information I've found Octo seems to be "hard wired" to drive/address the same number of LEDs per strip; if you're not using the same counts you just ignore them and carry on.

i.e.
Strip 1 -> 300 LEDs, (0-299)
Strip 2 -> 50 LEDs (300-349)
Strip 3 -> 50 LEDs (600-649)

How difficult/is it possible to modify octo so that it can internally pad or address different led counts per pin? Honestly I'm not even worried about saving memory (can always solder on some more ram chips right??), it's more of a logic/rationality thing. Worst case I'll write my own "address interpreter", just curious if something could be done in the library itself rather than having to add another layer on top?

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Strip 1 -> 300 LEDs, (0-299)
Strip 2 -> 50 LEDs (300-349)
Strip 3 -> 50 LEDs (600-649)

Yes, this is the best way. Just configure for the longest and simply use less on the others. Simple and easy, but wastes some memory for the "unused" LEDs.

How difficult/is it possible to modify octo so that it can internally pad or address different led counts per pin?

I'm reluctant to answer this question with the word "impossible", but the difficulty is so high that it's really not worth wasting your time to try.

OK Fair enough, never hurts to ask. I'll just write a parser on the input side that will pad/interpret the values I pass according to a defined list of how many pixels per strip.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back